12 3092
trayzrulz
trayzrulz
677 posts
Peasant

I was reading Cenere's thread about Behaviour
http://armorgames.com/community/thread/5155751/behaviour
when I thought of this idea:

How about adding an extra flag next to the OP that would allow us to flag a thread in its entirety? This way, if one finds a topic to be wildly inappropriate, a duplicate, gone off the rail ect... people could just flag the thread. By flagging the thread, it might allow mods/admins to find major problems more quickly/easily. Sometimes when a thread is really "far gone" I have a hard time choosing which comments to flag so a mod will see it. By having having a button that says "hey look at this thread; there is something majorly wrong here," maybe it would reduce or eliminate the spam saying to lock a thread or move it.

• 12 Replies
trayzrulz
trayzrulz
677 posts
Peasant
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Oh, people actually do read my rants.

Well, I would say it is far easier to report it to a mod. Gantic, Nemo and I are somewhat active, and it would be taken care of as soon as possible that way. Flagging does not really do anything for us mods, as we cannot see and act on it, so unless it will work differently than the current flag function (besides it being for the entire thread, of course), it would not be very effective.
But it might be worth a try, if it acted somewhat like the old up-vote function or something similar, which pulled the attention towards it, if only for mods and staff.

Currently it would work fine to simply report it through our profiles. You gain a whole of 2 points for it (O, and we might get a better image of what you think there is wrong with it. At least it is better than "This should be locked", which doesn't help at all, and still wouldn't help even with a flag-function.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

The flag will just send to the admins, who will take care of it, so if the OP's flag is clicked, then it would send the message to the admins, so they will see the topic itself and take action if necessary.

As far as I know, flagged comments are hardly ever reviewed, but rather just stored until someone pushes a button to delete it.
If an OP is flagged enough, the entire thread would be deleted, instead of reviewed and acted upon properly, which would mean legit posts is going to be deleted as well. A thread that merely needs moving would end up deleted as well.
There is a reason why you can't flag comments and hope for a merit, because it won't get any attention.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

This way, they would sort out the worse ones first, and those minor ones (eg: wrong place) last

The wrong place ones often ends up rather bad, especially if people are particularly lulzy (read: mean). It often end up spammed with "this should be" and "this is in the wrong place" "you are doing it wrong" and so on.
trayzrulz
trayzrulz
677 posts
Peasant

I was just trying to think of some way to tell all the mods/admins in general that a thread was having problems without going to specific people. But, I think you brought up some very good points that I originally failed to consider. I was just so excited about my flagging idea that I jumped into sharing with with the world!!

Hopefully people will just write on the mods profiles a description of what is going wrong with particular thread as opposed to spamming like crazy within the thread(maybe that will diminish after the Behaviour thread--maybe it should be stickied).

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

You can flag their main post. You just can't flag the whole thing. If you could plenty of Ap's would be lost questions would be asked. I think locking it is good enough.

Flag main post = entire thread will be deleted = plenty of ap will be lost.

(maybe that will diminish after the Behaviour thread--maybe it should be stickied).

I haven't even read the replies yet. Too tired to explain (it is usually a big part of my threads, so just waiting a bit > &gt

But I do believe it is a good idea, and if it could be implemented (possibly along with ... No, nevermind, information-sharing-education took over) it could possibly stop some spamming and other trouble.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Oh, people actually do read my rants

Awws, but I do... wait...actually the last time the deer caught my attention, but I'm sure that other times wi--oo look some deer!

Only admins can read the flags. Reporting things to a mod BEFORE things get out of hand is the best thing to do. If you feel that your troll senses are tingling, then by all means report it, but don't get involved, no shouting, yadda yadda...

But I do believe it is a good idea, and if it could be implemented (possibly along with ... No, nevermind, information-sharing-education took over) it could possibly stop some spamming and other trouble.

Somethings considered getting implemented? YAY! Hmm...why not the OP flags be readable by mods this time? Part of the modly duty is making sure threads are taken care of as soon as possible ;-)
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Somethings considered getting implemented?

Well, I am considering it, but I am not a programmer. Which means it is as much of a wish as putting up a page of all the information that clogs up as stickies. That way it w... Nevermind.
But yes. Sadly, atm we are being bombarded with "There is too much spam in games!" "There's too much spam in the forums!!" "I want a meeeriiiit!!" and so on, so putting it up would possibly give us even more stress, because some might say we are being lazy of we don't do anything about it the moment it is flagged.
JackyC
JackyC
65 posts
Nomad

I think the system they have on the you-tube comments is a good idea - There is a Like/Thumbs up icon and a Dislike/Tumbs down icon. There is also a filter at the top which allows you to see only comments which are well rated or comments which are badly rated.

This would help Moderators/Admin to see the well rated, good comments if they are looking to give out merits. It would also help them see the badly rated, horrid comments and try to delete them if necessary.

Just a couple of ideas.

1,855 posts
Nomad

I think this is a pretty good idea. Why are people so down on it???

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

This would help Moderators/Admin to see the well rated, good comments if they are looking to give out merits. It would also help them see the badly rated, horrid comments and try to delete them if necessary.

1) Mods can clearly see what is and isn't spam without negative points added to a comment.

2) Anything longer than 2 sentences will make the mods' eyes twitch, signaling them to see if it's an actual review. If not, they move onto another. Finally, if they see something similar to what a review looks like, they judge it. /mod joke
Showing 1-11 of 12