ForumsThe TavernSarcasm?

22 3950
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I have a confession to make... I don't understand sarcasm. I never have. I literally cannot tell if someone is being serious or if they are joking.
It has been very dificult growing up without the ability to comprehend sarcastic comments. I remember when I was ten or eleven, a girl told me my bowl cut was really cool. So I kept the haircut. Recently, the same girl informed me that she was "only kidding," and that the haircut made me "look like a hairy mushroom". Why would she try to decieve me like that? Why wouldn't she just say what she meant?
I know she wasn't a bad person. Afterall, she did give me some nice hair advice. I'm now sporting a mullet, which she tells me is much cooler than a Bowlcut. I just don't get why she wouldn't tell me this initially, instead of waiting all of these years.

• 22 Replies
XVERB
XVERB
3,139 posts
Nomad

well its worse on the internet. i can understand sarcasm but its hard when you don't know their tone of voice.

leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

There is this thing where people do that i think it's um.... hamburger syndrome...no no asburger syndrome something like that.

Oh and sarcasm is used to insult people when they are totally wrong or..just to insult people. It's normally used when you ask a stupid question. For example

You: So your names jack?

jack: nah its lilly [sarcastic/]

Mostly stupid people do it.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

You can't understand sarcasm over the internet unless it's put right in front of you in a direct, clear manner.

In real life, it's easy to tell if there's a change in the tone of their voice, or if it's just out of the world, otherwise, I also have a tough time understanding...

XVERB
XVERB
3,139 posts
Nomad

In real life, it's easy to tell if there's a change in the tone of their voice,

knerd can obviously not catch that when someone is talking to him
1,855 posts
Nomad

I have a confession to make... I don't understand sarcasm. I never have. I literally cannot tell if someone is being serious or if they are joking.

No way, really? (sarcastic) No offence, but you've made that very clear in your past forum posts.
Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

Made what very clear?
That he uses it?

1,855 posts
Nomad

Made what very clear?
That he uses it?

no that he doesn't understand sarcasm.
Joshman1444
Joshman1444
104 posts
Nomad

I LOVE SARCASM!
Ill be perfectly honest.I could be perfectly defined as a Jack$&*.
So sarcasm comes in handy very often.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

knerd can obviously not catch that when someone is talking to him

Maybe they don't change their tone of voice with him.

I have a very sarcastic teacher...
Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

That says we are having not to much homework today and then loads a bunch on you and says due tomorrow.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

That says we are having not to much homework today and then loads a bunch on you and says due tomorrow.

Yeah. Don't we all hate it when teachers do that?
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Maybe they don't change their tone of voice with him.

It really doesn't matter what tone of voice they use. This actually reminds me of a very tragic accident.

A few years ago, I was learning to drive. My parents had signed me up for a driving class. After school, my driving instructor would pick me up, and we would go drive somewhere.
One day, we reached an intersection and I slowed down as we approached a red light. I didn't know whether I was supposed to turn or not, so I asked my instructor "What do I do now?"

He rolled his eyes and said "Well, it's a red light. So OBVIOUSLY you should floor it."

So I did.

Halfway across the intersection, I crashed into a school bus full of children. The jolt forced my hand into the steering wheel, breaking my wrist. My instructor wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and was thrown clear through the windshield into the side of the schoolbus. The children in the bus were all unharmed. My instructor, however, didn't make it.

After I told the police what happened, they arrested me for negligent homicide (they didn't believe that I actually did not know that my instructor was kidding). However, after my parents testified that I actually am not able to detect sarcasm, I got off.

To this day, I can't help but think that if my instructor hadn't been such a sarcastic jerk none of this would have happpened. I mean, I missed an episode of Family Guy (which is my favorite documentary series) because I had to attend my trial. How inconsiderate of him.
chitown
chitown
1,615 posts
Farmer

i have always understood sarcasm, i have used ot somethimes but not like the person in th op example. my sarcasm is also really easy to understand.

H4V0K
H4V0K
77 posts
Nomad

Sarcasm is so natural for me, I can easily detect it even if people try to not hint with their voice and I can always make people think .. 'really?'

My instructor wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and was thrown clear through the windshield

Serves the idiot right, you are learning to drive... he should expect a collision, and they are supposed to follow the highway code / laws that say 'WEAR YOUR SEATBELT'.
Joshman1444
Joshman1444
104 posts
Nomad

Thats more of a lie than sarcasm.

My instructor wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and was thrown clear through the windshield.

Sheer irony.

Showing 1-15 of 22