ForumsArt, Music, and WritingThe Cow Story

86 21066
cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

Over a year ago i wrote a story about cows and their journeys. I have gone back now and edited it, added small details not there before. Names have been changed. Now i present to you....

THE COW STORY

• 86 Replies
cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

A herd of cows were grazing in fields. A quiet stream ran through the fields. Grass grew tall and tasty. There was plentiful shade. They came into the barn at the farmerâs call. It was midday and too hot for cows to be outside. The barn was dim and cool. It had a heavy smell of hay. There was plenty room available for each cow. Light came in through broken windows that had so much dirt and grime on it you wouldnât know it was a window. Dust shone through the cracks of light. Birds chipped their songs. A calm wind blew. All was calm. The bull of the herd, named Ross, came over to the farmer. âDonât eat cows,â he said to the farmer.
âGo chew on your cud, we already went over this,â the farmer replied.
âHow would you feel is cows ate human?â asked Ross.
âI donât care,â the farmer said as he walked away.
Day went and night came. âOkay cows, weâre breaking out of this farm,â said Ross to the other cows.
Whispers rose around the barn. Some cows thought this was all a joke and went back to bed. The youth fidgeted with excitement. After a lengthy discussion with the elders, they broke down the barn door down, then the fences of the pasture.
âHuh, what was that?â murmured the farmer, âHey! The cows are escaping!â
âHe heard us!â yelled the cows.
âGet back here!â screamed the farmer. He got in his truck and tried to chase them down, but it was too late, the cows were gone into the forest. The cows traveled all that night and into the morning.
âWeâre free!â mooed the cows.
They rested the rest of that day including the night. Some cows explored the area, but most of the cows slept. It lightly sprinkled that night. The light rain refreshed the cows and calmed them down from the rush of escaping the farm.
âDumb cows,â said the farmer along with other vulgar language in his house. After cooking a rib eye, he turned on the news because word was going around about a massive storm coming in the area.
âBreaking News: Twenty cow caresses were found in the woods. Experts say that they were eaten by bobcats,â a reporter said.

âWe should have stayed at the farm. Now twenty of us have been eaten by bobcats!â said Bessy.
âYouâre right.â said Ross,â Does anyone remember how we got here?â
âWait, letâs use our natural instincts.â said Joe.
âDonât you remember? Weâre domestic animals; we donât have any natural instincts. We have some, but not like wild cows do,â said Ross.
âRightâ¦.â
âLetâs try and get some food,â said Jim.

A day later: âBreaking News: Seven cows were found dead in the woods. Experts say they have eaten poisonous mushrooms and other deadly plants.â stated a reporter on the news.

âThen letâs eat what the natives eatâ said some cows.
âWe canât eat what they eat. Theyâve adapted to different types of foods that we canât eat like bark.â replied Ross. âDoes anyone have any cud left? I thought notâ¦â
âWe need to get back to the farm or else weâll all die,â said Bessy, âWe donât know how to survive out here.â
âYeah, Twenty-seven of us are dead,â said Jim.
âQuiet! Do you not think Iâm trying to lead us back to the farm?â asked Ross.
The cows were deep in the wood where rarely on any humans touched. Only the most extreme backcountry campers would even get close. The group of twenty-three remaining cows were walking when⦠crack! A dead tree just broke at the base and fell.
âRun!â Ross exclaimed.
All the cows scattered but two unlucky cows got caught by the falling tree. The treeâs weight crushed them and they never got up again.
âWhy do we have such bad luck?â asked Ross, âI mean, how in the world does a tree fall on us?â
âCows arenât meant to live in the wild,â said Joe, âToo many have died already.â
Moral was low. Cows walked slowly, full of exhaustion and hunger. They followed random deer trails for hours.
âItâs the highway!â Bessy yelled, âWe can follow it back to the farm!â
âCome on cows, you heard her, letâs go!â Ross said excitedly.
âWe canât read human writing.â said Joe.
âWhich way do we go?â asked Jim
âWe guess.â Solemnly replied Ross

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I can't read it with all those little blots covering half the text.

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

There's alot of talking, maybe I change the font, the markings with go away and quotation marks will reappear.

"hi"

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

Im going to try and see if i can get rid of the markings by changing the font. Im going to repost the last three lines and see if it works.

âWe canât read human writing.â said Joe.
âWhich way do we go?â asked Jim
âWe guess.â Solemnly replied Ross

ColdSword
ColdSword
121 posts
Nomad

well i read it fine because i have the font. If you dont see it all you have to do is pretty much add "n" for the first [] and "d" for the second [] it sometimes works but you get the main meaning of it

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

Write it in notepad.

AG doesn't recognize quotations or apostrophes from MS Word.

ColdSword
ColdSword
121 posts
Nomad

no i learned this today drag the file of your story into notepad and it auto writes everything as a .txt and using a default text

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

It does? You mind giving step by step because it isn't working.

ColdSword
ColdSword
121 posts
Nomad

ok wherever your file is saved lets say [] is your file..
1 open a notepad
2 find your file
3 >> [] u click and hold and drag the file
4 into the open note pad and jsut let go
5 it should have all the text in your file onto your open notepad

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

poor cows really have bad luck.

ColdSword
ColdSword
121 posts
Nomad

they do have bad luck maybe they should run away and eat hay from now on

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

Use asterisks or something

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

Stay tuned until next time or tomorrow, which you like! And attempt number 2 of not having strange symbols and chapeter 2 all at once! I should make you pay extra for this! But alas, i shallnt, in fact, ill make it free!

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,523 posts
Farmer

Hurray! Goood cause I'm broke and couldn't normally afford this level of pseudo-modern struggle!

cowmaster1
cowmaster1
676 posts
Shepherd

After some cow reasoning, the cows decided that right is always right. The highway was cut right through a forest. Visibility was low because of the winding road with dense trees on the sides. The cows traveled for two days and two nights. On the horizon a dim outline a city rose. Disappointment filled the air and the cows were on the verge of giving up. To make things worse, one cow was having problems standing, along with sudden excitement from nothing. After several attempts to help him walk, one cow remembered hearing of some of the symptoms of mad cow disease and the party had to leave her because she had the symptoms. Later on the return the other way a drunk driver flew off the road and struck and killed two more cows. The cows staggered along, tired and hungry. Four cows died of starvation. Three days later the cows started to make out the image of their old home.
âWeâre almost there!â someone yelled
âHurray!â they cried happily.
They arrived meeting the farmer. He said, âHey! Itâs my cows! But wait; there are only thirteen cows here!â
âI need to get better gates,â thought the farmer.
The cows rested and got used to civilized life again. Life seemed go back to normal. The only difference was the farmer that brought stronger fences. Many cows had nightmares about the events in the wild, especially the encounter with the bobcats. It was a fine morning; light dew filled the farm. All was normal, the cows had recovered finally. The only strange thing about the day was that Ross was missing. The cows went out to the pasture to search for him and after an hour a looking, they went back to the barn. Half an hour later Ross appeared.
âWhere were you Ross?â asked Jim.
âI was talking to the farmer and the thirteen of us are being sold!â Ross yelled.

Showing 1-15 of 86