Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Stupid theories about light speed

Thread Locked

Posted Jun 10, '10 at 9:58am

themantschkin

themantschkin

152 posts

This is the Place where you can put absolutly stupid theories about the Speed of light(or other ridiculous high speeds)  .

- if you accelerate a fly to speed of light its kinetic energy is about 1056436100000 joule this means that i can splatter you body over a VERY large space if it collides with you (a .50 BMG round only has about 15000"20000 Joule)

- if you run with light speed  you would permanently see your own face/eyes beacause you run into the light your body is reflecting

i hope you have some wicked theorys too

Posted Jun 10, '10 at 10:13am

roxasthenobody

roxasthenobody

90 posts

Just go 1MPH slower than the speed of light and its possible

Posted Jun 10, '10 at 10:21am

Secretmapper

Secretmapper

740 posts

It is only going at the exact speed of light that is impossible.

var __page_start=(new Date).getTime();

Stupid theories about  light speed | Community | Armor Games

--it wasn't me

Posted Jun 10, '10 at 11:06am

Kirby998

Kirby998

5,236 posts

Even if you are side by side something going the speed of light but you yourself going 99.99999999% the speed of light, the thing parallel next to you would still fly by at the illusion of the speed of light.

That is a real theory.

Posted Jun 10, '10 at 11:16am

1337Player

1337Player

1,774 posts

My theory about light speed (and time travel). If you are going light speed you are basically time traveling. The laws of time does not allow anything besides light go light speed. Say you were on a train going 299,999 kilometers per second (light speed is about 300,000 kps) if you were to get up out of your seat and run forward you be going light speed, right?
Wrong.
The rules of time would slow you down, there for you would be time traveling.
But still even if you were going 99.9% the speed of light you would still be time traveling. If you were on that train for 1 year (I know, who would be on a train for 1 year), when the train would stop and you would get off, you would see that the rest of the world has aged 50 years.

That is my weird, stupid, and possibly true theory about light speed (and time travel).

Posted Jun 10, '10 at 11:18am

Graham

Graham

6,422 posts

Not really stupid, but if you travel the speed of light you're aging less fast than the world around you.

Like you're going to another planet and it takes you 5 days at the speed of light, to that planet it's 2 years.

Posted Jun 10, '10 at 11:23am

pHacon

pHacon

1,313 posts

Well, it doesn't work quite like that, my best understanding about the speed/time ratio is that it's simply an inverse proportion.

Ex., the faster you go, the more time seems to be slowed, and vice-versa.
Remember, people, time is a relative and near meaningless construct around which we base our perceptions of the world around us.

Posted Jun 10, '10 at 12:17pm

themantschkin

themantschkin

152 posts

relating to 1337Player if you would fire a gun in that train the bullet would be slowed down like you that means that you can watch the bullet flying beacause it has exactly the same speed as you
but this is impossible beacause time goes on without beeing streched or something like that its the same like firing a gun in a normal train the bullet the bullet will always fly with its own speed + the speed of the train
this time travel is like the theory of turnig back time like superman does by turning the world backwards

Posted Jun 10, '10 at 12:46pm

Kirby998

Kirby998

5,236 posts

Every time you move you slow down time around you, bending the fabric of space around you gives you the illusion of time travel. This 'time travel' is super insignificant because you are either going forward or backward (can't remember which) microseconds.

Posted Jun 10, '10 at 12:54pm

Maverick5762

Maverick5762

252 posts

Well this seems to be about time travel now.

I travel through time at a rate of 1 second per second, thanks.

I don't get these silly time travel ideas ...

I like the OP though, some interesting things to think about lol