ForumsProgramming Forum[REFERENCE INFO] Game Creator's Useful Links

161 112829
Tydus
Tydus
239 posts
Nomad

Programs

Adobe Flash CS3 - Newest version of Flash and the first to be published by Adobe. This is the ONLY program that Armor Games supports for games on the website, unless you have another way to create an .swf file.
Cost: $699 (30-Day Free Trial Available roduct=flash">HERE)

Game Maker 7 - An extremely popular program that's used by many indy developers to create games. It's extremely easy to use, and is great for those of you starting out.
Cost: Free!

This topic is a work in progress and will be edited to include more programs at a later date. If you want to see a program added, or need help with game development, please leave me a comment of my userpage. Thank you.

• 161 Replies
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

You're going to have to put the disc into your computer, then install it, which is pretty much "downloading" it.

Nope.

Download - to transfer (software, data, character sets, etc.) from a distant to a nearby computer, from a larger to a smaller computer, or from a computer to a peripheral device.

Install - to place in position or connect for service or use

When you download something you receive files from a server. When you install something you are using files you already have.

Very often after downloading a program you need to install it so they are two different things.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

@master565 you're correct downloading is explicitly used for getting information from another grouped computer system or network.

For a CD or another peripheral it would be a transfer of information from one storage system to another.

When you download something you receive files from a server. When you install something you are using files you already have.

Not necessarily you can download and install at the same time. Or just download to a directory.
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Not necessarily you can download and install at the same time. Or just download to a directory.

But wouldn't you still be installing the files you are currently downloading? Even if you only have them for a fraction of a second before they install, they are still on your hardrive first.
DarkLink1133
DarkLink1133
6 posts
Nomad

note that the link to adobe flash only leads to the newest flash

acmed
acmed
3,518 posts
Nomad

if anybody wants to know how to put gamecreator games into an swf file, write on my wall

WhiskeyedJack
WhiskeyedJack
80 posts
Shepherd

Haven't seen anyone else mention it yet, so I figured I'd pipe up. The ArmorBlog has a very interesting article on How to Become a Game Developer, for anyone who might be interested.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

This thread was very useful, thank you :]

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

cool yeah game maker is easy but kinda stupid u can do nothin with the games and stuff it's very limited

It isn't that limited, once you get to know all of it's capabilities. However, the drag and drop icons can only get you so far, and then you will have to learn GML (Game Maker Language).
plantlovingaxemurder
plantlovingaxemurder
11 posts
Nomad

http://inventwithpython.com/ try this site it lets you do anything. It is free. But it is not easy and you will have to learn. However I do not know if armorgames allows this kind of game, does anyone know? Anyways check it out.

Awesomeyi
Awesomeyi
122 posts
Nomad

I know how you can get adobe professional cs5.5 for free and save 700 dollars.

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

@awesomeyi,

How?

Awesomeyi
Awesomeyi
122 posts
Nomad

Its technically illegal, so I don't want to post the link here, cause I might be banned. But, if I can, and the mods say so, I will.

Awesomeyi
Awesomeyi
122 posts
Nomad

sorry its against the rules to post the link

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Its technically illegal, so I don't want to post the link here, cause I might be banned. But, if I can, and the mods say so, I will.

It's not illegal to post the link, it's illegal to pirate the program. So your not getting it for free, your stealing it.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Community Forum Rules & Regulations

- No discussions of software piracy, hacking, illegal material, or linking to these activities will be tolerated.

It's not illegal to post the link, it's illegal to pirate the program. So your not getting it for free, your stealing it.

The legality of pirating it depends on where you live and whether it is stealing is also questionable. The fact is it is not tolerated if you want to discuss this is detail go somewhere else.
Showing 106-120 of 161