ForumsWEPRGay Marriage-Should it be Legal or not?

561 107020
turret
turret
1,628 posts
Shepherd

I personally think that it should be legal cause it doesnt hurt anybody and everyone has the right to marry who they love.

• 561 Replies
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

My mental spanking is to stand up to them.
That's my bad, then. Misunderstanding. "Mental spanking" sounds like a punishment, though, doesn't it? If it was to stand up to them, why didn't you just clarify that?
AnaLoGMunKy
AnaLoGMunKy
1,574 posts
Blacksmith

If it was to stand up to them, why didn't you just clarify that?

Well thats why its called a mental spanking. Not mental as in going mental. But your mentality. Using the intellect. I forget other countrys have a different idea on the same word.

My friend went to america and called someone crazy, which they took great offence to. In UK its pretty much a compliment. Unless you say it in a bad way, but even then, we are all crazy over here so... meh!
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Well thats why its called a mental spanking. Not mental as in going mental. But your mentality. Using the intellect. I forget other countrys have a different idea on the same word.

No, mental means using intellect or relating to mentality or the brain here as well, "going mental" is just a slang term. But "mental spanking" sounded like an emotional punishment as opposed to a physical one, like insulting or ostracizing.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Well, it's not like being a bigot ever hurt anyone, right?

I would say the suppression of equality is harmful. But other then that there are plenty of examples of brutality and even murder as a direct result of ones bigoted views.
So yes it can be harmful.

As long as it's not hurting anyone, why should we bother them?

This is usually not the case. but if they are not acting on it fine, it's there problem then. Do what was mention above or go to a place spouting such bigoted views then expect to be called on it.

So are idiots and the mentally ill, but you don't see anyone "mentally spanking" them, do you?

These are not comparable. Bigotry is a learned trait, your comparisons are not. While it may be difficult for them to over come such indoctrination it's not impossible. At the very least they can make the effort to break the cycle with there children so they don't hold those inaccurate views.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

I would say the suppression of equality is harmful. But other then that there are plenty of examples of brutality and even murder as a direct result of ones bigoted views.
So yes it can be harmful
Kinda like religion, I suppose. People tolerate it.
This is usually not the case. but if they are not acting on it fine, it's there problem then. Do what was mention above or go to a place spouting such bigoted views then expect to be called on it.

Getting called on it is fine.
These are not comparable. Bigotry is a learned trait, your comparisons are not. While it may be difficult for them to over come such indoctrination it's not impossible. At the very least they can make the effort to break the cycle with there children so they don't hold those inaccurate views.

I suppose those aren't the best of examples...how about religion, then?
Although, my entire argument there was based on a misunderstanding. I thought he meant "mental spanking" as in a punishment, whereas he was just basically saying "call them on it".
derek13756
derek13756
168 posts
Nomad

it aint gonna hurt anyone by doing it.

pickleshack
pickleshack
356 posts
Nomad

Gay people should be allowed to marry. Simple as that.

monty919
monty919
1 posts
Nomad

[b]gay marriges should be allowed as it is one's choice whom he wants to love

yazoo
yazoo
34 posts
Nomad

I dont see anything wrong with gay marriages But what does annoy me are the gay people who prance around just because your gay you dont have to act like a fairy =p

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I meant for that, whateverhisnamewas - the guy who attempted to argue that homosexuals shouldn't marry because that "can't bear children" - to read this article:
Here

Even though it is only one study, it still speaks a bit. But interesting, especially to me.

nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

boy i thought the moderators would have the common respect to address someone by his known title, even it is a made up name. i guess this whole world is goin down the tubes.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

boy i thought the moderators would have the common respect to address someone by his known title, even it is a made up name. i guess this whole world is goin down the tubes.

I thought we got rid of you?
nevetsthereaper
nevetsthereaper
641 posts
Nomad

The authors included 154 women in 84 families who underwent artificial insemination to start a family; the parents agreed to answer questions about their children's social skills, academic performance and behavior at five follow-up times over the 17-year study period.

Your telling me that a study of 84 families is comparible to the millions of heterosexual families out there? Of course the heterosexuals couples had more kids with problems, there were more people. That doesnt even make sense, but maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way.

On another note, your a very clever moderator, Asherlee, vaugeley insulting me, but not saying anything directly towards me. So as to avoid trouble, taking a side and whatnot. And if i did actually complain to a higher up, you could say you werent even directing that comment at me, you were obviously directing it to anyone else who commented on the thread, besides my father of course, all of whom were on your side anyway.

Also, why was the study only done on women. Just curious, has a study like this ever been done on gay families that were comprised of two males?
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

Your telling me that a study of 84 families is comparible to the millions of heterosexual families out there?

It's called taking a sample of the population. Would you prefer if they wasted time and money talking to every family out there?
pickleshack
pickleshack
356 posts
Nomad

But what does annoy me are the gay people who prance around just because your gay you dont have to act like a fairy =p

You shouldn't invest any of your energy into something that doesn't matter. People act how they act, there is nothing wrong with being flamboyant, and those who act that way are probably just doing what is in their nature. Besides, flamboyantly gay people are hilarious.
Showing 151-165 of 561