ForumsForum Games[GUIDE] How to play in an RPG in this forum

104 102331
obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

There are a few topics that need to be addressed that I have noticed around the Forum Games RPG's. This will be broken into two major parts both in different threads because they will be fairly long, one for the players, and one for the creators, so that everyone knows what to do.

PART 1: THE BASICS

a) When a Creator of an RPG lets you create your own character in an RPG using a system and a character sheet, make sure that you understand the system. Too many times, if the creator says "12 points for your character" players will try to sneak in a 13th point. So rule a boils down to: DONT CHEAT and UNDERSTAND what they are saying.

b) When deciding what your character should do, you are generally given a few options, or you are given the freedom to do what you want to do.

EX --> CREATOR: You are in the ocean, looking around you see a school of fish, some kelp, and a cliffside.

PLAYER 1: I attack the school of fish and attempt to eat them.

In this case, that would be A CORRECT response. This is and incorrect response:

PLAYER 1: I attack the school of fish and eat them all.

The only difference is that the first response used ATTEMPT and the second didn't. The second person was telling the creator the outcome of what he did, which is wrong. The players choose their actions, not their action's outcomes. That is what the Creator is for! If you want to choose outcomes, CREATE, dont PLAY!

PART 2: ETIQUITE

a) Etiquite is very important on RPG's. Capitalization, mainly, is something that I don't see too often and it makes your post more broken up and hard to read. This is what I generally see:

EX --> PLAYER 1: ummm... i go to the store

The player did not capitalize the letter U in 'ummmm' or I. Which post looks better, above or below?

PLAYER 1: Ummm... I go to the store.

In this post, the player not only used correct capitalization techniques, but punctuated his sentences, bringing me to the next part.

b) Punctualization is necessary, and not only to look pretty and neat, but to show what you are talking about! If you are arguing a point, when you are talking, use a period, when you are making a big point, use an exclamation mark! It helps involve both the other players and the creator.

EX --> PLAYER 1: can i go to the store

Wow, doesn't that make you think that your players are really into your RPG? No. It doesn't. Creators like it when you look like you are enjoying their RP, so capitalize and punctuate.

PLAYER 1: Can I go to the store? Or would that be a problem?

Doesn't that look a bit more classy? A bit better than before? That's what most creators like in their players.

c) Spelling is also very important! I dont know how many times I see 'what are u doin'... It is faster to type that way, but it does not show that you are into the game at all. Yes, occasionally you will miss a key, but hey, it happens. What I dont like is when it happens ALL THE TIME! I will admit, I probably have a few errors on this page, and on my other RPG's, but it happens! People make mistakes, and creators will understand that.

PART 3: USING YOUR CHARACTER

Most RPGs call for you to create a character. When you post using your character, you generally have to copy and paste your character sheet (see an RPG) and then post your actions. Always stay in the lines of the adventure that you are playing. If you are playing a realistic WW2 adventure, dont say that you hire a dinosaur to destroy the world. That may be in a dinosaur adventure, and even that is stretching it.

PART 4: CHOOSING YOUR RPG

When you want to roleplay, make sure that you choose one that you will enjoy. If you like random, sparatic adventures, don't play any realistic ones, and that works viseversa. If you start an RPG, and dont enjoy it anymore, quit it.

PART 5: QUITTING AN RPG

When you quit an RPG, don't quit in the middle of something important. Try to wait for a calm, explanation time when you quit, this way you don't disrupt the storyline and kill the adventure for the rest of the community. Always tell the creator that you are quitting when you quit, so that he/she can plan for it.

That concludes my tutorial on PLAYING an RPG, if anyone has anything to add, please post it below. I understand that within itself, this is not a Forum Game, but it will improve the forum if people abide by these simple rules.
Thank you for reading,

--> OBOULD <--

• 104 Replies
locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

wow this is pretty useful

wheres the sticky?

sonicheroes95
sonicheroes95
13,701 posts
Peasant

nice guide for players. also renjineon, don't spam please...

