ForumsThe TavernThe Drinking Age

44 7687
kegstand
kegstand
24 posts
Nomad

There has been a lot of debate when it comes to the legal drinking age here in US. When it comes to law, there is always an opinion, some are for it and some are against. When it comes to the legal drinking age being 21 we are totally against it. Legal drinking age varies by country. Here is my main argument against this:

An 18 year old in US has the right to vote, and serve in the military. If an 18 year old can make up their mind as to who the potential leader of the country should be and take a bullet for their country, they should have every right to purchase and drink alcohol.

• 44 Replies
Kragoth
Kragoth
85 posts
Nomad

Drinking age is 16 here. For low acohol drinks that is, like beer, wine and stuff. For other drinks, like whiskey, the drinking age is 18.
I'm fine with the way it is.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I actually see a lot of sense in this. Brain under development, alcohol affecting the brain and damaging it a lot...
Oh course, no one cares about this, when they are drunk off vodka.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

On a vaguely related note here, I'm sad to see how many of the teenagers I know irl joined the facebook group "Denmarks teenagers are some of the ones who drink the most... Join if you're proud."

Seriously, why is that something to be proud of.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

That is terrible! Drinking at such a young age is a one way ticket to alcoholism.

When you line heroin addicts up next to an alcoholic the behaviors and withdrawals are very similar. So, in my eyes they are one in the same.

planda
planda
1 posts
Nomad

I work as a bartender. It's just stupid that I can be 19 and serve alcohol and not be allowed to drink. I don't drink anyways, but the option should be more than open. And it just makes underage drinking more of a problem.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Beast, that is not a valid reason to legalize drinking.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

underage* drinking.

Trumpetfury
Trumpetfury
615 posts
Nomad

i think it should be kept where it is. i agree with Asherlee, its horrible to drink underage, under 21 i mean, brain damage, alcoholism, all these things.

start learnin to drive at 15

actualy my sister learned to drive, and got her permit at 15.
Samuslover99
Samuslover99
100 posts
Nomad

In oz, they don't drink alcohol, because they're too busy skipping around and singing songs, and they definitely don't drive. I'm pretty sure if they had cars, Dorothy wouldn't have had to skip down that whole god**** road just to see a wizard

i meant Australia dude, OMG
XVERB
XVERB
3,139 posts
Nomad

the biggest problem with the drinking age is that people who are under 21 still drink, everyone knows it. And they don't want to get caught so they drink really fast, and that is what does the most damage

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

When is your body develoiped enough to drink? At no age. Alcohol is a poison. You can become an alcoholic at any age and die of cirrhosis at any age, and get plastered at any age. Since its part of our culture however 18 seems to be more of a sensible choice. Britain has a terrible binge drinking culture, because the age is 18. Go to most of europe where the age is 16 and people drink much more responsibly. Essentially, normalise it as much as possible, and people will grow up to drink less not more, even if its legal from an earlier age. The american taboo against alcohol is ridiculous and is not consistent with other dangerous substances and practices which are legal by the time you get to 21. You can get guns at 13 in some states for crying out loud. ''Lethal weaponry for 13 year olds, yea sure! A mild depressant which is too expensive for them to continually buy and drink. You outta your mind?''

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

It isn't your body we are arguing about, woody. It is specifically the brain. 21, was not some random number that was chosen. It was chosen because your brain is fully developed by 21. The combination of alcohol and an underdeveloped brain leads to some serious problems in the future.

But, yes, it is correct that alcohol almost always bad (though a few studies have been showing some progress with the affects of red wine and the heart).

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

It isn't your body we are arguing about, woody. It is specifically the brain.

Since the vast majority of the world has had a drinking age of under 21 for hundreds of years, i think restricting the use of it for under 21s on the basis that it will make you a brain dead zombie is nothing more than fear mongering. I mean mobile phones are said to be dangerous for underdeveloped brains too, but kids still use them and seem to be doing fine.
Possiblelnstability
Possiblelnstability
194 posts
Nomad

When you line heroin addicts up next to an alcoholic the behaviors and withdrawals are very similar. So, in my eyes they are one in the same.

That's unfortunate, because they really, really aren't. That's like saying aspirin is the same as vicodin.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

PI, in just a little bit I will post the chart that let's you do the comparison. It is strikingly similar. But we are not talking about the actually substance being taken, I am talking about withdrawal symptoms and behaviors.

Woody, the argument "well, everyone else does it and it's been that way for X amount of years" does not stand as valid.

Showing 16-30 of 44