ForumsWEPRFast Food Restaurants: Good, Bad, Neutral?

120 17859
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

What's your opinion?

Both health-wise and economically?

In my opinion, while they're good for the economy providing millions of dollars in taxes, however according to most people they're bad for you health-wise. But, isn't everything bad for you in excess if you think about it eating fastfood isn't all that bad if you only eat it once in a while.

• 120 Replies
KMRaider
KMRaider
197 posts
Scribe

Mine. I used the money I got working at McDonald's to buy a car.

Without McDonald's you could get a job at a different, healthier place that provides food. Like I said, the money spent on McDonald's would be spent elsewhere; people would still eat.
adios194
adios194
818 posts
Nomad

It is good at a low intake level. It is bad for you, I don't eat fast food. I have no use for it, and its bad for me. I don't eat half the items on the menu. I only eat their fries.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Without McDonald's you could get a job at a different, healthier place that provides food. Like I said, the money spent on McDonald's would be spent elsewhere; people would still eat.

These places exist. They aren't hiring, because they don't get enough business to be able to afford another cook.
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Aknerd, are you asking to outlaw fast food, then? Of course healthier places are not hiring, but neither are bad fast food restaurants that haven't caught on to create chains across the nation.

But if your answering yes to the outlaw question, that yes, you would want to outlaw fast food -- then I'd say its unconstitutional. We have the right to sell what we like, not my fault people get fat over it.

Also, the money spent on McDonald's is very little per person in comparison to other places. I know McD's makes more, but you spend less for lots of food. People that are poor -- where would they eat from? Generally these nice, healthy restaurants you all speak of charge more money.

grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

We have the right to sell what we like

Not really, you also mustn't sell drugs (except alcohol and cigarettes)

People that are poor -- where would they eat from?

You can cook it yourself. That's much cheaper.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

But if your answering yes to the outlaw question, that yes, you would want to outlaw fast food -- then I'd say its unconstitutional. We have the right to sell what we like, not my fault people get fat over it.

I both agree and disagree with this. You might be a little confused because you weren't following the discussion all the way back. AnalogMonkey said that fast food WASN'T good for the economy, I said that working at a fast food company let me earn enough money to buy a car so I could work someplace better, KMRaider said that I could have just worked for a healthfood place instead (if there were no health food places), I said that these places wouldn't get enough business, and therefore wouldn't hire someone like me (that is, with no job experiance). In this sense, I am FOR fast food restaurants, because they are the only places that pay people like me. BUT. I Believe that the goverment should be allowed to intervene and stop places from selling products that are harmful to the population. Why? because people are not intelligent enough to make the right choices for themselves. Not a very democractic idea, but whatever. As of 2003, America is the fattest country on Earth (Click Here). We have proved that we are incapable or unwilling to not eat ourselves to death. Why do I care if other people are fat? Because fat people are more health problems, which means they clog up the hospitals, preventing ME from getting MY care.
BeastMode10
BeastMode10
374 posts
Nomad

5 dollar foot longs and fifty cent cheeseburgers are the cause of America's inhumane obesity rate, as well as the 50% chance of cancer.

There's a reason why fast food restaurants sell their meals at low prices, and it's not because the food you buy at Taco Bell comes from high quality farms. If consumers of fast food restaurants actually took the time to find out what they ingested during their last visit to McDonalds, maybe they won't be as willing to eat as much.

I haven't heard my science teacher rant enough about fast food to learn solid facts, but I'm pretty sure that the cow who consists of the meal you eat was either:
A)eaten by another cow
B)quarantined in a pen for its entire life, without movement
C)living in a feces-filled container

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Well, fast food restaurants need meat to make hamburgers. Beef comes from cows. Cows, being a living breathing animal, require food. And lots of it. Food needs space to grow in. Additionally, cows also require space to live. Unfortunately, this space is already occupied by trees. Hence, massive deforestation to make room for cows.

Oh, I know, I was just being sarcastic and annoying :P
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

So I ask you... who's economy does it help?

Oh, you know, that really really big one that spans the entire world . . . .

Being serious this time.
Showing 106-114 of 120