270 posts
Nomad

title^^^^^^^^

• 36 Replies
gwoodruler
gwoodruler
106 posts
Nomad

pretty much. It is piracy, which is illegal.

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

dang, so lots of people use it but its illegal. You'd think it would be taken off the internet so no one could use it.

kingy310
kingy310
89 posts
Nomad

-= holds hands up =- wasn't me!!! ok ok....you caught me green handed if i knew it was iligal i wouldn't use it as often i get music of there loads i know dont use it as much but still why pay £10 odd when you can get it for free??

Cheef
Cheef
188 posts
Nomad

I wish it wasn't, but i think it is.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

Well i myself do not use limewire, but what i have heard about it is that there was some lawsuit against Limewire and the Limewire company won, so it must be legal in some way, and also i have heard that although you can download the song to the computer for free, you still cannot upload it onto an ipod or mp3 player without paying...

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Well I never really understood Limewire. I know that it's illegal to just basically steal music for free, which is what Limewire lets you do, but the part that I don't get is why do they even let you download it if it's illegal?

kingy310
kingy310
89 posts
Nomad

steevo that's not true i have been able to get them for free for like 2 years and i haven't seen any bill's for the music that i downloaded

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

That is a question I do not know an answer for. I do know that it is illegal to sell free music without consulting the band/group. There is some sort of musicians protection law or something.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Okay, I'm not savvy on laws. LimeWire, is a software, which is completely legal. It's what's done on Limewire that isn't legal: downloading and sharing copyright material.

LimeWire's defense is that its software is a tool. Like any other tool, its use is dependent on the users. The same hammer that helps build a house can be used to break the back window and rob it. The person who sells the hammer can't be held responsible for how it's used.

In the lawsuit LimeWire was found not guilty, its users are still vulnerable, though. Since September 2003, RIAA has initiated lawsuits against more than 20,000 individuals for alleged illegal file-sharing. The accused individuals receive a letter from the RIAA's lawyers with a settlement offer to avoid going to court. The individuals are identified by their IP addresses. If the individual refuses to pay the settlement -- typically between $3,000 and $11,000 -- the RIAA threatens to sue them by name for a larger amount [source: Wiki].

So, a better question would be: Is Limewire even safe?

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

What!? They identify you by your IP address! Wow, I never knew that and a lot of people are in trouble because if they get caught that's a lot of money to pay, haha.

turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

yea i love limewire it awesome

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I know a girl it happened to. She had to pay 5,000. It is not a joke.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Turret, did you even read the title?

kingy310
kingy310
89 posts
Nomad

i guess taht is a good question little children could easly get acses and find alsorts on there and then find there computer has virus that can't be removed and where woul we be with out wikipidia

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Haha, what a dummie. Also, I have used Limewire before, and now I'm freaking out! I hope I would never ever get caught!

Showing 1-15 of 36