ForumsWEPRDrugs: Why not legalize?

948 166880
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

The topic says it all.

Why do governments feel the need to make drugs illegal? If anything, it causes a lot more problems than there were before. If they were legalized, there would not be nearly as many violent actions over getting them since the prices would not be nearly as high. There would not been as many people over doing it with drugs, since it would eventually just become a normal thing in day-to-day life.

• 948 Replies
clipmaster3
clipmaster3
104 posts
Nomad

People would get addicted to them and waste all of their money on it. they would od and die. chaos would ensue

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

I've heard this before, but I use a different example.
When alcohol was prohibited, the mafia ran speakeasies to provide alcohol to people who still wanted it. This became a very bloody business and many people died over it. However, it's estimated that MORE people die from drunk driving accidents than the mafia ever killed. If they legalized drugs, people wouldn't follow laws about driving and such, and the mortality rate would ultimately increase.

clipmaster3
clipmaster3
104 posts
Nomad

I do think marijuana should be allowed for medicinal purposes, though

JWE
JWE
111 posts
Nomad

Weed should be the only legal street drug.

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

Drugs kill your brain cells. Without brain cells, you dumb. The government is obligated to ban such things that have this effect on one's body.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I don't have time to really get into this, but I do know that marijuana does not kill brain cells like alcohol does. Marijuana "freezes" brain cells, then after a dormant period of use they "unfreeze." If you digest marijuana or inhale it through a vaporize you are running very low risk of any negative side effects from marijuana.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Long-term negatives... except death in an auto accident, as is the main reason why I think drugs should be illegal (And alcohol too, as much fun as it is xD)

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

see, legalizing drugs would alow more people to access them, and less people would be hurt trying to get the drugs. But the question is how people will react to drugs being legal. If everyone starts doing them, and overdosing, maybe people will relize more what drugs do to you. And banning them from, public places especially like smoking, its a persons choice to do drugs, but a person shouldn't be affected by others doing them, so similar to smoking, a certain distance from public places would be good.
sorry if this is all jumbled up.

Jordanhasgerms
Jordanhasgerms
150 posts
Nomad

The fact that they're illegal is a very good thing. People die very easily on drugs and overuse it and if they were to make it legal SOOO many more people would O.D. more than they do now.

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

What we realy need to do is focus more on getting people to realize what the effects of drugs, smoking and drinking are. If you get the message through, then people will think twice.

Jordanhasgerms
Jordanhasgerms
150 posts
Nomad

Yeah but people are still gonna just blow it off and say that it'll never happen to them that's just not good enough. It'll help like 20 people.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

If people want to off themselves by overdosing on drugs, is that the government's problem? I guess in some sense it is, since they will not get the tax revenue from that person, but then again they also won't have to pay social security benefits to that person either.
I don't like the idea of big government meddling in paternalistic laws like this - it implies some sort of universal morality, which really shouldn't exist and even if it does, it's not really the government's job to mandate morality.
Devoidless has a good point in that legalizing drugs could lead to more deaths in road accidents, which would be a government concern. But people are going to do drugs of all kinds whether or not they're illegal. I think that legalizing certain drugs would certainly increase tax revenue for the government and would make it that much harder for "street vendors" to make large profits.

squidlidink
squidlidink
479 posts
Farmer

actually Rick Steves from Rick Steves Europe is trying to legalize Marijuana. Sick isn't it? Personally I think drugs are bad for you and only sad people would want to legalize it.

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,192 posts
Herald

Well if any drug were to get legalize, I would hope it would be marijuana because it's not really bad for you. Every other drug is horrible, and can do harm to you, but I guess marijuana doesn't. Canyou image crystal meth, or heroine being legalized? That would be crazy and too many people would start getting messed up. Don't get me wrong I hate marijuana along with all the other drugs, even though it does nothing bad to you, it's probably the least harmful or even harmless.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I think certain drugs that don't have addictive properties are alright out in the open (marijuana, shrooms, acid). Then, what if they set up clinics for heroin users. I already like the free needle exchange to help decrease the spread of disease. So, why not pull them all in and give them heroin. They are addicted and rehab generally doesn't work unless THEY want to be done with it. This way they are off the streets.

Showing 1-15 of 948