ForumsArt, Music, and WritingTanka Contest Theme: Miracles Pg 19. Due: 29th

203 70180
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

As most of us know, the last Tanka Contest died. This is the new Tanka Contest! Ta-daaaaa!

Tanka consists of five units (often treated as separate lines when Romanized or translated) usually with the following mora pattern:
5-7-5-7-7.
The 5-7-5 is called the kami-no-ku ("upper phrase&quot, and the 7-7 is called the shimo-no-ku ("lower phrase&quot. Tanka is a much older form of Japanese poetry than haiku.

Rules
1) Must be original. NO PLAGARIZING ALLOWED!
2) Has to fit the Theme.
3) Submition deadline will be inforced.
4) Only one submission per user
5) The winner cannot win twice in a row.
6) The Tanka MUST be created for this contest.

Easy enough? And If you are questioning Rule #5, it is because some people may be Beastly at any type of poetry and have really good submissions every week, and I am sure that you would want to win too right? See? Fairness makes the world go round. (not really) And if you are questioning Rule #6, it is on here because if you made something beforehand, that is giving you a better chance at winning, and it isn't fair to the other participants *if any)
The Frist Theme is......
Music! Deadline is the May 29th, 2010 Judging will be Either the 30th or 31st.

Also, Me and Thepossum will be the judges. I am the first judge, Next week will be possums. Good Luck to all!

• 203 Replies
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

I vote for 1337

This is now a democracy.

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

No it's not. You may give your advice to the judge, but it's not on a voting system. More of a dictatorship.

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

No it's not. You may give your advice to the judge, but it's not on a voting system. More of a dictatorship.

D=

Sad day...
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Lulz hahaha...
Even advice won't do the trick...
Now if it was me, I'd totally vote for...*Psst Psst*...Oh ok I can't vote for me....ummm well....
-
Awkward Silence
-
Talk about chemistry you've got there player...Original Tanka^^!!

samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Chemistry side note:
H3O is called hydronium and is extremely acidic.

[/chemistry]

Still one of my favorites on the thread; that and fallen's.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Well yours is not bad too Samy, in fact it's actually pretty good except for the fact that it misses some flow. I like how you speak so reverently of water though^^.
My Tanka is based on some ideas I put together for an essay I submitted to a litterature contest.

Dazpiece
Dazpiece
55 posts
Nomad

AND DAZE YOU LIVE IN JAPAN?!?!?!?!?! do you know japanese O.o

Yeah, I'm not fluent, but I'm advanced and can read newspapers fairly well. Btw, you keep calling me Daze, but the name is actually Dazpiece, or Daz (no 'e'!). Ah well. =)
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Ahh, Daz!

Genki desu ka?

Anyway, on with the Tanka.

Flowing, falling free
Rushing, roaring, running rain
Cold, calm, clear crystals

Waters beauty runs river deep
Yet it can be so shallow

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

Waters beauty runs river deep

Eight syllables. Which makes it unavailable for judging, as it isn't a Tanka.

PS: How come I'm the only one who ever checks these things? =P
Dazpiece
Dazpiece
55 posts
Nomad

You're not, but maybe you're faster than me because we have different time zones? Anyway possum is right - it's not a tanka, strictly speaking. Anyway, it's 12:10 midnight here so I'm going to bed. Night night.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

my badness.... didn't mean to Daz.. XD anyways, why do you live in japan?

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Judging is pretty soon, I can't wait to see this thread up again so we can have new poetry to enjoy...
It seems as though people are not interested at all in this *Sob*

Dazpiece
Dazpiece
55 posts
Nomad

I don't know about the time where you guys are, but for me it's now evening on the 3rd so...Submissions for the 'water' theme are no over! Look forward to being judged on the 4th or 5th (most likely the 5th).! Muahaha....

Next judge is thepossum, n'est-ce pas?

It seems as though people are not interested at all in this *Sob*

I wouldn't say that. We've had quite a few entrys. ^^
Dazpiece
Dazpiece
55 posts
Nomad

SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW OVER ***

oops....

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Yeah but it's still only a *few* from regulars of the Maw section, you see what I mean...
We need new people to come here and write a lot of poems, we need to discover new talents!
Well anyhow, good luck to everyone.

Showing 61-75 of 203