Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

The End of the Universe

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 2:25am

Necrotic

Necrotic

199 posts

Which scientific ending do you belive in?

1.The Big Crunch- a state in which Dark Matter(which creates gravity) prevails over Dark Energy(which creates a kind of antigravity)and all the matter in the Universe comes together at the singularity from which it all came form and colapses in on itself.

2.The Big Rip- The exact opposite of the Big Crunch, Dark Energy Prevails over Dark Matter, the antigravitation is so great that even the fabric of space and time will tear apart.

3.Steady State- The amount of Dark Matter and Dark Energy are equal. The Universe will continue expand and will eventually stop.

4.The Big Chill 1- Dark Energy is slightly more powerful than Dark Matter. The Universe will continue to expand until there is no matter left.

5. The Big Chill 2- The Universe will keep expanding. The expansion will slow down, but never stop.

Take your pick

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 2:28am

Necrotic

Necrotic

199 posts

Those are all the endings I know, so tell me if you know more.

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 2:33am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

In a separate thread (I can't remember which one it was, though), we were moving towards the consensus that either of the Big Chills were more likely the case, with the qualifier that it was still a close call.

What I'm interested in is your use of 'dark matter' and 'dark energy'. Where does this come from?

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 2:34am

Necrotic

Necrotic

199 posts

I have read about Dark Matter and Dark Energy and their effects on many books and sites if thats what you were asking.

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 2:50am

Necrotic

Necrotic

199 posts

If you were asking where they really came from, I dont know. Scientists just use them to explain the theory of the expanding universe, I guess.

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 2:54am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

Well, yes, I'm trying to tie this into the discussion going on here, mainly.

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 6:57am

rytherix

rytherix

71 posts

well, lets just wait till the LHC starts up this may and turns teh entire universe into strange matter =D

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 7:51am

turkishmaniaca

turkishmaniaca

261 posts

No.  The end of the world will be when God comes down with all the Saints and Angels from Heaven and brings us all up to Heaven with him.

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 9:07am

Necrotic

Necrotic

199 posts

I asked for scientific endings, I didnt want to include religious endings because there are many religions and they each have a different ending. Also, this topic is being talked about somewhere else.

Posted Apr 9, '08 at 12:13pm

Megamickel

Megamickel

946 posts

The universe will end how it ends. Nothing we do will be able to stop or change it, so why not just live for now and not worry about it? It's inevitable, however it will happen. As far as my personal beliefs? I believe in the big freeze. Or big chill as you're calling it. To me... it's simply the end of everything. It's God's final act. Everything must end. God will let everything rest.

Reply to The End of the Universe

You must be logged in to post a reply!