ForumsProgramming Forum[REFERENCE INFO] Game Creator's Useful Links

161 112701
Tydus
Tydus
239 posts
Nomad

Programs

Adobe Flash CS3 - Newest version of Flash and the first to be published by Adobe. This is the ONLY program that Armor Games supports for games on the website, unless you have another way to create an .swf file.
Cost: $699 (30-Day Free Trial Available roduct=flash">HERE)

Game Maker 7 - An extremely popular program that's used by many indy developers to create games. It's extremely easy to use, and is great for those of you starting out.
Cost: Free!

This topic is a work in progress and will be edited to include more programs at a later date. If you want to see a program added, or need help with game development, please leave me a comment of my userpage. Thank you.

• 161 Replies
ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Ah well, I already have it, so no need to pirate it.

I just wanted to know if there was a cheaper way of buying it, so that I know next time.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Student edition of flash cs5.5 is $180 dollars that's as cheap as it's gonna ever get.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

N0Nickname, discussion of how to obtain free software, aka pirating, is taboo around here.

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Obtaining free software isn't always pirating. Like, what if someone bought a copy and gave it to you?

Awesomeyi
Awesomeyi
122 posts
Nomad

Well, you can obtain adobe flash for free by downloading the trial version, blocking some websites and entering some fake serials.

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

OR you could use Deep Freeze.

Anyway, I don't think this is the most extensive list of links ever. Here are some sites that were invaluable during the development of my game.

Newgrounds Audio Portal
A great site with many different tunes. Be sure to give credit before you use anything from it though.

Audacity
This is also a great tool to change the pitch and light editing of music. It can also record if you can play an instrument.

Inkscape
Inkscape is a free vector graphics drawer. It can be useful if you're looking for a more extensive drawing tool than Flash's inbult stuff, but it has a steep learning curve IMO.

Stencyl
Stencyl is a free flash game creator. It is more forgiving than Flash in many ways, so it could be a good way for a person with no experimence to start.

ASGamer and MJW
Both provide great tips and code to help with complicated things in Flash, like garbage collection and easing.

300 Mechanics
An unfortunately inactive attempt to create 300 fresh mechanics in 300 days. Stuck for ideas? Have a looksee here.

FlashDevelop
FlashDevelop is useful even if you already use Flash. Flash has a pretty bad inbuilt code editor, and FlashDevelop does it a lot faster. It puts in import statements automatically, makes your event listener functions automatically, and a lot more.

Secret Weapon
A very useful site where you can simply put your problem in the textbox and it comes up with ways to solve it. Very useful indeed.

johnnyboy3636
johnnyboy3636
42 posts
Nomad

this is out of date we are on version 8.1 of gamemaker but great links

johnnyboy3636
johnnyboy3636
42 posts
Nomad

very helpful

gamerzakiullah
gamerzakiullah
41 posts
Shepherd

gamemaker is not free......it requires around 30 bucks....

mysteryguy90
mysteryguy90
23 posts
Nomad

Why did gamemaker have to raise the price to $30?

Oneeyedlarry
Oneeyedlarry
11 posts
Nomad

I opened your game maker link and theres no free option... Its all expensive

krisnaisawesome
krisnaisawesome
15 posts
Nomad

I always wonder... Why do adobe's products are expensive???

omarzocco
omarzocco
280 posts
Nomad

how do i create a game

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Just wanted to point out that Game Maker is not free anymore. It now costs $30 dollars.

master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Just wanted to point out that Game Maker is not free anymore. It now costs $30 dollars.

Not according to this it's not. The full version was always 30$, the free version was always free.
Showing 121-135 of 161