ForumsArt, Music, and Writing[Necro] Nothing on Book Writing?! :o

153 57388
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I noticed things on poetry and art. BUT NOT BOOKS?!?!?!?! What is society coming to?! Well then. If there are any short stories or anything you wanna put on here, POST IT. If there is an actual BOOK like a few hundred pages, go to inkpop.com and post it there. Here you can also pop a few book ideas around and share it with whoever actually decides to read and it and or comment. Alright! Ta-Ta For Now! - Mitsuki/ MoonFairy

• 153 Replies
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

We hate books. We hate the semi-literate folks who write books. We hate the pseudo-philosophical-depth of books. We hate the contrived nature of books. We also hate teenagers. That's why, every year, there are people participating in NaNoWriMo, because we hate ourselves, even though most of those that participate in NaNo aren't teenagers, we once were, so we have to hate our past selves. Through this hate, we come together to hate on each other and perpetuate a circle of hate and sophomore attitudes about the nature of life, the universe, and whether or not she is the one, because we know that when it comes down to it, some of us really would just give up and a few brazen ones would stand the literary test of heroes. These are special circumstances, yet seemingly so contrived as to be believably unbelievable because they are built upon so many contingents that it seems incomprehensible that any of it would make any sense. Does life? And yet, it is expounded that this, this is how it is interesting because who would want to know about a man who lived, grew, and died. Who but his mother? It is contrived, all of it, like the social constructs that stratify every nation. We are different but the same but not all of us are good enough to be the best, yet all they talk about are the best, the special circumstances, and even if not that, the dull is droll or sensationalized because the truth isn't that interesting. It is just a carcass of facts, but even then, the carcass must mean something, because once upon a time, I was a boy...

--excerpt from an imaginary book that doesn't exist.

On a more serious note, you can try to dig your way through the heavily mildewed, coffee-tea-stained pages of this forum looking for what you want because there's some stuff out there. It just ain't popular.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

There are plenty of short stories floating around on this forum, but in general you are probably right: less people write stories both short and long. Or rather, the users who do are presently absent. If you search the backlog of threads you'll find them. Also, we have a small National Novel Writing Month following here (which I do regularly), though I was less successful recruiting people for ScriptFrenzy.

As for people who write novels, there are few actually capable of doing that in any convincing manner in general anyway. Most people think they can, but then realise just how difficult and lengthy the process is, and can't commit. I can't remember anybody else on this forum who is currently working on a novel other than myself.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

>:O I got ninja'd!

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Ah darn. Well this thread was an epic fail. Btw I am working on a novel to. I just can't end it.... And Gantic, I think you have alot of hate if your life. You should work on that. I unsterstood all of what you were saying, but It just doesn't really click. It might be because I don't really get it, or it might be because it just doesn't make any sense because it wasn't centered upon the topic of questioning.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

hahahahaahahahahaha. MoonFairy, Gantic's massive rant paragraph was a joke. It became apparent at this point:

We also hate teenagers. That's why, every year, there are people participating in NaNoWriMo, because we hate ourselves

That's just his brand of humour. He's so dry. And hateful :P

Anyway, why not share your book ideas. Not like it would hurt!
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Well who is there to share it with if noone else besides you ( not saying that is a bad thing, I would be happy to share book ideas with you ) lol. And it must be awesome to be a mod. You get colored text! XD
And i would say that I knew that, but I didn't. XD

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

It's weird. It's like they are serious..but joking at the same time! It must be sarcasm! Nah...

I made a novel once. 'Cept no one but one person read it XD I got bored typing it so it's sorta dead in the archives of the AG library of the AMW.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

It is a bit creepy lol. what was it about?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Note: Apparently, there are generalised word-length guidelines as to what constitutes a short story, a novella, and a novel. Short stories can be anything up to 20k words or so... that one's pretty vague. Novellas are generally considered to be up to about 50k, as this makes for a pretty slim book. But beyond that, and you're looking at it being called a novel.

Which means that if the content of the WoM original character tournament were to be compiled into a book, it would actually be novel length. I had no idea that it had become so large.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Btw I am working on a novel to.
That makes three of us.

Well who is there to share it with if noone else besides you
There's me. Often silent but ever watchful... Kinda like a more romantic version of Devoidless.

Anyways, I have a writing thread, but I never update and it's not really a novel.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Kinda like a more romantic version of Devoidless.

Now that's the creepiest thing I've seen on this thread :P Devoidless' idea of romance involves chai- uh nevermind.

POST SOME GENRES GUIZE. For example, mine's best termed speculative fiction.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Cool I will check it out There are 3 people! more than I had hoped for! \\m/ >.<\\m/

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I would add a contest, but who would write a few paragraphs? and how would it earn a merit? lol. And the book I am working on is a supernatural romantic tragedy. Common for authors my age. What about the rest of you?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

For example, mine's best termed speculative fiction.

Oh, I should have said, this is a project not posted here. Once I complete the brief (it is big), I might post some content and sketches and concepts etc. on my own thread.

The WoM itself, as a genre, would probably belong in slapstick comedy and action...
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I would add a contest, but who would write a few paragraphs? and how would it earn a merit? lol. And the book I am working on is a supernatural romantic tragedy. Common for authors my age. What about the rest of you?
THIS ISN't SHOWING UP EVEN AFTER I SUBMIT IT. WTF. thank god for copy and paste.

Showing 1-15 of 153