ForumsPopular Media[req] CRBWC 2010: The Classic Rock Bands World Cup!

789 165356
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Since I have been moderating the "Metal Bands World Cup" with a lot of fun,
it gave me an idea...

Why not do the same for the 'Classic Rock Bands' from all over the world?!

So, with credits to Agent_AAS for giving me the idea, here it is!!!

Ladieeeeeeees aaaaaaaaaaand gentlemeeeeeeeeen, we proudly present to you, the

The format of this World Cup for Classical Rock Bands is based upon the organisation schematics
of the Soccer World Cup, same as the "Metal Bands World Cup" was made. It has the same rules
as the Soccer Cup in terms of proceeding through, but it will follow a few rules of its own too.
To elaborate the >binding rules< for this competition:

# The Group stage:
-There will be 8 different groups presented in the thread, one at a time, and each group will
be consisting of 5 Classical Rock Bands that will be pre-selected by me or one of the co-mods.
-Every user of Armor Games has the power to give one point with one vote for one band only.
So you only get to vote for one band in a group, no double voting for a single band or
voting for more than one band per group. No exceptions will be made in this matter.
-When one of the bands in a particular group reaches the 10 points limit, the voting for that
group is over and that group will be closed for voting by me or one of the co-mods. Both the
'group winner' and the 'runner up' band will proceed to the knockout stage of this World Cup.
-If two bands will reach the 10 points limit at the same time in a group, the band that reached
the 10 points limit first, will automatically be declared 'group winner' and the band that
reached the 10 points limit secondly, will automatically be declared 'runner up'.
This rule also applies for the second place in the group. If two bands reach a similar point
count for second place at the same time, the band reaching this point count first, will then
automatically be declared 'runner up'. Remaining bands will be eliminated of the competition.
Again, no discussions about the outcome are allowed, should this situation occur in a group.

The Knockout Stage:
-After completing the Group stage, the 'group winner' of the first group will be up against the
'runner up' of the second group. The 'group winner' of the second group will be up against the
'runner up' of the first group. This scedule will be followed for the rest, to clarify:
#1 Group A vs. #2 Group B (Winning band is called 'Winner I'
#1 Group B vs. #2 Group A (Winning band is called 'Winner II'
#1 Group C vs. #2 Group D (Winning band is called 'Winner III'
#1 Group D vs. #2 Group C (Winning band is called 'Winner IV'
#1 Group E vs. #2 Group F (Winning band is called 'Winner V'
#1 Group F vs. #2 Group E (Winning band is called 'Winner VI'
#1 Group G vs. #2 Group H (Winning band is called 'Winner VII'
#1 Group H vs. #2 Group G (Winning band is called 'Winner VIII'
-Like in the famous 'Battle of the Bands thread', you (again) get to vote once for one band only.
-When one of the bands in this knockout battle reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is
declared the winner of the match and will proceed to the next stage in the competition.

The 1/4 Finals:
-The next stage, the 1/4 finals, will be held in this order:
# Winner I vs. Winner V
# Winner II vs. Winner VI
# Winner III vs. Winner VII
# Winner IV vs. Winner VIII
-When one of the bands in these 1/4 final battles reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band
is declared the winner of the match and will proceed to the next stage in the competition.

The Semi Finals:
-The semi finals will be held in the order of:
# Winner I/V vs. Winner II/VI
# Winner III/VII vs. Winner IV/VIII
-When one of the bands in these Semi Finals battles reaches the limit of 10 points first, that
band is declared the winner of the match and will proceed to the next stage in the competition.

The 'Shadow Final':
-A number three and four is decided in a match between both 'losing' bands from the semi finals.
Again, the ranking of third and fourth place in this Final is decided upon the band that reaches
the 10 points limit first.

The Final match:
-The Final match is held between both winning bands from the semi finals.
-When one of the bands in the Final reaches the limit of 10 points first, that band is declared
the winner of the competition and is crowned The 'CRBWC' Champion 2010.
-The remaining band is ranked #2 in this competition.

# Further rules for this competition:
-You can only vote once per group and only once per knockout battle
-You are obligated to give a good reasoning on why you choose the band to get your vote.
('They are the best' or 'I like them' is not accepted as a reasoning.)
-There will be NO playoffs held in this competition.
-You don't get to complain when 'your band' is eliminated from the competition.
-Swearing and obscene language is not tolerated. Always respect the opinion(s) of the other users
participating in this thread, even if you disagree on their reasoning.
-The 'Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations' and the 'Battle of the ... Thread Rules'
are to be followed for this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'. They will be referred to when needed.
You can find them here:
Armor Games Community Forum Rules and Regulations
Battle of the ... Thread Rules
-'CRBWC'-Moderators: Besides me, there will be 2 persons who will help me moderate this thread.
You can always ask us for help in this thread:
MrDayCee
goumas13
Agent_AAS

>>> Attention! Official AG Administrators and Moderators will always have a binding word!<<<

I hope the AG users will like and participate in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup'! So... ENJOY!!!

• 789 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

LOL Yes, I guess they are 'licking their wounds' right now! Well, at least Gene is... XD
But I've expected at least one vote for KISS along the way somewhere! Guess I shouldn't think! ROFL

Allright... since the person I was hinting to is actually online and so obviously eager to place his vote for the final battle, I guess it's time to post the final in this 'Classic Rock Bands World Cup and have a go at who is the winner of this 2010 edition... :P

Here we go people! The Final battle:

'CRBWC 2010 Final' :

The Beatles -vs.- Van Halen

Have a go at these two excellent rock bands in the history of this awesome genre in music!

People who know me, might also know who I will certainly vote for, but I will give MRWalker82 the honor of making the opening for this battle... so here are those words, for the last time:

On your marks... get set... ready... eddie... STEADY... VOTE!!!