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

^ spam...

as an amateur rpg creator, i don't see anything wrong with punctuation. it's the internet, obould, can't expect much from it :P. i don't even do it myself, especially when ranting. but other than that i'd give it a 4/5.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

u and your ninja skillz sonic =P

sonicheroes95
sonicheroes95
13,701 posts
Peasant

i had some training from strop lol.

and i give it a 5/5 as for how well the guide was wrote..

obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

I alway's found improper etiquite to be kind of annoying and I tend to like the people who do follow the correct etiquite more than those who don't. That doesn't mean that I dont like those who don't, but those who do catch my eye.

obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

So how many people want this to be stickied with the Creation one?

Kylelolcat
Kylelolcat
4,813 posts
Nomad

I'll vote for sticky. More people need to know this.

TheAKGuy
TheAKGuy
995 posts
Nomad

I am a game creator and player, and one thing too is creativity.

Like this.

I go to the store.

Make it better, like:

On a sonny day, I walk to the store and see a lolcat poster.

I loves mes some creativity.

obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

I also enjoy creativty, the player doesn't decide if it's sunny out, does he/she?

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

as an amateur rpg creator, i don't see anything wrong with punctuation. it's the internet, obould, can't expect much from it :P. i don't even do it myself, especially when ranting. but other than that i'd give it a 4/5.

Punctuation and extensive vocabulary can help elaborate intentions with more effective influences on the precise meaning. Correct spelling, whilst not always big (as are the 3 most well known words to the majority of the human population, "Please," and "Thank you.&quot in effort, it has an immeasurable effect in both effort to read and understand.
Also, while freedom is obviously permitted in the Internet, it wouldn't harm anyone for this miniscule, extra effort and it can give everyone a better experiance from it, and even help branch off further Roleplaying Games on the forums, with the same people, no wonder I see forums on the "Community" button!

Creativity is the name of the game obould
By the way, what if the person running it has the first letter of his name in lower case letters and the rest is capital, do you just do it normal or actually put in the effort of ReXoZoRrOn FoR nO rEaL rEaSoN?... :P

- H
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Sorry there is no edit button on Armor Games
Please allow me to rephrase my last paragraph (as I was about to, but lost track xD ):

Creativity is the name of the game obould
By the way, what if the person running it has the first letter of his name in lower case letters and the rest is capital, do you just do it normal or actually put in the effort of ReXoZoRrOn FoR nO rEaL rEaSoN?... :P
Actually there would be a reason - paying enough attention to actually copy it properly probably shows the creator that you actually care, usually people just type the whole name in lower case, just showing you want his / her attention and not actually recognising the trouble he may go through (such as obould, the link I shown you about the Roleplaying game, he'd had alot of fun with the people and they were actually very helpful, not making a completely stupid "Hire the Golden Army from Hellboy 2, all the X-Men, and... ... ...etc." they would put forth helpful (or not) suggestions and he found a way to include all of them.
All.)

Oh that reminds me
It's good to use more (I don't want to quote but...) extensive vocabulary this is easy to understand, but also shows more of what you want, I already stated that, but instead of:
"I'll try and run and hide in the forest, to stop the ninjas."
It could be:
"I'll attempt to escape, climbing up a tree with branches blocking sight to the assassins."
Sorry to steal your thread a little, obould, but you didn't explain it in an example, I figured I'll show one.

What about faces and symbols made using letters and punctual signs? Thanks again obould, and sorry for the bother. GREAT thread, 5/5

- H

obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

Ahh, It's no trouble at all Highfire. I'm glad you found something that I missed, actually! This is not just a thread for me. I want other people to add to this with their ideas and suggestions.

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Ahh, It's no trouble at all Highfire. I'm glad you found something that I missed, actually! This is not just a thread for me. I want other people to add to this with their ideas and suggestions.

Hehe, thanks man, I can't currently think of anything people are missing, with exception to some very specific situations, I suppose. And no offense but any other use for this I can't think off except stickying, they should do that with all your threads!

I'll see you later obould

- H
obould
obould
712 posts
Nomad

Eh... that seems a little over the top though. Sticky all my threads? C'mon... I'm not that good, my RPGs aren't that great anyway. I would sticky SirNoobalot's before mine.

Showing 1-15 of 104