ForumsProgramming ForumHow to make a Flash game for free legally

43 15519
neodeltai
neodeltai
3 posts
Nomad

I've seen a few hundred posts asking how to make a game, and no responses showing how to do it for free, so I'll help out anyone who seriously wants to program a game in Actionscript, and not spend $699 on Flash CS3.

1) Download the Flex 3 SDK from Adobe's website. This includes the mxmlc.exe compiler to create SWF files. Cost: $0.00

2) Download the latest version of FlashDevelop. It'll really help with writing actionscript, organizing files, and using mxmlc.exe, the SWF compiler included in the Flex 3 SDK. Cost: $0.00

3) Read up on programming in Actionscript 3.0 (or 2.0 if you want). Senocular has a great intro to using mxmlc.exe and as3 here.

The downside? You have to import all your graphics, or draw things in code.

Hope this helps people get started.

• 43 Replies
neodeltai
neodeltai
3 posts
Nomad

It would be easier to have a private jet than fly coach, right?

If you have $699 for Flash CS3, go right ahead. However, the Flash IDE is not very good for actionscript. A lot of people use a separate program (like FlashDevelop) for coding and use Flash CS3 for the graphics, testing, and compiling into a SWF file.

Since I'm a programmer, not an artist, I'd rather spend the $699 on a talented artist and write the code using free programs.

Tony
Tony
35 posts
Nomad

Flash is free for 30 Days, long enough for anyone to try out. You can also get a students lisence at a much reduced price. It really is quite affordable for the range of tasks it can perform, in comparison to some other softwares, such as 3D Max etc.
I find the Flash IDE very friendly for coding in, myself.

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

The student license for Max is actually cheeper than Flash.

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Wow... You are VERY helpful!! Now all i have to do is know where to learn to draw.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Ahh great! Thank you. I will try this out.
But my drawing skills scare me...

lava_king_11
lava_king_11
27 posts
Nomad

what's the website for the free trial?

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Adobe Flash Cs3 for $699? Wow, hasn't anyone heard of downloading for free?

lava_king_11
lava_king_11
27 posts
Nomad

does this work on macs?

florglee2
florglee2
1,778 posts
Peasant

That's impressive, I might actually try it out.

J4son
J4son
405 posts
Nomad

Sure you can Drace... torrent it, then get caught, sued, and in the slammer... really bud, not something you want.

Besides they have torrent catchers now.

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

This might not work, if I was right I would just do the trial, wouldn't want to go to jail or anywhere bad at a small age. So I don't really understand you're idea. Too dangerous.

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

I hate seeing these threads because you are showing people the wrong way of doing things. This shouldn't be done or encouraged to save money. It's like telling someone to buy a horrible quality food for their health so save money. Flash cs3 is 700 dollars because they know it is necessary and no amount of free stuff can change that. Plus as I said before the reward from flash outweighs the price tenthousand fold. Making just one game can pay for CS3 TWICE.

justgotpwned
justgotpwned
1,166 posts
Peasant

Once again the bad way of doing something....

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

It's cheaper to build a bridge out of popsicles and playdoh then to make it out of steel but you don't see them doing that. Same principle here.

Lifeform
Lifeform
11 posts
Nomad

that's really nice.. thnx!

Showing 1-15 of 43