ForumsWEPRHow is not being christain weird?

147 21422
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

ok, so as ive posted before i am forced to go to church and all, well today i was going into the youth wing of the church and the usual greetings, same people etc. except today someone brought up something about all other religions are stupid, and everyone in them is stupid. well this made me very mad (because yes i am an athiest), and i said: what makes you so certain that god is true, and i tried to explain that they were not being fair, suddenly for some reason i was being called weird...by everyone. so i was spending the entire 3 hours i was there listening to people call me weird and trying to explain other views on life. so this is what i want to know, how is having another view on life weird?

• 147 Replies
hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

I trust science over the Bible, but if there was something else that could prove better than science, I would trust that more. Science is not the only way, but CURRENTLY it is the most believable.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

@Swithfoot

I believe that part of believing in Jesus is faith, but part is also based on Science and History.

If they found the tomb of Jesus and inside where his Bones and they proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was his body; then I would have to change what I believe. Because @ that point 'Faith' would no longer match up with Truth.

In the bible, you have what is known as the 'Correspondents theory of Truth'. It says 'Does this teaching, correspond with reality'

When Jesus raised from the Dead, Instead of sending a note attached to a dove to doubting Thomas; he actually showed up and had him put his hands in his side to PROVE that he was really risen.

Paul throughout most of the New Testament will begin his phases with these lines.

"What I saw"
"What I have witnessed"
"What I confirmed"

Which means that he didn't take things @ face value, He actually went to see if what he was TOLD corresponded to REALITY, and thus was TRUE (truth).

hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

@Switchfoot
How do you know that's not aanother pro-creationism site that uses false information to prove their beliefs? Nobody answerd my earier question either, which was: Explain the Homo Erectus, Homo Habilis, and Homo Neanderthalis. If you don't than I know that is a site made of liars. Why is there no accounts of dinosaurs EXCEPT in the Bible? Hmm..? What if the writer was a horribly delirious guy, or was exagurating by fear, and saw a large lizard. By the way, we do know that dinosaurs existed then, because the crocs are dinosaurs, but these are not the dinosaurs we are talking about.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

Hojoko Wrote:
Explain the Homo Erectus, Homo Habilis, and Homo Neanderthalis. If you don't than I know that is a site made of liars.

That's a bold statement to make. Explaining fossils to you doesn't prove anything. As I said, Things Evolve, Change, Adapt, but these are missing links between Fish and Man, it's just various species of apes.
hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

Acctually, it does. Because the carbon dating on those early humans works (yes it does Switchfoot), and they are dated before the Bible. Also, the Bible does not mention them, as you claim it does to the Dinosaurs, yet we have their bones, so we know they existed.

hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

If they are various species of apes, what happened to them?

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

We don't know what the carbon make up of the planet was long ago, so Carbon dating is not accurate beyond a few thousand years.

There are lot's of articles on the web talking about the inaccuracy of Carbon dating.

hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

Okay, but please answer my other question.

hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

Wait, if carbon dating is false, where is the proof of Noah, and all the other people from the Bible? What if Jesus never existed?

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

Carbon dating has nothing to do with Noah and Jesus.

We have enough historical evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Jesus lived, preformed miracles, died on a cross, and that his tomb was found empty 3-days later.

If you are saying this is un-true, please offer evidence as the burden of proof is placed upon you for making the claim.

DannyAG
DannyAG
229 posts
Shepherd

Switchfoot
P.S: Daniel, did you hear about the news with me?

No, do tell.
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

To acknowledge the truth of the Bible also presupposes many many things. There is certainly some historical evidence in the Bible that I would not try to refute - but these historical events are shared in several holy texts, so I don't think that speaks to the validity of the Bible as opposed to any other text.
As far as carbon dating, I read some objections to the process; some of them are valid and some are not. I certainly don't think scientists approach this method without a clear standard error, but we're talking about millions and millions of years. To suggest that the Earth is only a few thousand years old is to ignore an overwhelming amount of data to the contrary.
While I think that scientific findings are all only relative to our view of the universe and concepts such as time, I don't see rejecting scientific hypotheses over creationist arguments.

napolian654321
napolian654321
922 posts
Nomad

omg daswift arrow there are many ways to be certain God is real the bible creation it didnt happen by accident God rcreated it. different in believes thats all

turkishmaniaca
turkishmaniaca
155 posts
Nomad

like the new forum riting system =D

To Hojoko: When you said What if the devil was using you to speak. You will find out sooner or later what is right and SwitchFoot! GOOD LUCK! May God bring you peace and happiness for all eternity.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

i didnt mean this post to become religion wars, wich it kind of did

Showing 106-120 of 147