ForumsWEPRThe End of the Universe

64 31835
Necrotic
Necrotic
195 posts
Nomad

Which scientific ending do you belive in?

1.The Big Crunch- a state in which Dark Matter(which creates gravity) prevails over Dark Energy(which creates a kind of antigravity)and all the matter in the Universe comes together at the singularity from which it all came form and colapses in on itself.

2.The Big Rip- The exact opposite of the Big Crunch, Dark Energy Prevails over Dark Matter, the antigravitation is so great that even the fabric of space and time will tear apart.

3.Steady State- The amount of Dark Matter and Dark Energy are equal. The Universe will continue expand and will eventually stop.

4.The Big Chill 1- Dark Energy is slightly more powerful than Dark Matter. The Universe will continue to expand until there is no matter left.

5. The Big Chill 2- The Universe will keep expanding. The expansion will slow down, but never stop.

Take your pick

• 64 Replies
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Problem, there. You distribute energy differently, the difference is energy comes in all forms. So even if thermal energy is distributed evenly, things like chemical inbalance and intergalactic giant stars going boom completely kill that distribution. Work is possible, YAY! ^^

Anyway, I did NOT follow the second paragraph.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

But if the energy is distributed evenly, the chemical imbalance couldn't exist, as this creates chemical potential energy. Even though it's just a theory.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

The law of entropy, as you said, is confined to isolated systems, but I don't consider the universe to be an isolated system. We're talking about a steam engine or an enclosed system where heat is the only thing being analyzed.
Also, if the entropy of the universe were increasing, then heat would have to be added to the system - that's the only way entropy could increase. But as far as I know, at this point at least, energy is being conserved.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Also, that wouldn't work, we'd all be flares of heat. Theres other energy in the world that can react. Because matter exists.

I'm not too well fed in my brain on the subject, so I'll leave it to you 2 to fight it out.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Entropy and heat are not directly related - heat is energy, but entropy is a measure of the randomness of particles. Nature likes to put things into disorder, as demonstrated by dropping a deck of cards all over the floor. Odds are you won't pick them back up in the same order you dropped them in if you just pick them up off the ground. Rather, they'll be in a mixed up order. For order to remain constant, work must be done to keep it there. Without work occurring to force order, disorder will set in. It is the natural course of things. Nature likes for things to be disordered, and thusly things tend to move towards the state that simply has the most probability of existence. For example, take a simple model of four atoms in a two-sphere container connected by a small pathway. There's only one possible outcome where the atoms are all on the left side. There are four possible outcomes with three atoms on the left side and one on the right side. But there are SIX possible outcomes with two atoms on each side, making it the most probable outcome. This explains why gases expand to fill a vacuum and thusly increase entropy without a change in energy.

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

I think that The Universe will explode and we will all go to... NARNIA! Just kidding. But really, this thread is like trying to figure out how somebody is going to die, theres just so many possibliteeeeeees

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

I found this, this might explain entropy a little bit better than I'm able to (I only have a basic understanding of the concept).
In any closed system, the overall change in entropy is always positive, that is, it will always increase. It is worth considering this in more detail, as it is fundamental to the concept of entropy. Whereas energy is always conserved (the first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed), the same cannot be said about entropy. The second law of thermodynamics says that whenever energy is exchanged or converted from one form to another, the potential for energy to do work gets less. This really is what entropy is all about. It is a measure of the lack of potential or quality of energy; and once that energy has been exchanged or converted, it cannot revert back to a higher state. The ultimate truth of this is that it is nature's duty for all processes in the Universe to end up at the same temperature, so the entropy of the Universe is always increasing.
Entropy - A Basic Understanding

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

hey maybe theres another universe and when this 1 dies well all get blown into the other one

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

I think the Big cruch wil end the universe, but there is no knowing what will stop the universe.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

In a closed system, entropy will not always increase. If I freeze water, I have just decreased entropy. I understand that entropy and heat aren't the same, but they are very strongly correlated (if not causally so).
I thought your point was something very different than the point you just made, which is why I was only really referring to heat related entropy. My bad.

armorkas
armorkas
396 posts
Nomad

Now Now, if you didn't even post 1% of the logical destructions of the universe, but i'll cut you some slack, as i can out logicize my father, who is quite intellectual. But I see no end to the universe, unless of course you are of my religion, but if i begin posting about that, i'll begin a war on this post, so forget i even mentioned that.

The most logical are 2 things in my opinion.I'll list a good description of them too:
POLLUTION:This is a factor in which people think of lower than global warming. But if carbon and all those other things(i'm not gonna go into too much description)were to make the universe too hot to live in, we'd all go extinct as of then from the drastic amount of breathing fatigue that would happen. Back in the old days, alot of people believed in the theory of Dinosaurs, and insects, sizing up to 12 ft long. And if i tell this to most people, they say it's because they could collect a better amount of oxygen from the air, as back then there must have been at least 10 times the amount of breathable air as there is know. But after 1000 years, i'll bet you most the the humanrace will have a shorter lifespan. Now the second.
THE SUN: as most of us know, the earth has to have been around for 6,000 years minimum, and i'm a creatonist, which means i don't believe in the world as being millions of years old(creates too manytwists in logic)but the sun can't just stay there forever, and eventually it will have to burn out, and it would become a black hole, reletively close to earth, and it would gobble up the earth like a cheerio, but if that were to happen, we may freeze up, and by some crazy logic, we wyabecome inculated and get transered to the far reaches of the universe eventually, and some of us may survive and re-inhabit the world, that is IF we could get a suffitiont light source.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

You obviously don't understand the essence of what a black hole is. A black hole isn't like a teleportation device - you've read too much sci-fi. A black hole is a superdense gathering of matter, which our sun won't become. Our sun will become a red giant, engulfing the solar system, and then a white dwarf, where it will spend the rest of its days burning dimly. But a black hole doesn't send anything anywhere. A black hole pulls matter, light, and everything into it, atom by atom, until the objects become a part of the black hole's density.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

I think, if anything, something HAS to blow up one way or the other or its all a bore

Yeah, Mega's right though, unless something happens from now to the next 5 Billion years, were gonna be swallowed.

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

I think that Chuck Norris will destroy the univers

Hippyonfire
Hippyonfire
34 posts
Nomad

it will end and i dont care how coz i wont b here

Showing 16-30 of 64