ForumsWEPRGay Marriage-Should it be Legal or not?

561 106934
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

I personally think that it should be legal cause it doesnt hurt anybody and everyone has the right to marry who they love.

• 561 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I'm not sure if I'm following the point of this thread.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I knew I had a feeling of deja vu when reading this thread.

I have no problem with gay marriage. As I've said before, marriage is only a game. So why wouldn't we include everyone?

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

I have no problem with gay marriage. As I've said before, marriage is only a game. So why wouldn't we include everyone?

I like that. And there has already been a thread. Perhaps this one should be locked?
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

I have no problem with gay marriage. As I've said before, marriage is only a game.

Ernie, please stay single if you truly think marriage is a game. Marriage is the hardest decision, as a free woman, I've ever faced. It's a true labor of love because I've never worked so hard in my life and I'm a homemaker that hasn't worked outside of the home since 9/13/01!
So, in other words, a single person only has themselves to be responsible to and for. The budget is easy, the living conditions are simple and you don't have to worry that what you're fixing for dinner is going to be eaten and liked or become target practice.
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

Marriage is the hardest decision, as a free woman, I've ever faced.

You got married to the state... not each other. You agree to a set of predafined rules as set up by the state... not each other... You recieve benefits from the state for doing this, not from each other...

You and your husband are the ones who decided to commit, not the state, you and your husband can or did bring children into the world, not the state, you and your husband own your life, not the state.

Real marriage is in the heart, not in the home.

This is why I agree, marriage is a game played by powerful forces, and we are the pawns.

If I ever marry, I will take my loved one to a quiet place in the forrest with a bottle of wine, tell her my feelings and intentions, if she agrees we will make sweet lurve, and the state will never... ever... know of my heart.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I can see where Ernie is coming from but the 'game' analogy doesn't really work. I'd go with the analogy of a 'stage' (The sort where people put on plays not the Mario-your-princess-is-in-another-castle type stage). If a loving couple want to be together and want a way in which to declare their love, to show those around them that they are dedicated whole-heartedly to one another then the marriage stage is one way of doing this - why shouldn't a devoted couple be able to do this? Does gender really matter compared to love?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I don't see why people can't be together without getting married. The marriage part doesn't really do anything except limit your life, which I don't understand why anyone would ever want to go out of their way to do. Marriage is only an idea; it isn't a physical thing. So now the government is choosing who can have ideas together and who can't?

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

I don't see why either but of course the monetary benefits are obvious for people who get married in terms of 'what happens if I die?' - and I guess marriage and the limiting your life thing is to show your commitment - in some bizarre way.

zasgat
zasgat
142 posts
Nomad

i think it is unconstitutional and doesn't hurt anyone

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Zasgat I take it that you mean that the ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional?

I have no problem with it, as a friend of mine once said "Gay people have just as much of a right to be miserable as straight people."

zasgat
zasgat
142 posts
Nomad

i meant banning it is unconstitutional oops veryy sorry

slayguy8
slayguy8
718 posts
Peasant

if they are happy go right ahead but if they are just doning it for benafits no they shouldnt

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

As far as I know, most people who get married for the benefits are illegal aliens that are paying an american citizen to marry them.

AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

As far as I know, most people who get married for the benefits are illegal aliens that are paying an american citizen to marry them.

No way. Everyone gets married for the benefits it bestows. In the uk a married couple gets to pay less for certain things like tax etc... If you are, however, just a partner you actually get penalised. I know lots of couples who move in togeather and say they are just room mates to avoid this.
IllustratorAnimus
IllustratorAnimus
20 posts
Peasant

It should be legal, you should be allowed to love whom you love you can't control whom you fall for.

Showing 1-15 of 561