ForumsThe TavernThe Drinking Age

44 7702
kegstand
kegstand
24 posts
Nomad

There has been a lot of debate when it comes to the legal drinking age here in US. When it comes to law, there is always an opinion, some are for it and some are against. When it comes to the legal drinking age being 21 we are totally against it. Legal drinking age varies by country. Here is my main argument against this:

An 18 year old in US has the right to vote, and serve in the military. If an 18 year old can make up their mind as to who the potential leader of the country should be and take a bullet for their country, they should have every right to purchase and drink alcohol.

• 44 Replies
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Woody, the argument "well, everyone else does it and it's been that way for X amount of years" does not stand as valid.

Thats not my argument. My argument is that,''everyone else has imbibed substance x, and has done it for literally thousands of years without any significant deterioration in mental capacity, therefore to ban substance x on the basis that it is detrimental to mental capacity is folly''.
Samuslover99
Samuslover99
100 posts
Nomad

maybe were not as smart as we could be because of that

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

maybe were not as smart as we could be because of that

Cinsidering most of europe has better standards of education than america i doubt it. That said, its probably more down to the crappy school system in the us than the booze. Either way though, its clear booze hasnt caused a major impairment.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Well...here the age is 19...only 1 year more.

But its funny to see how people debate for more/younger people to drink alcohol. lol?

kegstand
kegstand
24 posts
Nomad

Did you know:

That Wisconsin was the last state to raise their drinking age to 21, and they would have stayed at 18 but the federal govt. was going to cut Wisconsin highway funds, so they raised it.

budokai1694
budokai1694
256 posts
Peasant

I definately believe that you should be able to drink at age 18, its not like people arent already doing it by that age so why shouldnt it be allowed. If you can take a bullet for your country u should be able to drink

kegstand
kegstand
24 posts
Nomad

I agree 100%, that is pretty much the way I look at it. Even if they dont lower the drinking age, people are still going to drink underage.

WexMajor82
WexMajor82
1,026 posts
Nomad

If you keep a too elevated age to drink, some guys will start asking their older friends to buy alchool for them, maybe paying them for the service...
But alchool can do serious damages to the developing brain, so we are on an empasse here...

Naruto
Naruto
658 posts
Nomad

Going to partys to are ways to get it for free. You dont have to pay anyone if that happens.

XVERB
XVERB
3,139 posts
Nomad

and if an 18 year old dosn't want to get caught drinking he will drink really fast and get more drunk than if it didn't matter and he drank it slowly

kegstand
kegstand
24 posts
Nomad

well they would still get caught if a cop gave them a Breathalyzer

ei8ht
ei8ht
22 posts
Nomad

I think that if you were to lower the drinking age, tons of people would start drinking until it became a regular thing. The you realize that it's just kind of something you can do, and after a while the amount of kids drinking would stabilize.

hidude1212
hidude1212
336 posts
Nomad

how about the amendment that made it legal is the legal age and OH WHADDAYA KNOW 21!!!!

Showing 31-43 of 44