ForumsThe Tavernwhat if fiction... became reality?

38 6076
XSilentPhantomX
XSilentPhantomX
715 posts
Nomad

guess what, XSilentPhantomX is opening up another make-you-think type of thread! yay!! :P anyways, what if fiction becomes reality?

What if all our stories, end of the world scenarios, plagues, disasters came true? do you ever think of what would happen? what if the world did somehow begin to fall apart around us? and there's nothing you can do? how do you defend yourself, your family? how can you know that the zombie horror stories we read don't come true, and any second something could happen. we pass off terrible mythical creatures as a myth, but don't you ever think of those creatures when you find yourself alone in the dark?

is the reality of it that we must be aware that anything can happen at anytime? or is the reality if it having the feeling of being secure that nothing like that could ever happen? is fantasy the products of imagination, or a theory? Can we ever be certain that no fiction elemnts will ever come to be reality?

• 38 Replies
seth_crowe
seth_crowe
74 posts
Peasant

I'm afraid that if every story came to be its own seperate yet connected reality, they would constantly conflict. Imagine Golding's Lord of the Flies or Remarque's Auf Westen Nichts Neues {All Quiet on the Western Front} manifesting alongside Hitler's Mein Kampf? It simply wouldn't end well for any story or person. Besides, we'd all end up completely screwed if some of my stories came true.

Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

We'd all be screwed, if every single one came true. Especially the end-od-the-world and zombie and alien ones. So, I would just die ASAP, I'm not gonna fight for nothing.

~RR~

pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

Me might be screwed, but you would have to say it would be an entertaining death.
I'm wondering, though, wouldn't all of the ones that end in salvation cancel out the ones that end in utter human eradication?

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

This is were philosophy takes it's place.

Fiction could be fact for all we know.. that's how it could or could not work.

Now.. if fiction were the real world.. we'd pretty much be.. dead.. or thriving. Either or.

Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

I'm wondering, though, wouldn't all of the ones that end in salvation cancel out the ones that end in utter human eradication?

Well, I guess you could work it out that way. But there'd be a lot of canceling to figure out. :P

~RR~
SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

The world would end. still it would be pretty cool

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

What would happen if nonfiction became fiction?
anyone thought about that?! (Although that doesn't make much sense...)

Fiction is like dreams, we're aiming to create what's in fictitious stories. (Well some of the stuff, but it seems like we're trying to end the world >.&gt

Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

What would happen if nonfiction became fiction?
anyone thought about that?! (Although that doesn't make much sense...)

So if penguins suddenly didn't actually exist? That would be quite weird, because there would be nothing in the world anymore. Everything would now be fiction and be gone. O_O

~RR~
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

So if penguins suddenly didn't actually exist? That would be quite weird, because there would be nothing in the world anymore. Everything would now be fiction and be gone. O_O

What if nonfiction and fiction was reversed?
pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

I would like to see that, actually.

"Daddy, what would the world be like without dragons and magic?"
"I dunno, son, but it would probably be much more peaceful."
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

"Daddy, what would the world be like without dragons and magic?"
"I dunno, son, but it would probably be much more peaceful."

"Daddy, what would the world be like with dragons and magic?"
"Well, son, I don't want to know..."
Roadripper
Roadripper
1,514 posts
Farmer

That would be easier to see, but it would still be the weirdest thing ever. Haha.

~RR~
KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Well if you think about it in technological advances, and ignoring doomsday items, this is already true, because almost all technology was fiction at one point or another.

1700's Man-Flying? Pfft, only in our dreams!
1900's Man-Flying? Yeah, I travel all around the world

Early 1900's Man-Space flight? That's only a thing that H.G. Wells writes about!
Late 1900's Man-Yeah with all the satellites in space nowadays, i bet it's pretty junky up there

You get my point i hope...When it comes to technology it's only fiction until it becomes reality.

Also if you want to get into technicality and if you believe in it, you could argue that everything possible that could happen has happened in an alternate universe using the Multiverse Theory. So in one universe Ape's are the dominant species and humans the wild animals, and in another people are tall and blue with tails. Do you see where i'm going with this again?
leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

One thing UNLIMITED LIVES.

Yeah, MARIO STYLE.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

There would be no reality.

Showing 16-30 of 38