ForumsThe TavernThe Drinking Age

44 7696
kegstand
kegstand
24 posts
Nomad

There has been a lot of debate when it comes to the legal drinking age here in US. When it comes to law, there is always an opinion, some are for it and some are against. When it comes to the legal drinking age being 21 we are totally against it. Legal drinking age varies by country. Here is my main argument against this:

An 18 year old in US has the right to vote, and serve in the military. If an 18 year old can make up their mind as to who the potential leader of the country should be and take a bullet for their country, they should have every right to purchase and drink alcohol.

• 44 Replies
JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

Well their main argument is that it's bad for your brain development if you drink before you're 21. My argument is that getting shot while serving in the army is also bad for your development, so maybe they should raise the age that you can serve in the military.

kegstand
kegstand
24 posts
Nomad

But when you turn 18 your an "adult" so you should at least be able to make your own decision to drink, even if it is bad for your development"

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Pretty simple the fact is when your drunk you cause alot of damage and the number of incident would grow lager if more younger people would drink since they have less sense and less self control in general than their older counterparts.

kegstand
kegstand
24 posts
Nomad

yes but, Anyone under 21 sees alcohol as a "forbidden fruit." The curiosity leads to more people under the age of 21 drinking anyway. So if we were to lower the drinking age, it would probably lower the number of people drinking as well.

Krizaz
Krizaz
2,399 posts
Nomad

Anyone under 21 sees alcohol as a "forbidden fruit.

That's because teachers have been shoving it down our throats since we could think for ourselves, and even before that.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

Person: Don't drink beer if you're underage.
Underage person: Yeah, sure. I'll totally not do that. *a few seconds of awkward silence* *runs home to drink*

Versus

Person: I don't care.
Underage person: Sure. *runs home and thinks long and hard (a total of five minutes) about drinking*

Mhm.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

So if we were to lower the drinking age, it would probably lower the number of people drinking as well.

You would think that lowering the drinking age would actually increase the number.

Well their main argument is that it's bad for your brain development if you drink before you're 21. My argument is that getting shot while serving in the army is also bad for your development, so maybe they should raise the age that you can serve in the military.

This and:

But when you turn 18 your an "adult" so you should at least be able to make your own decision to drink, even if it is bad for your development"

This, looks to be the main argument for right now. Even if we are 18, our entire body isn't fully developing right now; our bones, eyes, and brain aren't fully developed. In this sense, lowering the drinking age to a child level is silly, however, you are still able to join the military. So the question here is, why are you able to join the military at age 18 when you are still not an adult? Because you are physically able to become a soldier? Because you are finished with the standard school courses required to take?
WexMajor82
WexMajor82
1,026 posts
Nomad

At least you don't have morons in your country that sells alchool to 11 years older.
This people should get some jail time, for realignment of their perceptons about what's important.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

At least you don't have morons in your country that sells alchool to 11 years older.
This people should get some jail time, for realignment of their perceptons about what's important.

Considering this sentence, I think you meant "younger" XD
Wex, you live in...Italy? They don't have a federal law that sets the legal limit to a half-way reasonable age?
WexMajor82
WexMajor82
1,026 posts
Nomad

We have no "federal law" whatsoever.
There is a law that forbids the selling of alchool to minors (under 18 years old).
But the cops have to catch you red handed.
So, some people disregard it completely.

trayzrulz
trayzrulz
677 posts
Peasant

I think that in regards to college, lowering the drinking age in the US to 18 makes a lot of sense. Since most entering freshmen are legal, there would be much less chaos since everyone would be legal to drink. BUT on the flip side, some high schoolers would be of legal age to drink. Thus, the underage drinking/ &quotarty" chaos would probably increase in high school. I think that chaos would definitely ensue for the first decade plus of decreasing the drinking age (possible increase in teenage death). But, I would hope that the "chaos" period would stop eventually, and the US would be in a more chill drinking environment like in Europe or Canada. I guess I cannot pick one side of this issue, so I decided to give you my opinion for both!

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

There are stacks and stacks of journals showing a lot of evidence that permanent damage can be left from drinking before the age of 21. It is really no joke that your brain has not fully developed. It will affect you the rest of your life in many areas, including health issues and learning disabilities.

And stop using the "If I'm 18 and allowed to die for my country....blah...blah...blah." Taking in a toxin like alcohol before your brain is developed is completely different from CHOOSING to enter the military where most do not even see live fire.

Possiblelnstability
Possiblelnstability
194 posts
Nomad

I think that the states should change the age because if I move down there and lose the ability to drink I'm going to throw a s*it fit.

Samuslover99
Samuslover99
100 posts
Nomad

down here in oz, u can drink alcohol from 18
an start learnin to drive at 15
bet u guys in US fellz jealous of meh
bwhahahahaha..........haha

JoshTheBoss
JoshTheBoss
417 posts
Nomad

down here in oz, u can drink alcohol from 18
an start learnin to drive at 15
bet u guys in US fellz jealous of meh
bwhahahahaha..........haha

In oz, they don't drink alcohol, because they're too busy skipping around and singing songs, and they definitely don't drive. I'm pretty sure if they had cars, Dorothy wouldn't have had to skip down that whole goddamn road just to see a wizard.
Showing 1-15 of 44