ForumsArt, Music, and WritingConcept Art

39 9306
rytherix
rytherix
68 posts
Nomad

Does anyone draw shitloads of concept art when designing and developing new games. I know I do =P

• 39 Replies
nqkoi1
nqkoi1
382 posts
Nomad

His_Drunknness this is not funny and even tho you mean`t it to be sarcasm it doesnt give you the permisson to brake rules.

masta_cheef
masta_cheef
670 posts
Nomad

this place should be called the fight club lol. or maybe just the insult club.

nqkoi1
nqkoi1
382 posts
Nomad

The only one being slightly off topic here is His_Drunkness.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Hey hey guys simmer down. I think this is a good point to stop talking about double posting and fighting, and get back to talking about Concept Art...

Since I am not a developer myself, I can't draw things for my own games. But I sometimes draw some concept art for John when he tell me his game ideas. Its always a nice sense of accomplishment when he uses my ideas!

The_B_Man
The_B_Man
75 posts
Nomad

Hey you guys might b able to help me but i might b on the wrong forum...how do you make a game i mean do you need special comp equipment or what???and why do u need concept art?like ideas?inspiration?can you please tell me what i need to make a game

nqkoi1
nqkoi1
382 posts
Nomad

For John?!?!He seemed like the only member to have good enough art abilities to handle himself.Anyway who does your art Carlie?The B Man yes this is the wrong forum but I will answer you anyway.You need to download/buy a program called flash it costs around 600$ and will take time to master.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Well I just come up with sketches for him sometimes for ideas. It isn't like I do all his artwork or something. But when he describes his games I come up with visuals in my head for it sometimes.

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

<.< the first page was a fail, lol

Anyways, im not so "into" art but i enjoy others art...

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Hah, I saw this thread on the very last page of this forum section a while ago... Why oh why did you resurrect it, Zega? Just bored?

@Carlie:
I wanna see some of your scribbles. Pretty please?

Rollie
Rollie
12 posts
Nomad

I often use the computer to create a concept and refine it til' it's the final product, so no waste of paper :P
Would anyone care to see my background art for a platform fighting game?

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Would anyone care to see my background art for a platform fighting game?
Post away!
Or, simpler said. Yes.
Rollie
Rollie
12 posts
Nomad

Alllrighty, might have seen this in the art competition thread, because I figured I might as well throw it in there :P

http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=test2ss5.png

Easy trick, just use the brush to make the object then burn and dodge to give lighting. A bush textured brush with scattering and other effects will do the bushes, then add aperture by dimming or blurring rear layers. Piece of piss, just gotta be able to draw the outline+fill of a tree.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Simple as can be.
But with a very simple technique, you still manage to achieve an excellent result, which is impressive.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

As zophia said, it's simple but effective. I'm not a game developer so I wouldn't know how to add the lighting effects that lend additional hues and tints, but surely one day I'll learn, if I ever get the time.

However I am doing the art for a game, and I absolutely refuse to proceed without a full set of refined concepts, from characters, settings to flowcharts and schematics. For me that's half the fun!

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Also I think posting concepts here would be an excellent idea!

Here's a character concept, done in Open Canvas.

OMG TOMB RAIDER!?

Concept as some features are exaggerated and will require refining. I obviously wouldn't be able to draw her like this in the game as it would take me years to get even a single scene of FBF done.

Showing 16-30 of 39