ForumsSupport ForumNo AP for profile comments.

10 4272
N00BKiller
N00BKiller
255 posts
Peasant

I think there should be no AP given for posting on profiles. As u can see if u go to my account, I've got spam left and right. To quote some:

I have no idea who this guy is:

RightwRong says:
Posted at 5:15pm on 8/16/2010
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm im bored

Same goes for this guy:
Brian266 says:
Posted at 11:59pm on 8/23/2010
this dude is a lamo-o

This is obvious. And i also have no idea who this is:
gameman22 says:
Posted at 3:40pm on 2/9/2010
omg

Now these are just a few of the spammers on my profile alone. I would suggest that u dont award AP for posting on profiles. If u do as i suggest, profiles would have 99% less spam.

Thank you.
  • 10 Replies
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

I think this is a great idea. you could also turn off comments on your page. and you can delete them like mrtim said. if you don't know how to delete comments its easy. you click the trashcan button next to the ones you delete. then you go to the control panel of your guy and click update profile. then they dissapear.

Theheyjude
Theheyjude
114 posts
Nomad

You have a good point but i think that AP is simply there to encourage people to interact with one another. but yes spammers are a shame

BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

I agree, lots of people have over 3000 comments and nothing else, simply from 'chatting' aka spamming, and gaining AP, I personally don't see the point in it, talk to your real friends on msn or something... Hence why I closed my comments.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

It's already been here a while and people have built up alot of AP due to it. Some people would feel alienated in the fact they would not have the same chance to get AP also commenting a lot of profiles is not against the rules either. If people are bothering you tell them to stop or inform a moderator about their activity and if you don't care about AP then why should the fact people use the comments like a insta-messaging service bother you?

ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

t's already been here a while and people have built up alot of AP due to it.

It's the main source of AP for almost every user. Taking it away would very likely enrage quite a few of them, possibly leading to them flaming or leaving AG.
To quote some:

Mmmh, quite a few users in the top 100 get regular spam. I would suggest deleting as much as you feel like, and if someone keeps spamming you, then report them to a mod or ask them to stop.
I agree, lots of people have over 3000 comments and nothing else,

Not that many people have that many comments: That's 6000 AP, most people haven't gotten that far yet.

Hence why I closed my comments.

Not everyone would agree with you. Comments are pretty useful for casual talk. Yes, some people use it as a sort of chatting service, but majority use it as a way to contact other users.
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

It's the main source of AP for almost every user. Taking it away would very likely enrage quite a few of them, possibly leading to them flaming or leaving AG.

I used to like getting AP, but I just wanted lord. Lord is like the best hat out there. But I never really gave a shit about AP ever since.
Now these are just a few of the spammers on my profile alone. I would suggest that u dont award AP for posting on profiles. If u do as i suggest, profiles would have 99% less spam.

Best to report to a mod.
You have a good point but i think that AP is simply there to encourage people to interact with one another. but yes spammers are a shame

Spamming is quite common every where. But spam is still very much a problem here.
Hence why I closed my comments.

I also close my comments often. To be honest, I used to comment a lot. But it gets boring. All you do is have random discussions, and all that. And I hardly ever reply to anyone now. Unless, it's very urgent about something I'll reply.

I agree with this. But Dan the creator, understands that AP keeps people here, so he's probably not going to change the AP at the moment.
Dragonz5
Dragonz5
96 posts
Nomad

I think that using the profile commenting should get AP. That is, only menaingful posts with more than 2 seconds of thought put in. Although, i agree with you on the spamming problem. You should not get AP for spam. Then again, how can you make the system only award AP for "good" comments. Quite a conundrum. O.o

N00BKiller
N00BKiller
255 posts
Peasant

thaboss said:
<cut>
you could also turn off comments on your page.
<cut>

Then how would people communicate with me? I don't want to remove my ability to communicate.

mrtim said:
<cut>
This is why you need to delete the spam comments for now.

I'm not just talking about my account. I'm talking about all accounts in general; including people who left AG. A good example would be nick_cool_haha, a.k.a. "the merit king".

He quit AG long ago. He may have a new account, but i don't know. But he quit this account for sure. And he has hundreds of comments on his profile telling him he has lots of merits. Go see for urself.

Darkroot said:
<cut>
If people are bothering you tell them to stop or inform a moderator about their activity
<cut>

Telling people to stop doesn't help. A lot of these spammers are just kids sitting behind their computer with nothing better to do rather than spam. If I tell them to stop, they just stop coming to my profile, and start spamming on other profiles. As for telling a moderator, there are about 800+ spammers out there and counting. I can't. It'd be a waste of my time.

Darkroot said:
<cut>
and if you don't care about AP then why should the fact people use the comments like a insta-messaging service bother you?
<cut>

Because I'm not good at ignoring people. Lots of the spammers leave rude comments, and i just can't keep myself to answering them, which is also a waste of my time.

Dragonz5 said:
<cut>
That is, only menaingful posts with more than 2 seconds of thought put in.
<cut>

This would be a bit hard to control, now, wouldn't it?

vinster132 said:
<cut>
I agree with this. But Dan the creator, understands that AP keeps people here, so he's probably not going to change the AP at the moment.

I see your point, but the spam is also making a lot of people quit AG, such as myself, who are sick and tired of this spam.

I like AG. It's a great flash game website. And I don't want to quit it. That's why I'm trying to do something about it.
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

To make this succint, go here.

Darktroop07
Darktroop07
3,592 posts
Shepherd

knight thank for the profile it came i handy

Showing 1-10 of 10