ForumsArt, Music, and WritingThe Words and Workings of Wolf

634 206241
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Here is a thread dedicated to my work as a writer. This thread will mostly be filled with my poems which vary in theme but I try to fashion myself after my favourite poet T.S Eliot, who I believed captured human nature in his words. I aspire to do the same. Please feel free wo citique and review my work. However, simply saying "I like it" is not good enough, as a writer I must grow and develop so I beg you readers to give me a reason as to why or why not you liked the poem. To start off I shall provide you with one of my personal favourties.

These Are The Boring Bits

Call life what you will,
A joke,
A curse,
A gift,
An adventure.
Take from it what you will,
Joy,
Sorrow,
Love,
Hate.
Lose yourself in it
Find your purpose
Or,
Find nothing at all.

A man asked, "What is the meaning of life?"
A woman told him, "Whatever you make it to be."
A child asked, "Is god real?"
A parent told them, "Only you can decide."

Personal opinion is what we use to guide us,
The opinions of others are what lose us.
We can never be certain
That we are certain of anything
Because of change,
And because things stay the same.
What makes sense one day,
Will confuse us another,
And so it goes on.
People tell others to:
Get in line,
Grow up,
Get our lives straight,
Who told these people these things?
And why tell us the things that broke them?

Is it human nature to be unhappy?

Two men sit on a bench,
In a park,
Under a tree.
They talk about family and friends
They talk about work and dreams.
One man says, "It is a waste of time to dream,"
The other says, "Yes, but to have dreams is not."
Dreams are what the world is made of
Bad dreams,
Good dreams,
Lost dreams.

Hope is never far off,
As the old die,
The young are born,
The young grow,
They become old,
The old die.
But while they are young,
They change the world.
Some for the better,
Others for the worse.

Inspiration is a dream.

The only inspiration in life is life:
What to do?
How to do it?
Can we change the world?
How to change the world?
Is there purpose?
Are we real?
Or a figment of imagination?
All questions do not need answers.

Call life what you will,
These are the boring bits.

• 634 Replies
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Illian and Allandrias are Twins. Cackle and Henadrew are sisters. The fallen gods are harder to explain. Basically they're dead, but they're not dead.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

I'm also considering expanding the pantheon. It seems somewhat incomplete to me.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

You are missing the god/goddess of seduction and pleasures

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

You are missing the god/goddess of seduction and pleasures

Oh, of course. Gotta have some in your life.
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Existence In Denial: Holidays

Between bread and burnt toast, between Dan and John, between my psycotic urges to throttle them both in their sleep I've managed to find room in my heart for the holiday spirit. Mind you it is a rather small room and the heating could use some work, but it's there.
I've never been a big fan of christmas. I suppose it's because I was poor growing up and the best present I ever received was a gameboy colour that was ten years old and had no batteries. Don't get me wrong I'm not ungrateful, I love my family, my parents are great people, I just wish my father wouldn't get drunk on egg nog and my mother's wine. However, my love for the holiday is sorely tested when I turn on the T.V and have to endur all the adds about helping others while big bussinesses try to kill you and take every penny you have. I wouldn't mind the holidays so much if it wasn't so commercialized as it is. Anyway those are just my thoughts.
I'll be spending this Christmas with my two roommates fighting over a canned ham while John launches Opperation Dan is Gay. Basically his whole idea is to bring a gay man home for the holidays and throw him on Dan and see how Dan reacts. Seeing as he hasn't reacted well the past three years I'm not holding John's plan in high esteem. Mind you I hope the gay man tries to attach himself to John like he did last year. Or Dan comes at John with a spoon like the year before that. Anyway, I think I'll sit back, put my feet up, eat some Doritos and see how things go.

Love (but not really),
Jason Rockwell

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

I love the sarcastic humor of it all. Mostly because nothing these days are ever really in that theme or vein of character style. Not to mention that your characters seem realistically irritating. Have you considered this as your next project; or even a side-a-long project for your main piece?

