Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

The End of the Universe

Posted Apr 19, '08 at 10:06pm

Megamickel

Megamickel

946 posts

When you say it doesn't have a center like most people think, are you talking about the open universe?
To clarify what I mean, the current evidence that we have suggests that the universe is an "open" universe - that it will continue to expand until we have reached maximum entropy. A universe under these circumstances wouldn't expand in a spherical shape - rather, it would look more like a saddle. Of course, our knowledge of the cosmos is still very limited, and in another decade we could be calling ourselves imbeciles for even THINKING the universe is closed. Or we could bring more evidence to light to support it.

Posted Apr 19, '08 at 10:12pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,765 posts

I think it makes rational sense to consider the universe closed, but you are right - the evidence points towards an open universe; mathematically it makes more sense anyway.
The current models of the universe have it drawn as a rough sphere, so I don't know what the future shape will hold.  If our rate of expansion and the dark energy that seems to be hurling us away from every other galaxy then I don't see how it could retain this spherical shape.  But I don't know enough about the entropic premises to understand the conclusions.

Posted Apr 19, '08 at 10:16pm

Megamickel

Megamickel

946 posts

Rationally it makes more sense because we, as humans, try and force ourselves to believe what sounds better to us. Case in point: There are still people who deny global warming. But the open universe makes sense, when you think about it.

Reply to The End of the Universe

You must be logged in to post a reply!