ForumsWEPRThe End of the Universe

64 31839
Necrotic
Necrotic
195 posts
Nomad

Which scientific ending do you belive in?

1.The Big Crunch- a state in which Dark Matter(which creates gravity) prevails over Dark Energy(which creates a kind of antigravity)and all the matter in the Universe comes together at the singularity from which it all came form and colapses in on itself.

2.The Big Rip- The exact opposite of the Big Crunch, Dark Energy Prevails over Dark Matter, the antigravitation is so great that even the fabric of space and time will tear apart.

3.Steady State- The amount of Dark Matter and Dark Energy are equal. The Universe will continue expand and will eventually stop.

4.The Big Chill 1- Dark Energy is slightly more powerful than Dark Matter. The Universe will continue to expand until there is no matter left.

5. The Big Chill 2- The Universe will keep expanding. The expansion will slow down, but never stop.

Take your pick

• 64 Replies
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

True enough, we'll probably all be dead by then. Then again, who knows?

Also, Chuck Norris to all can do just about anything. Just about, though. Dont' think he could destroy the Universe.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Something else - even if the sun did somehow turn into a black hole - we would not be sucked in. Gravity is all about mass and distance, and if the sun turned into a black hole, both would remain constant.
You say that a long time ago people used to believe in the theory of dinosaurs - I'm pretty sure people still do, although I don't think dinosaurs are considered a "theory."
If you want to be a creationist, then fine, but only thinking that Earth is a few thousand years old is ignoring brute science in favor of magic, which is not reasoning at all!

ngfan14
ngfan14
875 posts
Shepherd

I the end of the universe for us will be when the Sun starts to lose fuel and cool and expand. It will then turn into a red giant which will just destroy Earth. That's estimated to happen in about 2 billion years.

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

Chuck Norris will roundhous- kick the sun into another str and theyll all bounce round like superballs, causing a chain reaction that would either explode the universe or be stopped my mr. T. Thats my opinion

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

That will certainly end Earth's presence (although I think the time line is closer to 5 billion years, but who's counting).
But what about the entire universe?

Krin
Krin
129 posts
Nomad

Mankind will be long extinct before the Universe ends.

But personally I think it will end in a crunch.

There is a formula for finding out how the universe will end, involving the mass of the universe, and some other mass. I forgot, I learnt about it in Physics.

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

I hope the universe doesnt end

Necrotic
Necrotic
195 posts
Nomad

Krin, I didn't know there was a formula for that, anyway, I'm only 12, and won't learn physics until I'm in high school(although I know WAY more than all of my classmates, who are afraid of the subject, which means I am the nerd).
I dont know when you people at the other side of the world(oh yeah, I live in the Philippines)learn physics, but I hope to learn about this during the summer... If I can get my *** off the computer chair.

Oh, and I wish you luck for Sonny 2.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Recently, when accounting for dark energy, the calculations seem to come out suggesting that the universe will expand indefinitely. But we don't even understand gravity on a small scale, and applying it to an expanding universe has got to have some problems, especially with the way in which the gravity is carried over space.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

I've read up on that. That, combined with the research I did on entropy (which we discussed already), leads me to be more inclined that we are headed towards a final heat death. Which is not the same as the big freeze. Rather, heat death is simply all the energy in the universe being uniformly distributed. But with our relatively low understanding of the workings of the universe, we can't fully understand such things and to think that we "know" anything about them would be bigotry.

squidlidink
squidlidink
479 posts
Farmer

Actually, all the matter in the universe is going to start breaking down, and eventually the universe will only be a field of blackholes.

Necrotic
Necrotic
195 posts
Nomad

But the black holes will eventually evaporate too, leaving almost nothing, the universe itself will no longer be a universe, it will be so devoid of matter that time itself will cease to exist... Thats one of the theories anyway.

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

im going to go with for us the sun going super nova

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

The sun doesn't have enough mass to go supernova. Also, matter does not "break down" into black holes. Are you guys just making this stuff up?
I'll have to read up on the heat death stuff, Megamickel, I don't see how the heat energy could move quickly enough to be uniformly distributed over the entire universe. It makes sense, though - I just don't understand enough thermodynamics, I guess.

notepad7
notepad7
75 posts
Nomad

acording to the Mayans the end of the universe and our world is december 23, 2012

Showing 31-45 of 64