ForumsNews and Feedback[AG3 Q&A] Merits

60 13872
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Let's keep all merit-related questions in here, m'kay?

• 60 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I have a little more info about points, etc., that I'll cover a little later.

TheMadHatter13
TheMadHatter13
4 posts
Nomad

I have noticed this too. It is either the mods and admins have tightened up the rules of what qualifies as a merit or they are just getting lazy and not giving them out. Personally. I want more merits!!!!

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Personally. I want more merits!!!!

cool story bro.

Perhaps you should try a bit harder then. While it does seem that fewer merits are handed out, partly because there are more stringent requirements on what qualifies, I have also been seeing fewer potentially merit-worthy comments as I scroll through game comments. Obviously it's a combination of increased requirements and mods not as actively searching, but I would say that is the minority of the issue. It just seems to me like most people aren't putting as much effort into reviews of late, and hence no merits for them.
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

The reaalll thing here is the reason why people want merits. It is the difference between:

- Wanting those elusive 25AP.
- