ForumsThe TavernStupid theories about light speed

34 5315
themantschkin
themantschkin
151 posts
Nomad

This is the Place where you can put absolutly stupid theories about the Speed of light(or other ridiculous high speeds) .

- if you accelerate a fly to speed of light its kinetic energy is about 1056436100000 joule this means that i can splatter you body over a VERY large space if it collides with you (a .50 BMG round only has about 15000â"20000 Joule)

- if you run with light speed you would permanently see your own face/eyes beacause you run into the light your body is reflecting

i hope you have some wicked theorys too

• 34 Replies
Falcon4415
Falcon4415
130 posts
Shepherd

Note that as you get close to light's speed you no longer increase your speed as that energy becomes mass, as what happens with protons in the LHC.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

if you accelerate a fly to speed of light its kinetic energy is about 1056436100000 joule this means that i can splatter you body over a VERY large space if it collides with you (a .50 BMG round only has about 15000â�"20000 Joule)

well your body mass would = infinity because of that
KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

The speed of light is possible to achieve (and excel), (1) Tachyons are faster than light (2)To be able to escape from a black hole, theoretically, you would be traveling faster than the speed of light .
___
EnterOrion...you also cannot use magnetic fields to "accelerate" yourself faster than the speed of light considering the fact that gravity affects magnetic fields...
___
Back to what i said about black holes...In a black hole Einsteins Thory of General Relativity breaks apart and makes Einstein wrong...Einstein himself did not believe that black holes could ever exist and completely ignored the possibility.

But because Einsteins theory works in our general universe then he is correct...that is where you get into Quantum Mechanics...
_____

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

What about quantum leaps, are they considered fast? Or is it like warping from one place to another?

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

EnterOrion...you also cannot use magnetic fields to "accelerate" yourself faster than the speed of light considering the fact that gravity affects magnetic fields...

That's not what I said. What I said is that a magnetic field would prevent you from going nuclear and turning to pure energy, which is what happens when you reach the speed of light. Getting to light speed is another problem entirely.
IcyGryphon
IcyGryphon
160 posts
Nomad

If you obtain the speed of light you will die.
I think that sounds about right.

Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Real theory: When you start reaching the speed of light the time flow around you is getting slower. Otherwise, you would crash onto something...lol. This also happens with other speeds but with light speed it is recognizable.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

Real theory: When you start reaching the speed of light the time flow around you is getting slower. Otherwise, you would crash onto something...lol. This also happens with other speeds but with light speed it is recognizable.

Exactly. Since light doesn't have a brain (since it's energy) it can't control its movements, so it goes in a straight line until it bounces off a mirror or something. But if we were to move light speed we couldn't tell where we were going, that's why time would be slowed down. We could control our movements because we have a brain. Time would be so slow that people wouldn't even seem to be moving. And if we were in the slow time frame we would be technically aging faster or slower, depends.
KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Tachyons travel faster than the speed of light, they go so fast they don't even interact with real matter...

bloodwolf
bloodwolf
44 posts
Nomad

If you would somehow manage to get past lightspeed your mass would become greater, you would never go faster.

Nalak
Nalak
4 posts
Jester

I was thinking the other day, if you traveled at the speed of light, would you be producing light? I was thinking this since tardyons (us humans and anything traveling below the the speed of light) can easily convert to photons, which make light. What do you guys think?

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I was thinking the other day, if you traveled at the speed of light, would you be producing light? I was thinking this since tardyons (us humans and anything traveling below the the speed of light) can easily convert to photons, which make light. What do you guys think?

Could be, but the question is what are we talking about? Light speed (300,000 kilometers per second) or how light travels at that speed. You see. The first one leans more toward fantasy, and the second one is basically the understanding of physics.
KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

-I give to you
the tachyon amplifier.
Genius in a box.
-Only with this device,
you don't travel
forwards or backwards.
-You travel sideways in time
-to another dimension
where past, present
and future all meet.

^^^LoL^^^

Because a tachyon moves faster than the speed of light, we cannot see it approaching. After a tachyon has passed nearby, we would be able to see two images of it, appearing and departing in opposite directions

Kirby...i did not fully understand what the first part has to do with the second part at all. You're saying that the "friction" between universes causes Tachyons to travel faster than the speed of light?

One curious effect is that, unlike ordinary particles, the speed of a tachyon increases as its energy decreases.
That there disproves what you said in the second part.

When a tachyon reaches infinite speed ( 0 Energy ) it and its "significant-other" are destroyed simultaneously, this is so that no laws of conservation are violated.

Source:
Wikipedia
^^yeah deal with it, maybe you should read it before saying random crap.
M00CH
M00CH
101 posts
Nomad

My theory about light speed...
if u are running at light speed, somebody turned ur switch on.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

if u are running at light speed, somebody turned ur switch on.

That's nice... and off-topic

Tachyon... where have I heard that before? In a book! Yeah. That's too complicated for me.
Showing 16-30 of 34