Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

The Words and Workings of Wolf

Posted Jul 14, '11 at 10:46am

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

On the subject of PG-13:

As you've pointed out, its a touching thing. But from what I've seen in the WoM, and other threads, you CAN get away with some measure of violence. Obviously, you can't say something like 'as the sword rolled through his belly, it left a gasping hole that spilled forth his blood and ventrils', but you can say more like 'I swung my sword at his gut, and then swung it around before finishing him off with a skull-crushing blow to the head'. I'm 15, and a teen male as Efan pointed out, but I don't like the overly gory stuff. I really liked 'Road of NIght', and I think you should continue it. Describing the burned out hulks and charred remains of a wall thats met the buisness end of a sorceror's spell isn't PG-13; its just good, descriptive writing.

If it really bothers you that much, put it up to Strop, Cenere, or Gantic.

Worse case scenario, just link to an out-of-site page where you can put the rest of it up, soley for those who are interested in it (which is a lot of people, mind you).

Posted Jul 14, '11 at 1:50pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

Fair point Maverick. I've just been obsessively going over the whole R&R and Gantic's new sticky. From what Gantic wrote it seems pretty clear my more descriptive pieces aren't allowed here.

Posted Jul 14, '11 at 2:08pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

I like the Road of Night, and it doesn't have violence yet. So its not like you got your fanbase for it soley on the gore aspects.

WoM has had mild violence in the past, and its posted up by Strop. KoA had mild violence, and Nicho never got in trouble for it (you may or may not know this one). My Story Series has had a few outburst, and will have violence in it, and everyone still adores me. ^^

You can have 'blood flecked swords', but no 'throwing entrails up int he air and dacning as blood rained down.'

And worst case scenario, your post gets deleted and you get a slap on the hand.

Posted Jul 14, '11 at 3:58pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

it doesn't have violence yet

Yes, see that's the key point there. I do a lovely build up to get people interested. I'm not grotesque, but I'm not Tolkien either. I'm on a middle ground, but that middle ground is not PG 13.

And worst case scenario, your post gets deleted and you get a slap on the hand.

True, I'm going to have to seriously consider this though. Having my work deleted isn't exactly a fun experience.

Posted Jul 15, '11 at 12:40am

Efan

Efan

2,692 posts

True, I'm going to have to seriously consider this though.
Having my work deleted isn't exactly a fun experience.

Surely you will have copies?
Hmm. Is there anyway you could get special permission for some kind of thread with users needing permission to access or those under 14 years of age or so not being allowed in or something similar?

You could spin it so Cormyn will see it as a show that the AG website supports young aspiring authors. Call it the rising writers program for AG's burgeoning authors and poets. The AMW is a pretty solid community at times you know. So maybe a petition?

That's as far as my head will take me at the moment, there probably millions of better ideas.

Posted Jul 15, '11 at 7:01am

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

Hmm. Is there anyway you could get special permission for some kind of thread with users needing permission to access or those under 14 years of age or so not being allowed in or something similar

See, age isn't the problem. It's maturity level. I know plenty of people your guys' age who couldn't handle my writing because they're utterly retarded.

Also, I highly doubt that Efan. AG is a gaming website first, and not some Hipster out of the way coffee shop that sells strange coffee combinations to the latest sounds of the most obscure bands on the planet. I'm in no serious complaint against the site, hell this community is the reason I post stuff here, I'm just...I don't exactly know. I suppose I have a different view on what qualifies for PG 13. Must be the Canadian in me, we're much more open to accepting harsh words and violence than one might believe. If you don't believe me compare our movie ratings to that of America.

Posted Jul 15, '11 at 9:01am

Efan

Efan

2,692 posts

Also, I highly doubt that Efan. AG is a gaming website first, and not some Hipster out of the way coffee shop that sells strange coffee combinations to the latest sounds of the most obscure bands on the planet.

I'm not sure how but I think I just got looked down upon :D

Whatever, my brain hasn't exactly been focused lately.

I hope a solution comes to mind, whoevers mind that is.

Posted Jul 17, '11 at 1:36pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

The rain runs in rivets;
Carving creases into my face.
Age seeps silently in my bones.
Cruel, careless time.

Posted Jul 19, '11 at 6:55pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

I'd like to pose a question to everyone reading this thread. I do not expect answers, but I would greatly appreicate them greatly.

Here is the question: If you could be granted one wish, what would it be?

Before you answer though, I have these conditions:

One: You cannot take this wish back

Two: You cannot wish for wealth and power

Three: This wish would fundamentally change your life for better or worse.

Posted Jul 19, '11 at 7:17pm

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

11,693 posts

Knight

If you could be granted one wish, what would it be?

To rewind time to June 1st, 2009.

Reply to The Words and Workings of Wolf

You must be logged in to post a reply!