ForumsWEPRWhy do people really care

41 8906
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

..if someone is religious or not.

It is not as if someone who is atheist is going to steal your first born child.

It is not as if someone of the faith is going to tie you down and convert you.

Granted, not all people care that much about what the person believes, but more of what they say.

It seems that a lot of people of the faith take it personally when an atheist says something against the religion, pointing out flaws in the logic.

And athiests seems to get all up in arms when a person of faith posts a cliche, factless religious 'oint.' I admit I am guilty of this every now and then.

The question is...why?

• 41 Replies
Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Well, personally I get a little befuddled when an atheist tries to 'dis' Christianity with false claims, but then again, I always drag down evolution and other atheist views, so really I should not be so offended by it. Besides, like I should really care about what some random person from this site (or any other site) thinks about my beliefs.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Because, It makes all the sence in the world. Most discussions aren't casual, you can't bring up the topic of Christianity being false straight up to someones face. If there an intelectuall being (How many of those left?) that can handle a discussion, it never happens.

But, like I'm Muslim, and an Atheist tells me religion is for the weak minded and self centered, I'mma be pretty darn pissed. Not because of what he believes, but how he's throwing out trash to a religion that I hold dear to me.

The same thing is is when an Atheist holds true to his belief and someone that belives in God tells him he's a phyco path going to hell, thats a pretty big threat. Therefor, you're going against someones veiw of life.

I could fight all day without tiring on what I think is right, but I will REFUSE my religion [or that of anyone elses] to be ridiculed in manners that are stupidity.

Also, if someone sais something biblical, which many say, and Atheist shouldn't get worked up about it. Because obviously, the Atheist should be smart enough to know what the other person thinks.

Its additude [Dang, Sounding like my teacher]. Sad point is, some hold their beliefs so dear they are willing to fight it out with someone to keep them true. [Which doesn't make sense if you have any real faith in what you believe in, since then, you shouldn't care what anyone else thinks about religion]

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

If we hold attachments, we are disturbed when they are threatened.

repsca
repsca
13 posts
Nomad

but is being an atheist or agnostic really threatning to religon. I condsider myslef agnostic and my partner and her family are catholic, its not an issue because they are ordinary people, its hard liners on each side that make it an issue in the first place

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

I dont care as long as atheists keep their thoughts to themselves, my best friend is an athiest but doesnt try to tell me theres no god

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Strop, you are amazing. XP

Also, Usually familys are different based on cultural beliefs, traditional beleifs, and religious beleifs. So some people feel different than other, I still say its no reason to be hatin' on one another. >.>

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Repsca:

Certain "subtypes" of atheist do tend to diametrically oppose themselves to religion, usually being quite actively anti-religious. This isn't true of all atheists, but there is a clear political movement of atheists who believe that religion is wasteful, pointless or deluded and will campaign for its eradication. Hence certain strains of atheism are in fact threatening to religion.

The converse is also true to an extent- much of the fear of religion comes from the much publicised religious extremism (which has led, for example to a fundamental misunderstanding of Islam through a range of broad sweeping generalisations, including through comparative theology done by certain Christian churches, no less), and various manifestations of evangelical behavior. Door-to-door Bible-bashers, for example, are your modern representative of aggressive zealotry.

In the end you're right, the world is largely composed of moderates, and our perception of it is largely shaped by extremists. The rest of us tend to argue about how bad it is for our image, heh.

The only really neutral parties in this are agnostics...well, again to an extent. The non-committal agnostics are seen as fence-sitters by the atheists, and the non-theistic agnostics are seen as anti-religious by the religious types. But as a general rule I'd say that agnosticism lends itself to the most neutral position of not threatening any other religious belief (including the lack thereof).

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

I'd also like to point out, that people sometimes make fun of their religion. Just the other day someone said to a friend of mine "Have fun making it to heaven". Implying he's going to hell, using the implication so likely gets ppl mad.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Well yes, now we're edging towards the topic of "can differing beliefs be compatible?"

Some people are pluralist, and say that one god is like another, or that many gods from each system really do exist...the metaphysics of such varies, of course.

Others claim that this is fundamentally against the theology of monotheistic religions. "The only way for me to prove my religion is right", a notable contraversial Australian Christian evangelist once said, "is to prove that your religion is wrong."

Legatus88
Legatus88
451 posts
Peasant

I think people all have their opinions and want to voice them and when they do it offends another and then they feel complled to retaliate either through voicing their own or through violence, personally I feel that it's best to keep my opinions to myself so as to not rock the boat

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

I really don't care what people think, it's an oppinion, i can't change that. But I can see where people get angry when someones oppinion offended them by saying what armed blade said that they were weak minded and self centered, this brings it past the point of religion and is insulting him himself for being weak minded. He didn't say that the religion doesn't make logical sense to me or something similar that is throwing down the idea of religion its self, see the line of offense to alot of people is did he make fun of me, or was he just saying he didn't have faith. Though I personally tend to turn the other cheek and not be bothered by it, alot of people are bothered about what others think about them.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

I am...well, I'm not sure what I am. "Spiritual but not religious" is so cliche, but I suppose it fits for now. In any case, my parents are very religious, as are others around me. I do not find myself offended by religion, only when people use derogative language and, without proof, degrade others beliefs. In my opinion, everyone is entitled to have their own beliefs, and speak about them at will. As long as you do not 'ush' your ideas on me, I will give you the same respect.

On the other hand, there is debate, which I suppose is 'ushing' one's beliefs on another, but with reason. As long as two people are consenting to a debate (note the non-use of the word 'argument' then explaining and defending one's beliefs is more than reasonable. The only thing I do not like is when one person starts a debate when others are not up for the challenge, nor do they care to join in.

I have also noticed that when speaking of religion, among other topics, people will use 'loaded language' to get their beliefs across. Often words are used like 'stupid', 'childish', 'idiotic', etc. to describe another's beliefs. Obviously, use of this biased language will cause others to be up in arms about their side, and will often lead into full-out, unproven arguments.

good_gamer123456789
good_gamer123456789
65 posts
Nomad

its an opinion if its of a religion or not or wich religion it is...
opnion we dont discuss,we talk about it

Daughn
Daughn
29 posts
Nomad

People care because everyone thinks that their religion is the correct one.

SkullZero1
SkullZero1
511 posts
Nomad

I think that its just pure human nature to care about others. If in your opinion you think someone is ruining their lives, you want to help then naturally, but the problem is, they're probobly think the same about you, and so conflict is formed.

Showing 1-15 of 41