ForumsPopular Media

Favorite Genre of music?

Posted Jan 11, '11 at 3:18pm

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,375 posts

(in addition to the above...)
apologies for double post

the first songs that people are able to mimic are the slower ones... so it stand to reason that it takes the least amount of skill to produce those melodies...

and metal music isn't to be confused w/ loud screaming and yelling and/or thrashing around... that's a genre/subgenre of its own (its whichever depending on your view)

or maybe i'm only privy to a select few metal bands that sound great while maintaining the fast paced guitar solos and epic vocals...

maybe

Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Nightwish
Van Canto
Kamelot
Epica
Heavenly
Symphony X

just misrepresent their metal genre and are great when they should suck...

Posted Jan 11, '11 at 3:23pm

jdoggparty

jdoggparty

5,957 posts

and metal music isn't to be confused w/ loud screaming and yelling and/or thrashing around... that's a genre/subgenre of its own (its whichever depending on your view)

That is my mistake. I have a friend who's like screamo, and so yeah that's what I think of as metal.

But metal is more like Metallica, and styx right?

Posted Jan 11, '11 at 3:26pm

thisisnotanalt

thisisnotanalt

10,092 posts

the first songs that people are able to mimic are the slower ones... so it stand to reason that it takes the least amount of skill to produce those melodies...

No, it doesn't. While technically they may be easier, power metal melodies aren't difficult to compose because they tend to consist of really fast playing chords with slow chord changes. Composition deserves to be considered as much as technicality.

maybe

Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Nightwish
Van Canto
Kamelot
Epica
Heavenly
Symphony X

just misrepresent their metal genre and are great when they should suck...

No, there's a lot more fantastic metal out there that isn't power metal. DX You have the wrong mentality here. There's plenty of great metal music out there.

Posted Jan 11, '11 at 3:35pm

Sonatavarius

Sonatavarius

1,375 posts

i was putting the subject into general terms because those that don't really listen to metal generalize it. i wasn't breaking it down into subgenres b/c the ones that listen to other types of music and just kind of look at metal as the "black sheep" (SA reference ....:3 ) of music don't get any deeper than the surface. i wasn't saying there was no metal but power metal (most of those bands have their fair share of non-power metal songs)... the only one i personally put a definite "class" on is Van Canto... and that would be a capella metal.

Posted Feb 9, '11 at 5:43am

leegrace

leegrace

38 posts

Each and every genre, i am die-hard fan of music.

Posted Feb 9, '11 at 6:48pm

Squidbears

Squidbears

653 posts

Metalcore/hardcore/deathcore and dubstep are my favorites

Posted Feb 10, '11 at 8:17pm

phsycomonkey

phsycomonkey

806 posts

atm Techno, switches around

Posted Feb 11, '11 at 4:47pm

FloraFana

FloraFana

5 posts

I must go with. K-pop and J-pop. Thats all i have to say. . .

Posted Feb 11, '11 at 6:57pm

Squidbears

Squidbears

653 posts

I'm into ska-punk right now too

Posted Feb 11, '11 at 8:47pm

Guitarstring

Guitarstring

53 posts

Alternative rock and I love indie bands because they're music is great.

Reply to Favorite Genre of music?

You must be logged in to post a reply!