Forums

ForumsSupport Forum

Do making Walkthroughs Deserve a Merit?

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 15, '10 at 12:24pm

Royadin

Royadin

293 posts

If Making walkthroughs Deserve a Merit, Why does no one get any?  I mean, I make two Extensive walkthroughs, but no one gave me anything.... what is the point of making a walkthrough then?

Posted Mar 15, '10 at 1:52pm

ymmit

ymmit

45 posts

yes you should get a merit for making a walkthrough

Posted Mar 15, '10 at 2:04pm

Elitemagical

Elitemagical

1,206 posts

Informative walkthroughs should get you a merit, but making walkthroughs should not just be about getting a merit.

Posted Mar 15, '10 at 2:47pm

mrtim

mrtim

2,051 posts

I am not sure about this, because anyone can make a good walkthrough and we may have many people making walkthroughs and people who needs help may not know which one to use....

If you are making walkthroughs in games, I can't see why they are not allowed, but usually merits in games are just review of the game, so basically helping the author of the game. Walkthroughs are helping people who are stuck....

But I am not sure overall if walkthroughs should be a merit. But No good walkthroughs, repeated walkthroughs etc should not really...

Posted Mar 15, '10 at 5:19pm

tommy5649946

tommy5649946

81 posts

only a walkthough that you write the video ones no

Posted Mar 15, '10 at 6:44pm

ulimitedpower

ulimitedpower

1,597 posts

If I were you, don't ask for a merit, as it increases your chances of getting one.

I like this idea, as when people take their time to write long, extensive walkthroughs, it's like writing a very long, detailed merit. In a sense, it should be rewarded.

But like merits, it should also be limited and the standards high. It should encourage users to write good walkthroughs.

Posted Mar 15, '10 at 7:20pm

BeastMode10

BeastMode10

371 posts

The mods should hand pick merit-worthy walkthroughs. However, they already have a lot of time on their hands with meriting comments, and adding walkthroughs to their list of chores may not be the best idea.

Posted Mar 15, '10 at 10:02pm

Armpit

Armpit

655 posts

It would mean the mods would have to check if the walkthrough is at least 95% correct. Otherwise, some merit-hungry trickster may just post a huge bunch of misinformation for a game nobody can beat, and get a merit for it because the mods believe the walkthrough is accurate.

Now, a video walkthrough should definitely get one, because they often require hours of editing as well as beating the entire game and proving it. The only flaw in that is that there's no way of proving that the submitter of the walkthrough actually created the walkthrough, which is probably one reason why this feature has not yet been added.

Posted Mar 16, '10 at 4:05am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

6,755 posts

Just like ulimitedpower stated... if you ask for one, it probably will NOT happen... :S

But I agree it's a nice suggestion, nothing more... ;)

Posted Mar 16, '10 at 4:23pm

ulimitedpower

ulimitedpower

1,597 posts

However, they already have a lot of time on their hands with meriting comments, and adding walkthroughs to their list of chores may not be the best idea.

Then again, they could quickly sift through walkthroughs, and then move to comments when doing their duties. And you only need one mod to give up about 30 mins meant for comments at most.

It would mean the mods would have to check if the walkthrough is at least 95% correct

They can also rely on feedback from users in that thread, as they will most likely find the flaws in them.

Now, a video walkthrough should definitely get one, because they often require hours of editing as well as beating the entire game and proving it. The only flaw in that is that there's no way of proving that the submitter of the walkthrough actually created the walkthrough, which is probably one reason why this feature has not yet been added.

That's true, and I think those walkthroughs shouldn't get merits, as they can be unreliable...