Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Lore and Other Things

Thread Locked

Posted Sep 11, '10 at 9:09pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,155 posts

I got punned? I swear I didn't notice! I just wanna know when you did it...

Posted Sep 11, '10 at 9:31pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,209 posts

Did what? I post the same day I finalize anything plus an hour or six. It's a collage of characters that form characters' names and colored according to character/characteristics.

Posted Sep 12, '10 at 12:29am

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

Why do you have a lingering asterisk when there is no footnote!

Same reason you used an exclamation point instead of an interrobang.

George Orwell probably said that good writers say what they want to say in as few words as possible. The hanging asterisks tells you that the word perfect was qualified in some way. No further information was necessary; you can extrapolate what qualifying statements might be associated with an assertion of perfection.

Okay, so I forgot about the footnote while writing my post :$.

Unless you mean metaphorically, then I wouldn't know exactly.

I meant how it sounded. Definitely the well-twinned assonance and alliteration in iambic.

Posted Sep 23, '10 at 11:46pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,209 posts

Same reason you used an exclamation point instead of an interrobang.

You mean quesclamation mark!

Not happy with this one, but it's been too long since the last installment.

Draft Animals Freedom Trust

The air rattled with the rhythm of hooves and wheels. Standing by the side of the road, the Bull and the Stallion turned their heads as the crashing of hoof and wheel on compacted dirt slowed to a trot. A pangolin waved at them from his seat at the front of the oxcart.

"Yo! You two!" the pangolin called. "You're headed the same way as us, right?" The pangolin vaguely waved back towards the caravan.
"Yea..." the Bullman replied.
"Cool. Would you like to join me and my crew until we get to the next town? You two look like hardy adventurers and we could use the company."
Stallion Man leaned slightly toward the Bullman and remarked, "At all offended by the oxen used to pull the carts?"
"What? Why?" the Bullman asked. "Are you offended by eunuchs?"
"Not bullocks, twit, draft animals."
"Well, excuse me if I don't agree with the ideals of Draft Animals Freedom Trust because they're DAFT!"
"Ha ha. Can ride if you want, but I am walking," Stallion Man replied. "Second thought, you're more likely to get into trouble on your own."

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 11:08pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,209 posts

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/blackcairn/Lore/nothappy.gif

Kind of obvious where I got lazy. lol. He's not even standing straight...

Posted Dec 27, '10 at 7:52pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,209 posts

Worst installment yet:

Silence of the Lam

Silence was a dread to the lonely soul and to the wary ears. The lonely desired the company of the like-minded. The wary desired the calm in the cacophony of the birds and the rodents in the trees and the grass. Yet, it went unnoticed as it enveloped the Bullman's heroic narratives and Stallion Man's redactions, not from the lack of laughter but from the lack of chatter more preoccupied with survival.

The singing of arrows pierced the fabric of the tale and bandits rushed from the foliage to block the caravan from advancing or retreating. With a heroic stance and a heroic boom, the Bullman demanded that they disperse or enter into a world of pain. Of course, as is requisite of any legitimate band of bandits, they did not stand down and attacked. As a result of the struggle, which the Bullman will tell you he won and the Stallion Man will tell you he didn't, the bandits had dispersed in defeat and the Bullman was unconscious. Stallion Man will tell you that the Bullman had been knocked unconscious when he tripped while chasing a bandit, but the Bullman will tell you he had not, and he would be right because he had been poisoned.

Posted Dec 28, '10 at 11:16pm

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

Worst installment yet:

Well... yes. I mean, it's not BAD. It just... your prose didn't seem to have that mystical quality they normally convey. It seemed all right, it just didn't seem like more than it seemed.

they did not stand down and attacked

I found this clause most jarring. The progression of words and the progression of meaning didn't seem to quite match up. "and attacked" particularly threw me a bit.

Hey, that reminds me:

Unless you mean metaphorically, then I wouldn't know exactly.

I've been thinking about this a lot. The short of it is thus: Is a literary device a means to its own end? Is the flow of the words all we're after? Alliteration's great, but what do we Learn?

You have your story, your literary elements, and your meaning. If you write by any one of them, I'll call you a writer. Write by two, I'll call you an artist. Write by three, I'll call you a legend.

...and now I have to update Three and a Half Elves.

Posted Dec 29, '10 at 6:09pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,209 posts

I found this clause most jarring. The progression of words and the progression of meaning didn't seem to quite match up. "and attacked" particularly threw me a bit.

Because it's missing the word "instead".

I've been thinking about this a lot. The short of it is thus: Is a literary device a means to its own end? Is the flow of the words all we're after? Alliteration's great, but what do we Learn?

God lives in a machine. /nonsequitur

Posted Jan 20, '11 at 10:59pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,209 posts

Sometimes I think the real etymology of flippant is actually from flip and pant, because when your parents tell you to behave you respectfully disrespect them by flipping your pants inside out and wear them that way the whole day.

Calico Cats

"Calico cats eat fanciful snacks 'twixt a barrister's banister's bal-usters! Tortoiseshell tots kick magical rocks through a promenade's palisade's pas-quinades! Zoggity-zoo a-zoogity-zag a-zoggity zoogity zoo-gity..."

Bewilderment was an understatement describing the expression that crowded Bullman's face as he woke to the nonsensical lyrics and playful tune. He was further perplexed by the rolling hills of white daisies and rabbits that spread to a perfectly flat horizon. If he were any more befuddled, he feared his face would have been permanently stuck in a contortion between angry and surprised. The Checkered Giant wearing the top hat and monocle did not help his face.

"Where am I?" was the only logical question that the Bullman could ask.
And the only logical answer was
"America!" the rabbit shouted.
"What?"
The Checkered Giant wondered if the Bullman was deaf. "A Miracle! You are inside A Miracle! All these daisy and hills. This place is a miracle! That's why it's called A Miracle!"
The Bullman had no time to respond before the rabbit continued talking. "How do you like my hat and glass? Made 'em myself. They're very botancork."

Perhaps, he, the Bullman, had always been born with such a face. Perhaps, he had had such a face even before his parents were born. Perhaps, this was just a dream.

"This must be a dream," the Bullman exclaimed, half hoping the revelation would wake him from his slumber.
"No, this is very real, at least to you," the rabbit corrected. "Your mind has tripped and you fell here."
A dream!
"Then who're you?" asked the Bullman.
"I am only the Dream Rabbit. I am only you," the rabbit replied. "I am only the Keeper of Kasam."

Posted Jan 21, '11 at 8:20pm

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

Dude, this pic is lame

LOL I love it. He's even actually fuzzy.