ForumsSupport ForumChatroom Mods

22 5211
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I was pretty sure that I had seen this topic before, but I didn' find anything when I looked for it. Anyway, I think that it would be a good idea to appoint mods to the chatrooms. I have been noticing large amounts of spam, inappropriate, and disrespectful posts in the chatrooms. It is my opinion that having mods with the power to kick, mute, and ban people from the chatrooms would help to alleviate some of these problems. The question is, should the community mods moderate the chatrooms as well, or should regular users be appointed? I think that the community mods should become "chatroom admins," with the power to appoint other members to "chatroom mod" status.

• 22 Replies
XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

I think this would be great! It could take alot of pressure off the mods, so they can do other important things.

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

True, it would be another charge off our heavy load...
Still, you can already warn an user or simply block him... But still it's a great idea.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Honestly, I think the problem could be fixed easy without mods. You could be booted once for spamming (like posting several times in a row rather quickly) and for lewd comments and for cursing excessively. Then the second offense would ban you for the day.

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

I think there should be a little button next to each person's name in the chatroom; if so many people (like three or five) click that button, you are booted from that chatroom for an hour or so. That would probably take care of the more annoying people.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I know, this is what I am suggesing. By no means am I saying "recruit more mods." I'm saying that the mods should become chatroom admins with the power to recruit chatroom mods. The admins (community moderators) would be able to ban users from the chat and appoint chat mods. The mods would have the power to kick users from the chat, and maybe mute them. Also, we could have:

A. A handful of mods with the power to moderate any chatroom.

B. One or more mods per chatroom, each with the power to moderate their chatroom (and no others)

C. A handful of mods with the power to moderate any chatroom that they have unlocked.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Homegrove, it's an interesting idea, but users could gang up on other users that have done nothing wrong. For example, when I was in the chat yesterday getting screenshots of spamming and inapprpriate behavior, I had about four or five people that hated my guts. they could have ganged up on me and booted me from the chat if your system was in place. Also, Asherlee, mistakes can happen in a system like that. I also think that the presence of a moderator, somebody that is acctually there, would help to reduce spam and inappropriate material. If people know that they are being watched by somebody with the power to boot them, they will be less likely to misbehave.

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

Hmm, you are right there uber, maybe only people with a higher amount of AP would have the ability to click that little button to boot people, since most people with over 2000 or so points are not spam-freaks.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

That just discriminates against members with lower points. And also, there are plenty of members with large amounts of points that spam. jackice does, crazynaitor used to, kingofgames or greatgamer or whatever his name is does. I still like my idea because it gives the moderators, who have good knowledge of most people on the site, the ability to pick mods. This will reduce the amount of work that they have to do, as opposed to reviewing button clicks or moderating the chats themselves, and would also eliminate the possibility of spammers and other chatroom/site rule offenders getting the power to boot others from the chat.

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

I agree with ubertuna there. the worse spammers are those that actually achieved a high rank because of their spamming. I won't give names... Each will recognise himself.
Personnaly, I think the best solution would be to improve the "warn" system. each tie a user is warned by somebody else, a message would be sent to all mods, with the records of all the posts of this user. Then we would decide to ban him or not, according to his posts. This would make it way easier for us, and way quicker. I also think that an user shouldn't be banned definitively for the chatroom the first time, but only for a short period (one week or so...).

Or you might consider simply ignoring these kind of posts... With patience, all problems would be solved, even if I agree that they can get really annoying at some times, een for a calm person like me

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Yes, the warn system should be upgraded as well. As of now, what does warning a member do? Does it act like a flag? Also, has anybody heard from Dan what he thinks about this?

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

I suppose you are right, a few of those high ranked people got there by spamming. I was mainly referring to those spammers, who in the chatroom just type out random emoticons or just something like "a" ten times in a row; I have encountered many people like that, and it is annoying.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Like this?
http://www.flak-games.com/agul/soda.tiff

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

^What is that supposed to be?
@homegove, I hear you on that one! These mods could really help out, and the enhanced warn button is also a good method.

opentotruth
opentotruth
473 posts
Peasant

i think it wouldnt hurt to make like 3 or 4 chat room mods. that would be enough to help out and it wouldnt overload anything. i myself would be glad to help

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

I think it's a great idea but sorry if anyone made this idea but hwat if there was a button in the chatroom and if someone click's on that user's name and if it get's clicked on more than 10 times the user is banned from the chatroom!

Showing 1-15 of 22