Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Lore and Other Things

Thread Locked

Posted Aug 25, '10 at 12:59am

Gantic

Gantic

7,409 posts

My angle was that if one records the fruits of boredom, others may too reap the rewards and, through your boredom, rise from there own.

Ah. I almost always use "one" in reference to self, but that is the gist of it.

Odd thing is, beyond yourself, I'm not sure who else is actually reading this, though it seems to jump by a hundred views per installment at approximately one installment per week.

I think some descriptions are a bit threadbare. Makes me miss Three and a Half Elves. That was fun.

I can see that, and it nags me when I post. I'm trying to distill a blend of ROaTNO, WN, and my longer unread works into a concise, poignant, and vibrant shorts approaching vignettes. I can feel it lacking but on the other hand I don't want to weigh it down. Yet, it's supposed to get description heavy towards the middle of Lore. Right now, it's already heavy with references (aka diverting detail through preconceptions) and obscure ideas.

Bring back Three and a Half Elves!

As for the newest segment, I was rather fond of it. I think Lore is developing a bit more smoothly than ROaTNO.

Awesome. That was what I was intending. Much better than "a rogue jumps in, whacks you on the head, and drags you to the next part of the story", except I'm still doing that.

Posted Aug 26, '10 at 11:19am

Cookiez

Cookiez

5 posts

hmm XD

Posted Aug 27, '10 at 1:55am

Gantic

Gantic

7,409 posts

Dangit, Xzeno. You don't use smiley faces. *waits for armatar to change*

In the meantime, a character collage. Yes, a character collage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/Lore/CharacterCollage.gif

Posted Aug 27, '10 at 2:20am

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

Dangit, Xzeno. You don't use smiley faces. *waits for armatar to change*

When I saw his post, I was really confused. I was like: "Huh? I don't remember that... I must have been really tired when I posted...".

The signature makes me wonder briefly if that name is really all that set apart from the others. Perhaps it is more than a signature.

Also, I can't read cursive too well...

Bring back Three and a Half Elves!

This September.

Posted Aug 27, '10 at 11:12pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,409 posts

The signature makes me wonder briefly if that name is really all that set apart from the others. Perhaps it is more than a signature.

Way to state the ambiguous.

Also, I can't read cursive too well...

You mean, you can't read bad handwriting well. I didn't realize how unreadable some of these names are. The signature is near perfect, which is odd, because that's not even my legal name.

From left to right, top to bottom as of Aug 27:

Crowman
White Rabbit
Ibilis
Marabou
The Bullman
Lena
Charles Taberdag
Lagless
Kinsiung
Stallion Man
Lindra
Union Gander
Caelum Hen
Rainheart
Alfred T. Kineson
Space Cowboy
Condor
Awesome

Heroes and Legends

Had Stallion Man been born a tiger, the Bullman's quest would already be over. Had Stallion Man been born a tiger, the Bullman's quest would have never started. The only tigerkin he knew was Bakfu and with what happened last time, he doubt that he would ever retrieve a kanabo. Perhaps, the only one the Bullman ever feared was Bakfu... and Bakpu who chronicled his magnificent journeys... and his own mother.

A tiger was as strong as a bull if not stronger and where a bull had horns, a tiger had claws, more of them and sharper, and teeth to match. The chimeras beyond the Demon Gate were more abominable than the two combined. The Bullman would never survive beyond the Gate alone but he would also never want to concede and join Bakfu when there was nothing in it for him. Yet, he must if he was ever to deliver the bones of Kinsiung to the Obsidian. Without a doubt, he was certain that the other bones had been or will have been delivered to the Quartz, the Turquoise, the Lapis, the Malachite, the Nephrite, and the Pearl before he had retrieved a kanabo.

Failure was dishonor. Dishonor was disgrace. Disgrace was soul death. Soul death was the death of a hero and only legends were ever reborn to fullness. Duty, Direction, and Fortune were the three strands of Destiny. Every being lived by at least any one strand at any time. Heroes lived by two. Legends lived by three. Those of Duty lived routine lives. Those of Direction lived unfulfilled dreams. Those of Fortune lived for themselves. Direction and Fortune was borne of greatness. Duty and Direction achieved greatness. Duty and Fortune had greatness thrust upon it. Duty, Direction, and Fortune were together mercurial. Anyone who lived by all three led a tumultuous life that shaped Destiny as Destiny shaped it.

Posted Sep 3, '10 at 1:57am

Gantic

Gantic

7,409 posts

Apercu

Click. Tock. Tick. Clock. The luminescent hands of Chronos march across the dial, a scythe in one hand. Know men stand amongst his hands. No men rejoyce, dance at lack and lack, but at the end, again we wake as we are borne to sleep between Nut and Geb. The air is thick with strife and the hours gone. Irene, long forgotten by my tongue, lingers in my mind, not a shadow, not an imprint, not an essence, but a fancy, a whim, an aether. Men tell stories about the void, about the fluid that fills the abyss and often with the taint of Ananke. From Chaos, from one, came two and from two came three, from three came everything. It happened because it was meant to happen. It was meant to happen because it happened. Do I know her name? Does she know mine? It is inevitable. Tiny Tim will live, but what do we Learn?

Posted Sep 10, '10 at 9:37pm

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

Heroes and Legends was nice. The information about the setting revealed is certainly enough to pique my curiosity. The last paragraph was also the sort of thing I can really get into. Not overly romantic, but poetic. It also seemed to me to be a nice transition into the next bit.

The last sentence of Apercu was excellent: The unmistakable allusion was perfect* for wrapping it up.

Irene, long forgotten by my tongue, lingers in my mind,

This phrase is especially worthy of note. Not entirely sure why.

Posted Sep 11, '10 at 8:36pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,409 posts

The last sentence of Apercu was excellent: The unmistakable allusion was perfect* for wrapping it up.

I hate it when people do that! Why do you have a lingering asterisk when there is no footnote! Where is the footnote! Do people know I waste many minutes trying to find footnotes when there aren't actually any footnotes!

This phrase is especially worthy of note. Not entirely sure why.

Well-twined assonance and alliteration in iambic? One of my favorite poetic devices. I didn't realize it until you pointed that phrase out. Subtle, yet poignant. Unless you mean metaphorically, then I wouldn't know exactly.

Posted Sep 11, '10 at 8:42pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,198 posts

In the meantime, a character collage. Yes, a character collage.

When did you do this? Character collages are interesting.... *twiddles thumbs*

Posted Sep 11, '10 at 9:06pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,409 posts

When did you do this? Character collages are interesting.... *twiddles thumbs*

What? Did you just get punned?