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

I've toyed with the idea. as of right now this is an experiment while I figure out my main plans. If this turns out to be large enough I might turn it into something bigger. Styled like a journal entry type thing.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

Sounds like something i'd buy, so obviously i'd keep going with it.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Well, I'm kind of all over the place with my writing as the holidays get closer, but I kept running over summaries for the plot. Essentially what I'm going to give you is something like you'd find on the back of a novel. Hopefully this gives you an idea of where I eventually intend to go with this whole mess. Also, this is you christmas present from me. Merry Christmas.

The Saga of Euwa Working Summary

The pantheon of gods have long over looked the world of men with a cynical, and disinterested eye; only occasionally moving men as if they were chess pieces. That is about to change for the Kaelitine Empire has made a bold move to advance itself as the soul ruler of the continent. Meanwhile a rumours stir of unrest in the North, where it is said that long ago nightmarish creatures roamed. And all the while an grief stricken guard, a hunted assassin and a seemingly unimportant street girl are each in turn affected by a mysterious warrior who asks after city of Tywane. There will be a reckoning between the gods, the emporer and the warrior, and when the dust clears nothing will remain unchanged.

IcyIndia
IcyIndia
1,344 posts
Nomad

Ok, I found quite a few mistakes here that confused me while reading, misleading me a bit in my understanding of the content of the summary itself.

Where it says "And all the while" I didn't quite get what was happening at the same time. Was it the rumors? I'm confused.

Anyway, I liked the plot; it's very nice and I want to read more.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Spelling and grammar are so hard to find in this text box sometimes. Like I said, it's a working summary, I'll be tweaking it.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

It sounds like you've borrowed quite a bit from the Greeks idea of the world of gods. Aside from that i'm "aroused by your work" (To quote my English teacher .

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

I was planning on leaving you with Jay's rant about Christmas, but I think this will be your true Christmas Present.

The Night Before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas
And all through the house
Not a creature was stirring,
Well, except for my spouse.
She was a little hazy with the holiday nog
And kept trying to dance, with our dog.
The family was huddled behind the couch
Except for I, being no slouch.
I rose to the challenge of taming my wife
That is until she came at me, with a butcher knife.
We ran from the house, with terror and fear
Uncle Ben shouted out "Get the cops over here!"
So I dialled them up, lickity spit
When asked the problem, I explained it.
They said they were busy, no one to send
They told us too bad, we'll just have to fend.
So Uncle Ben, myself and Aunt Sue
Came up with a plan, on what to do.
We lured her out with glasses of nog
And then trussed her up like a holiday hog.
'twas easy it seemed with her so drunk
Until at the door we heard a thunk.
Turns out the police were at our front door,
It seems we're under arrest for stealing our neighbour next door.
So here we sit, in the local jail
My wife just came in, and won't give us bail.

Efan
Efan
3,086 posts
Nomad

That's fantastic. And I thjink we all know why the wife wont give bail

It's a nice change from the usual style. That's always good.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Between all the time I have spent writing this and that, I have spent thinking. So many thoughts crowding my head, screaming for silence and never giving way to silence. Always pushing one thought on top of the other until it is nothing by a cacaphony of madness that draws me farther away from my true goal. Dragged through the underbrush and overgrowth of my untamed immagination, far off the well worn paths I had carved into this wilderness in hopes of imposing some type of order. But, I should know by now that order is nothing by a futile gesture that the world will eventually sweep away. For it is nature's nature to be chaotic, to resist all impositions of what we have created. Order.

But, we crave order, for in order lays peace. We grow weary of the constant wars, the battles waged in the name of false idols and ideologies. We grow sick, falling into stupors that, for what ever reason, drag at our senses consuming our attentions. So that the battles may continue. All the while we long for peace. Such is the nature of my soul a battle that drains me of my resources and cunning, untill my mind is dulled and worn thin by the ceaseless insensitivities of those around me. Give, and give again, each time I am tasked to give more. And, receive nothing in return. All I seek is peace, and something in return.

Showing 196-210 of 634