ForumsGames[necro] What is the best Age of Empires, 1, 2 or 3?

33 54517
Stegarex
Stegarex
5 posts
Nomad

For those aoe players out there, what do you think is the best one. Aoe 1 almost older than me lol but i think that it has the best gameplay. I had a stalmate once, not a tree any where.

• 33 Replies
mojo72595
mojo72595
166 posts
Nomad

i actually liked age of empires 1 the best... and i HATE the third one, idk why

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

1: Good education on the earliest times and more &quotower" feeling with say, a hoplite against an axeman.
2: Maybe even better education and balanced units (with exception to various unique units), a classic, no doubt. Not to mention better pathfinding and graphics.
3: Much better graphics and all units are properly balanced, with more varying civilizations, ships have no population and micro-management is much more meaningful with the ranged units being a majority in this game by a very significant margin.

Also. Age of Empires Online is coming out, look up "Age of Empires Online Trailer" on YouTube and check it out.
It looks more cartoony but also the mechanics is MUCH better, by looks, of course.

By the way, without a doubt - Age of Empires III has a much better scenario editor, as well as Age of Mythology.

However, I miss the cross-civilization Castles on AoEII, and Outposts on Age of Empires III (or Watch / Guard Towers / Keeps) are less significant, with more damage but less fire rate, less survivability, and less splash. Splash because Age of Mythology towers shot multiple arrows which could hit units around the one that it is aimed at.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text. Have fun!

Oh, can we include Age of Mythology in this aswell? An amazing spinoff (with its unique units being myth units, they are awesome).

- H

Elitemagical
Elitemagical
1,208 posts
Nomad

My favourite was the first Age of Empires. Whether it was simply I spent ridiculously more amounts of time on it than its sequels or the mechanics were more appealing to me I do not know but it was my favourite. Age of Empires 2 did a great job at being historically accurate but didn't surprise me in any other aspects. I never picked up a copy of the third instalment because it got a bashing from professional game critics.

Oh, can we include Age of Mythology in this aswell?

Seconded.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

My favourite was the first Age of Empires. Whether it was simply I spent ridiculously more amounts of time on it than its sequels or the mechanics were more appealing to me I do not know but it was my favourite. Age of Empires 2 did a great job at being historically accurate but didn't surprise me in any other aspects. I never picked up a copy of the third instalment because it got a bashing from professional game critics.

And with fair reason on some aspects.
More ranged units, spoiling melee combat that would appear to be a large part of AoE.
More modern style.
Much larger ships, for gameplay reasons this could be a problem.
Not much a problem, but a large AoE difference in that each civilization had significant difference, whereas AoEII Aztec and Mayans didn't have as much as any others.

I didn't appreciate it at the start, simply because of its very different style.

Seconded.

Good, now one of the best points about Age of Mythology is that it had significant differences and minor differences.
The unique units (aka myth units) were a very good comeback and allowed more fluidity, without being overpowered (in some cases) and were involved with 2 resources only (mostly, again), one of them solely based on them and other god improvements.

- H
Stegarex
Stegarex
5 posts
Nomad

I like playing with Gaurdians in AOM sinario mode and wiping out everything

I think;
The best cheat in AOE 1 is BIGDADDY
The best cheat in AOE 2 is AEGIS
The best cheat in AOE 3 is TUCK TUCK TUCK (MAD!)
The best cheat in AOM is WRATH OF THE GODS

Elitemagical
Elitemagical
1,208 posts
Nomad

The best cheat in AOE 1 is BIGDADDY

N00b. The best cheat is GAIA, type it in when you're near the end of the game, it gives you enough food for complete and utter troop spam.
Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Umm... Elitemagical... Isn't GAIA from AoEII ?
GAIA is in AoEII, Elitemagical recommends you use it

Anyway, can some of us stay on topic? So far I think we should count the score :P
I'm undecided, and Elitemagical said AoEI
AoEI - I
AoEII - 0
AoEIII - 0
AoM - 0

- H

locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

actually the best cheat is either GIVEMEFISSIONMAN
or steroids or both i always use steroids it helps make everything go faster so i don't have to sit and wait 10 minutes for a building

Zega
Zega
6,921 posts
Peasant

Personally, I like the Age of Empires 2 game the most. First of all, I don't think I've never played the first game, and secondly, I really dislike the third game.

Age of Mythology > Age of Empires 2 > Age of Empires 1 > Age of Empires 3

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

Personally, I like the Age of Empires 2 game the most. First of all, I don't think I've never played the first game, and secondly, I really dislike the third game.
Age of Mythology > Age of Empires 2 > Age of Empires 1 > Age of Empires 3

One reason I may lean towards AoEII more than AoEIII is the maps. Black Forest on AoEII is simple yet very fun, and allows more tactics (walls.. lol) than AoEIII random maps.
I'm going to go with AoEII

AoEI - I
AoEII - I
AoEIII - 0
AoM - I

Poor AoEIII

- H
locoace3
locoace3
15,053 posts
Nomad

if you didnt count mine i vote for AoE one...in fact i feel like playing it >.> <.<

escartian
escartian
780 posts
Nomad

AoE2 get my vote
It had more units then AoE1
AOE3 is bad (what happened to barbarians and stuff?)
I just like to use powerfull towers to win
(can't be done in age 3) And I like the caste from 2

Highfire
Highfire
3,026 posts
Nomad

AoE2 get my vote
It had more units then AoE1
AOE3 is bad (what happened to barbarians and stuff?)
I just like to use powerfull towers to win
(can't be done in age 3) And I like the caste from 2

I agree, the towers / Outposts on AoEIII are pretty worthless to be honest, only a few grouped together can do anything effective, though they are effective for line of sight and point guard.

AoEI - II
AoEII - II
AoEIII - 0
AoM - I

Okay! Nice.
Let's keep them coming people

- H
Newbie055
Newbie055
49 posts
Peasant

I liked the second one over the first but that's because I started with Age of Empires 2. The first is pretty fun though.

reapersouless89
reapersouless89
1 posts
Nomad

empires two deffinetly very accurate to the history books and hella fun too gotta love the cheat with the shelbys lol so funny

Showing 1-15 of 33