ForumsArt, Music, and WritingMy first serious drawing.

123 39885
KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Background:
I drew this in 45minutes during math class which is why it is on graph paper. I'm not in any classes for drawing, or even an art class. Sure I doodle every so often but nothing seriously like this. I did not trace it, I DID draw it. It is a copy from the album Plastic Beach by the Gorillaz. It seems i'm only able to draw well, if i see it. I'm not able to draw off the top of my head, any tips on doing that?
http://i47.tinypic.com/2my2rt.jpg

• 123 Replies
JoZhur
JoZhur
44 posts
Nomad

you could've drawn some wind blowing at the swinub, or maybe some snow pummeling unto him.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

i apologize...it's a Piloswine, it was my entry for the Draw That Pokemon! Contest...

JoZhur
JoZhur
44 posts
Nomad

Oh and it doesn't really look like the snow is deep enough for him to live a trail like that behind him, at least IMO.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Well i wasn't exactly sure how to make it seem like it...i do realize that, i was wondering if anyone had any tips on wind/snow/rain affects. I would ask how to make the snow have depth, but I'm aware it doesn't so if you have any, idk, shading tips (again)...Shading only above ground things is easy(ish) but as with shading above ground objects and holes, i am completely lost...i literally looked at pictures of snow tracks and could not figure it out

JoZhur
JoZhur
44 posts
Nomad

how did I misspell Leave? lol.

you could try to round the trail to make it look deeper, and kinda IDK make a little tube(?) thing and draw the piloswine in to make it look deep....as for shading I really don't have any idea on how to give tips for that.

Tassel
Tassel
42 posts
Nomad

That's pretty Beastly man. I wish i could draw like that, i'm pretty good i just have a little more of a cartoon style.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Not Quite sure why i drew this?
http://i52.tinypic.com/qq1idt.jpg

King Lemon Signature (1)
I'm currently making this is Adobe Illustrator as well.
http://i56.tinypic.com/anhfd5.jpg

King Lemon Signature (2)
http://i53.tinypic.com/65be6q.jpg

halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

ha fruit force

nice play on words

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

My ASCII picture on my profile, is based off of that last drawing

And thank you, it took me all of..2 minutes to think of it, lol.

halogunner
halogunner
807 posts
Nomad

here's another one

king lemon

he's a fruit but if you said that to his face he would probably kill you

Demonator133
Demonator133
76 posts
Nomad

Dude thats amazing, one of the best I've seen on this site.

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

Now that i've posted this in the Pokemon Contest, i was hoping to get some critiques/tips on it:
I asked my teacher how i could draw water, (she ignored me), i tried looking online but was not exactly sure HOW to draw it, so if you have any tips on that can you please tell me?

Hmm that's my major concern at this moment, if you see something that's off, please let me know how you would do it!
Without furthur wait, i give you the Loch Ness Monster Revealed! (that was what i was going for at least haha)
http://i56.tinypic.com/213ksw4.jpg
Took me about around 2 hours maybe(?) to draw, this image doesnt really do it justice because the tree's in the back are individual strokes much like the tree's in the front.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

The real problem with this drawing is that the pokemon looks really nice while the background is horrendously bad.
You must either applicate yourself more in the backgrounds or just try to scale them down a little bit so you can really focus on some details.

I'm returning to school soon and I'm eager to participate again in the DTP contests! :3
School = Scanner

KingLemon
KingLemon
600 posts
Nomad

well i know the background is bad bc i wasnt sure how to draw the tree's that far away and then i had a large amount of white space, making it look like i just have a random line of tree's through the page, so i added in the hills before i scanned...but the foreground isnt that bad is it? I watch a show on public access where this guy was painting a winter scene, he used like a large fan brush to make the pine trees...i tried to do the same technique except with my tree's...
that extra shading that randomly stops was supposed to be grass but i got lazy so just left it how it was...
With the pokemon, i'll be honest i really did just google "Lapras" then drew it so it was facing the same was as the famous Loch Ness picture..

I'm returning to school soon and I'm eager to participate again in the DTP contests! :3
School = Scanner

That's good to hear, DTP(v2) need's more people to enter each theme, ha ha, only 3 submissions so far!
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Re: trees

The trees could look worse. There are plenty of tips around on how to draw trees depending on what kind of tree you're after. A lot of them afford a good deal of shortcuts and general principles. The biggest one I can think of is to conceptualise trees in terms of whether they're mostly branches or mostly foilage, which way do the branches go, then determine how you group the leaves so you can cluster pencil strokes going in the same direction accordingly. In your case those pine trees are generally okay but any sizeable pine tree mostly doesn't have leaves that are visible all the way from is origin to the tip, so you have to group your strokes accordingly. In fact, to see what I mean, here's a tutorial on drawing trees I found!

Re: background

The biggest thing to remember with backgrounds is that the further away you are from it, the more faded it becomes, which generally means the less contrast there is. During daylight this means the background is lighter, nearly the same value as the sky. Also, the less distinguishable details become, but this does NOT mean that you can just draw a few scribbles and smudge the lot, you'll still have to work on it for as long as you did the foreground, if not longer.

Re: water

Still water reflects, ripples distort reflections, and rough water breaks out in foam and white caps. Your picture looks like the water is generally still with the exception of the wake of Lap- I mean the "Loch Ness monster", so if you drew the reflections from the background (might need to complete it first), then showed how the reflection of the Loch Ness was distorted by its wake, that should work. Also note that water is not a perfect mirror, in physics you'll learn about critical angles, the point at which a refraction becomes a reflection, but really different reflecting substances reflect and refract on a spectrum depending on factors... cut a long ramble short the reflection in water is generally lighter than the real image.

Hope that all helps, if not, there are various books that cover this kinda stuff.

Showing 61-75 of 123