ForumsWEPRNon-Religious People?

24 6240
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I have been looking through the forums and it seems that almost every single person believes in a god, or a heaven and hell. I was wondering if there are any users like myself, that don't believe in any religious... stuff.

• 24 Replies
hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

I have a suggestion to all non-believers out there (including me). I suggest that you go to a church (or sinagog, or whatever) and listen to sermons, hear the opinion of the pastor (or rabbi, or whatever), and see what you think about it. Because I am agnostic, I think this might help me decide. You can also compare that to the theory of evolution as well.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

The problem with fighting over a religion is because its something to blame. Everything thats different is considered "Bad". You could blame a Jew at the Holocaust for their religion, you can blame a black for his skin. People who are idiots and ignorant can't see natural paths in the world, and want their way. Therefor, we war over religion.

As to know, 88 or more % of America is in the "Non-religiousish" area, including agnostics. [And, they're growing in #]. Though, I never find people polls to be really accurate, unless their those things that are over and done with or where random people vote. Besides that, to heck with them.

I -- for one, believe in God. RAWR >.>

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I spent some time trying to prove myself wrong and find god. Needless to say, it didn't work and I felt really uncomfortable the entire time.
My girlfriend is also an atheist and she came from a very very religious background. We are both kind of embarrassed of our church experiences and end up being very hostile towards religious institutions (not people, mind you) because of that.

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

ya me i dont beilive in anything. Life is life thats all their is to it

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

So many things I could say...

* Agnosticism isn't necessarily fence-sitting, especially if you're committed to the metaphysical view that it is not possible to discern God, regardless of whether deities 'exist' or not. Like myself...this can be equated to atheism in one sense but does not make that positive ontological committment in the same way that atheism does. Also, I don't want to politically affiliate myself with the atheist movement; I'd even rather people mistake me for being a fence-sitter :P

* Hokojo actually has a nice suggestion, though I would extend this to simply being open and exposing oneself to many teachings while remaining mindful of self. My background is also strongly religious and I have also my share of resentment from bad experiences, but from this I also made sure to foster respect. I still attend Church with family for this reason.

* Mega, I can envisage you becoming the next Martin Luther :P

* Asherlee, that is so wrong. You know what I mean

* Devoidless, there can be a winner in a pissing contest...

...no. This post is just going deeper into the gutter. I'm going to stop this right here >.<

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Strop: You only win if you are R.Kelly.

I have attended a Christian service, a Catholic service, and one Jewish service. Granted two of those three were funerals, it still counts. So no one can try and tell me that I do not know what going to church would be like or the such.

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

Over the years I have attended the services of many different denominations. You see a lot if you don't bow your head when everyone else does.

Hypocrisy, hallowed be thy name.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Moe, I have taken a similar path. Though, I will sit in on church to appease my grandmother if she asks me.

Strop, haha....I know. I'm so very wrong like that all the time.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

I don't blame you, Moe for hostility towards religions. It is beneficial, though to at least experience the cultural aspects of many religions. Latin masses in some Catholic churches are pretty intriguing. It feels like you are witnessing an ancient, secret ceremony (WooOOOooOOoOoOOoO!!) especially the way old ladies dress, and the way the priest performs his ritual movement. That's only one example, but it speaks to the historical significance of ritual and ceremony, which I still think is pretty cool.

Showing 16-24 of 24