*waves flag vigourously* YAY!! =D

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Parting from my traditional system of lending my vote to the band with the most statistically supported impact on the genre, I'm going to vote for Van Halen! I'm a huge fan of theirs, and have played their music on numerous occasions and on several different instruments.

While I am also a fan of the Beatles, Van halen (to me) embodies rock 'n' roll. They are a phenomenal band with a fantastic playlist and a number of internationally recognized talents.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Glad to see you weren't beaten by someone else and managed to post the first vote in this battle! LOL
I only thought of that right after posting the final... XD

I'll throw my vote in the hat as well, since there's no way I can vote for any other band than Van Halen!!! They made me rock of my socks while playing with my toys when I was a weee little boy, they made me truly discover the genre of rock music, they helped me through college and at this point in my life, they manage to put a smile on my face whenever I feel down! So I can really say they have hade (some sort) of an impact on my lifespan... Eddie, Alex, Michael, David and (later on) Sammy SIMPLY ROCK 'N ROLL!!!
On a side note: The Beatles were a pfenominal band in their time, with numerous hits, charismatic band members and they did have a great influence on the genre of rock music, but compared to their rivals they are a little softer to me, where Van Halen has the 'raw power' that makes me 'tick' and 'explode' whenever I hear one of their songs! And "that's when I'll JUMP!!"

So, the first round up of the score shows a short lead, but nothing's final yet!

'CRBWC 2010 Final' :

Van Halen - 2
The Beatles - 0

Anyone backing MRWalker82 and me up on Van Halen, or are you willing to proove us wrong and help The Beatles to the win?! You decide with your personal votes! =D

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

The Beatles! Of course! I already said in this forum there's no one who's gonna get my vote against them. Their music may be softer than the one of Van Halen, yet in this case that's a plus for me. I still love their music and even though I may not be listening to it often anymore, it still means much to me. And they had a huge impact on music in general, and probably even on hairdo's :P they have earned first place imo.

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

im sorry but there is no other artist in the history of music that has had the influence that the beatles had. nobody even really comes close. while i do like van halen better personally it would be against my musicians code to vote against the beatles

parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

The Beatles. Plain and simple.

Really, there is absolutely no other band that influenced so many bands and paved the road for so many different genres than them. There are so much bands that cite them as a strong influence it's not even funny, and some of those bands themselves created the bases of new genres. A good example of this is Led Zeppelin, who established the bases of Heavy Metal, yet they cite The Beatles as an influence.
Some more recent bands such as Oasis and Coldplay say The Beatles are a strong influence as well.

And the music itself is great, of course. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band stays as one of my favorite albums of all time, and some of their other work get close as well. I also dare you find someone who hasn't seen Abbey Road's cover (or a prank of it). They're also the band that has made the most Diamond albums.

There are many other reasons I prefer them over Van Halen, but it's late and I'll leave you guys with these.

logantheking
logantheking
254 posts
Scribe

I would have to say Van Halen, although the Beatles are the ones who kick-started the British invasion, Van Halen is classic rock, imo.
The Beatles are closer to rockabilly then classic rock

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Update the new score is:
The Beatles - 4
Van Halen - 3
The Beatles have taken the lead. This seems to be a really head-to-head-battle. Its going to be an exciting final.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

The Beatles for sure! They kickstarted the entire movement towards rock music, and brought in the concept of serious genre-bending. They were a huge influence on other 70s/80s bands that became the pillars of modern musical influence - the Beatles are basically the ground the rock umbrella (which is a plant in this analogy >_&gt grew from. Van Halen are a vine on the tree with a few fruits and flowers coming off of it.

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Really, no posts in 4 days? We need votes y'all.

You're absolutely right there parrot657, but it seems as if all the regular voters that haven't checked in for the final yet are somehow busy in real life I guess... that, or they have forgotten about this competition! :/

As for the score update, seems like the Beatles are pulling away from Van Halen at the moment with a 2 votes lead! Will Van Halen catch up or will they be left behind? Still not decided...

'CRBWC 2010 Final' :

The Beatles - 5
Van Halen - 3

This battle will be continued untill there's a winner, so all those needed votes are still welcome from all our 'regular voters'... check in and vote people!!!
lostsage159
lostsage159
61 posts
Nomad

Beatles! they make me smile when i hear them. i love their cover of rock and roll music. i pick the beatles all the way!

waluigi
waluigi
1,948 posts
Shepherd

My vote goes for the Beatles. They had much more influence on future rock & rollers than Van Halen did. They had several number 1 hits, and three of the band members were great songwriters (Ringo was a perfect songwriter, that's why he's not in the three [/sarcasm]). And so its the Beatles who win it for me.

slayguy8
slayguy8
718 posts
Peasant

The beatles because if listend to some of there songs and liked them 7/10 and van halen is 6/10 so BEATLES

delossantosj
delossantosj
6,680 posts
Nomad

although i like van halens music better.... there is no way i can vote against what the beatles have done to the music industry so i vote for the beatles

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,746 posts
King

Good to see that more people are voting for this final battle again! It was kind of slow lately... :/

@ delossantosj : you already voted, but I think you simply wanted to state your reasoning pretty clearly on why you voted for the Beatles, am I right?

@ slayguy8 : your reasoning is again pretty thin, but I will count it anyway... it made me grin when I read it, so thanx for the happy moment there! =)

New score update shows a BIG lead!

'CRBWC 2010 Final' :

The Beatles - 8
Van Halen - 3

Will Van Halen ever recover from this blow and 'Jump' back into the game with a sudden 'Eruption' in votes, or will The Beates simply say 'Get Back' and 'Let it be' because we will win this final round?! You decide people!! VOTE!! =D

Showing 721-735 of 789