ForumsSupport ForumSpam Decrease & AP Increase

13 3696
Raxter
Raxter
139 posts
Nomad

I dont know if all of you have been reading DragonMistress idea about getting AP for playing the games. I have and i must say that it really gave me some great plan's to work on for her idea, Wich is also why i made this New Topic instead of posting on her one. I was affraid that the ideas would stay preatty unread if they were posted in one of the pages on her topic. Anyway:

You could add a counter below the game window that counts how manny secounds and minutes you have been playing the game, and you could get exemply 1 Ap every 5 minutes or so.
The counter should stop counting if you pause the game and/or leave your computer to count up points while you are doing completly difrent stuff. Lets say that the counter stops if you dont do anything for 30 secound.

Also this would be a great idea becouse some people spend their time on getting AP instead of playing the games. this would make them stop spamming the comment boxes around and make them start playing again.

Beside of that you should make a new AP counter in the profile, called "Playtime" or something like that to count these points in. This will also show who are spamming and not playing, becouse a guy who have rated 300 games and got a playtime of 50 minutes would be preatty busted.

So as i see it, this would be a brilliant idea. It reduces spam and makes it even more fun to play the games around

• 13 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

As that would be very nice, I don't think there is a way to have a counter like that. How would it be able to tell when you weren't playing? I would think it would glitch out a lot. There is definitely a way to hack that and then someone could get loads of AP overnight.

Raxter
Raxter
139 posts
Nomad

Yeah you have a point there. Im not sure how to tecnical stuff could be aranged, kinda hoped that some of the game creators could deal with it but it might be harder then so.

ohh well that was a lot time wasted on... nothing ^.- lol

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I do not think this would work out very well.

You would be getting a lot of people playing games like Sonny or Line Rider for hours on end just to gain a lot of AP. I took me about 1.5 hours to beat Sonny so that would be ~18 AP for one time through. And the last thing we need to is to increase the amount of time kids play online games instead of doing constructive things. Like homework. Or exercising. Or getting a job, darn punks. ^_^

I think an even better idea for decreasing spam but increasing AP would be giving members something like 5 AP for every 10 valid spam posts they flagged or reported to a mod and were the first one to do so. Along those lines. People would be more prone to report spam if they knew that after so many they would get a few AP, and spammers would know that if post spam a good amount or people would be keeping an eye out for it.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Devoid, that is a good idea! That would help with the spam. OMG I love it.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Sending it to the higher ups and such, I thought it sounded pretty cool. ^_^

I think it would help out.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

Yea Devoidless that's a great idea it would really help spam and the mod's out.I absolutely love that idea!

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Alright, the idea is sent and all that jazz. If it does get brought into the site I think it would help out a lot. Granted we do not get all that much spam, I see enough as it is. Mostly on the game comments. People seem to think they can get away with it there.

Calm
Calm
908 posts
Herald

Well, Devoidless, if we implemented your suggestions, users could get AP very, very fast... Indeed it's really easy to find spam on the game boards. I could find hundreds of spam messages in under a hour.

Now for Raxter's idea, i don't think it's a good idea. First of all it would b very hard to control the playtime. Secondly nothing would prevent users to open a game and go onto another page. For example I would open (if I was a spammer/hacker/someone who desperately wanted points) Strategy defense and not play it but leave the page open overnight... I would get an insane number of APs.
I don't really think it's a good idea, except if we can find a way to control it effectively.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Well, the numbers are not set in stone. I just throw numbers like that out there. I could just as easily be 10 AP per 100 spam. The numbers I put down were just on a whim.

The_Idea_Men
The_Idea_Men
102 posts
Nomad

devoidless, i cannot deny the snazzy of your suggestion. helping mods is always good and no reason for there to not be rewards (unless it turns into a witch hunt and the mods get swamped with accusations of spam outside of one word posts. "thats a two word post, its spam/ that's just a string of curse words thats spam/ they ended that sentence with a preposition, its spam&quot

but whatever.

Heres my main thing, overall, WHAT IS THE FREAKING OBSESSION WITH APs?

what is the main point of this site? to play games, or to become a silver 'duke'?

yeah, they're cool and we all like the little badges. and i think the unlocking aramatars at different point levels is a fine idea, but must we get APs for EVERYTHING?

Arent the games why we came here in the first place? I mean, its alright, but my main reason for joining wasnt so i could become a 'wood prince' ... in all actuality my main reason for joining was to make fun of the bad games and rave about the good ones.

But this need for armor points is tired. i think every 9th thread on the boards is about how to get more points
"I propose we get armor points for logging on"
"I think we should get armor points for logging out"
"i think we should get armor points any time we exhale."

just get over it. not everybody can be like firetail madness when you grow up. ...or turn 15. or whatever.

play the games, make friends, make enemies and if you "level up" along the way, kudos. if not, just quit whining about it.

j4ym4n
j4ym4n
7 posts
Nomad

*thinks*

must be a way to reduce spam.
Its annoying to see people just write "cool" and "hi" or "its alright", with out having any real input.

the effort to moderate spam, such as reporting it all the time, will just result in EVERYONE reporting EVERYTHING, in an attempt to increase AP. It will be very time consuming by the armourgames.com moderators to go through each individual comment to decipher wether or not it is inappropriate.

Amazing teh effort people will go to just to obtain an extra few pictures, heh.

StarScreamer
StarScreamer
608 posts
Shepherd

That's a good idea but if you were to have a certain amount of AP per [i]X minutes then people could cheat and just leave it blank. So maybe if you were to have some sort of thing that would make sure that you are actually playing and not just messing around. Or maybe have special AP games that for every level you beat you get [i]X amount of AP. If you know what I mean by that.

DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

UGH! I just wrote a huge response and the internet spasmed and its lost. Here is the gist of it.

First and foremost, I was alarmed to see my name in bold here. But I made an impression on someone, yae!

I wish I had more knowledge of Flash games because I had basically the same idea that StarScreamer mentioned above, among a ton of other ideas that float around during my drive to and from work. It would be cool if we could have games specifically made for AG that would give out AP on a one-shot deal for completing certain things. Due to my aforementioned lack of knowledge about Flash games, I have no idea how we could implement this.

About the idea to give out AP to those who snag the spammers, I think its an interesting idea... I enjoy the feeling of catching a spammer slightly more than the AP (but only slightly) though I feel like this becoming a rule might cause a gigantic influx of the workload of moderators, who would have to confer with each other about who caught who first, etc...

Showing 1-13 of 13