ForumsWEPRThe End of the Universe

64 31836
Necrotic
Necrotic
195 posts
Nomad

Which scientific ending do you belive in?

1.The Big Crunch- a state in which Dark Matter(which creates gravity) prevails over Dark Energy(which creates a kind of antigravity)and all the matter in the Universe comes together at the singularity from which it all came form and colapses in on itself.

2.The Big Rip- The exact opposite of the Big Crunch, Dark Energy Prevails over Dark Matter, the antigravitation is so great that even the fabric of space and time will tear apart.

3.Steady State- The amount of Dark Matter and Dark Energy are equal. The Universe will continue expand and will eventually stop.

4.The Big Chill 1- Dark Energy is slightly more powerful than Dark Matter. The Universe will continue to expand until there is no matter left.

5. The Big Chill 2- The Universe will keep expanding. The expansion will slow down, but never stop.

Take your pick

• 64 Replies
notepad7
notepad7
75 posts
Nomad

you right the sun can't go super nova but some people say that it will expand befor collapeing so big it will "eat" mercury and venus but that is in like 4 billion years

Necrotic
Necrotic
195 posts
Nomad

Wait, that was in another thread, and I remember it saying December 21, 2012(please correct me if I'm wrong).

notepad7
notepad7
75 posts
Nomad

wait I think your right but I just watched "Countdown to Armagedon" on the history channel

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

What Squidlink described was actually a key part of heat death, although his description was inaccurate.

If estimates on the half-life of protons (10^36 years) are correct, then protons (and nucleonic neutrons as well) will undergo roughly 10,000 half-lives by the time the universe is 10^40 years-old. To put this into perspective, there are an estimated 1080 protons currently in the Universe. This means the proton's numbers will be slashed in half 10,000 times by the time it is 10^40 years-old. Hence, there will be roughly (1/2)^10,000 (approximately 5 Ã- 10^-3011) as many protons remaining as there are today; that is, zero protons remaining in the Universe at the end of the Degenerate Age. Effectively, all matter would be contained within black holes, which are immune to proton decay, and leptons. This number is based on loose estimates as the exact value for the half-life of protons is an unknown quantity with only a known lower-bound. The end of the Degenerate Era is meant to mark the end of baryonic matter's influence on the Universe, so the estimate for how long this era will last may change if and when the exact value for proton decay is pinned down. The specific numerical values are not meant to be taken literally, and are provided only for demonstration purposes.

Ripped shamelessly from Wikipedia because I'm too lazy (and too pressed for time right now) to rewrite it.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Corrections:
There are an estimated 10^80 protons in the universe...

...(approximately 5 * 10^-3011)

There.

Zanto_zsnes
Zanto_zsnes
1,148 posts
Nomad

The End of the Universe...
is this the real End cause i think
an asteroid of the form of a piece of earth, That
BIG! and its going to *Crush* the Earth...
in English that is NOT TRUE!

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

.... What?
Could you restate that?

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

yeah i didnt catch that

Necrotic
Necrotic
195 posts
Nomad

I think he's saying that he dosen't believe in the possible endings that we listed, and made another post about The End of Humanity instead of The End of the Universe.

acdcrocks173
acdcrocks173
83 posts
Nomad

man if the universe never ends where does it begin

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

If you're talking about a physical ending to the universe - then it does have an end.
The universe, however, does not have a center as many people think. This is simply due to how the universe expanded.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
361 posts
Nomad

the universe never ends... it does on forever. Some astronomers, though, think that there is a point at which there are no more galaxies... my point is, the universe is like a rubber ball. If you tried to find an edge, you would keep going on forever. If you drew a dot on the ball, that represents all the galaxies in the universe. If you go outside that dot, there is still the universe, just a lot of empty space.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Nope, sorry, the universe doesn't go on forever. If it did, there would be a lot of mathematical problems associated with such a universe.
Also, if the universe were infinite, it would very much counter everything we have learned about the Big Bang and the evolution of galaxies and planets.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
361 posts
Nomad

I don't think you get my point.

If you took a rocketship and flew in a straight line, you would go on forever(unless you flew into a star or something). But after a while, you wouldn't pass anymore galaxies.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

When you say it doesn't have a center like most people think, are you talking about the open universe?
To clarify what I mean, the current evidence that we have suggests that the universe is an "open" universe - that it will continue to expand until we have reached maximum entropy. A universe under these circumstances wouldn't expand in a spherical shape - rather, it would look more like a saddle. Of course, our knowledge of the cosmos is still very limited, and in another decade we could be calling ourselves imbeciles for even THINKING the universe is closed. Or we could bring more evidence to light to support it.

Showing 46-60 of 64