ForumsWEPRCould a Nuclear Holocaust really Happen?

20 13027
Dragonz5
Dragonz5
96 posts
Nomad

We all talk about how we would or wouldn't survive an nuclear war. There's even games like fallout about the aftermath. But COULD IT REALLY HAPPEN? Our only precedence is the Cold War. People were buying fallout shelters, the opposing countries were building up nucleuar arsenals, conventional wars we going on, but not a single nuke was actually dropped. Apparantly humans are smart enough not to actually start nuking each other. Or are we?

• 20 Replies
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Anything involving anything that already exists is possible. Aviation is possible. Birds do it. If we can make nuclear weapons, a nuclear holocaust is possible. Is it likely? No. The Cold War wasn't a war, it was an arms race of nuclear fallout. We wouldn't survive a nuclear war if the world still maintained the amount of nuclear weapons that it had in 1960-1980. We could survive with the amount now, but before, no.

FinnDragon
FinnDragon
993 posts
Blacksmith

Nuclear war is possible.And most of humans die in that, but I think that there were some survivours too.I think that humans are so stupid that is some cause, nuclear war (or something even powerful weapons)wipe out human race.Becouse why we havnet get any information about aliens?Maybe becouse they have already destoied themselves!

Anonym0us
Anonym0us
81 posts
Nomad

no, because the nations signed a nuclear treaty. to prevent it from ever happening

DL210
DL210
7 posts
Nomad

I believe it could if a nation with them is pushed far enough. I also think that allowing Iran and North Korea to have nuclear weapons increases the chances.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

no, because the nations signed a nuclear treaty. to prevent it from ever happening

Do you know anything?
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

yes if war can happen so can this a treaty means nothing all it takes is one person to press a button

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

all it takes is one person to press a button

Actually there are numerous fail safes and redundancies to ensure that it does in fact take much more than one person to push a button. There are also other security measures in place in our missile silos to ensure that even in case of an unapproved launch that the warhead will never reach orbit and be able to strike it's target.

The primary concern that we have with nuclear war is terrorist organizations acquiring nuclear weapons, however even in that scenario every nuclear nation is aware of the possibility and would not retaliate with nuclear strikes of their own, especially as there would be no clear cut nation or target to attack with nuclear weapons.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Treaty? Not all the nations signed the treaties. Countries have nuclear weapons. None of them will attack, but if attacked and forced to do so, they might. Terrorists are retards. Think of the poachers and ivory. They don't plan in the future. Terrorists do the same. They don't plan in the future.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

As Kevin already pointed out, not all nations signed a treaty. In addition to that, a treaty is nothing but a piece of paper it wouldn't break it. Sure there would be consequences, but I don't think the country in question would really care.

Now about the OP, while it is possible, it's highly unlikely that it would ever happen.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

~Albert Einstein

With the weapons the exist and are being developed in the world, those words have an ominous feel about them.
chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

Can I only say it couldn't? No Could I say it will? No I can't
I can see it happening though because there is humanity has one massive flaw that could lead to it. And that flaw is that as a society there are times when we just don't think about what were doing. All it would take is one person to start a chain reaction. One person could start a chain reaction that could start a war and with how easily everyone is blinded by rage that war could be the end us all....

snipershot325
snipershot325
844 posts
Nomad

Do you watch too much of family guy? Anyways No I dont think so,unless people are stupid enough to nuke the world themselves(suicide)

ColdSword
ColdSword
121 posts
Nomad

it would most likely never ever happen America and germany and other eastern countryss taht have nuke power Have made a contract to never nuke each toher For they both know it will end in the world obliverated Also It would only happen to A. terrorists to anyone B. Someone that is crazy and sends nukes C. fairies activate all nukes

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

America and germany and other eastern countryss taht have nuke power Have made a contract to never nuke each toher For they both know it will end in the world obliverated

yes, but those are all just said words and writing them on paper. other than that, what is really stopping them?
Sassin
Sassin
170 posts
Nomad

its completely possible it only takes one person or terrorist group to start a chain reaction. Now the likely hood of it happening is small but its still there so it could happen.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Is it possible? Yes. Very.

The irony in this whole situation is that to deter people from attacking is the threat of a nuclear retaliation

Showing 1-15 of 20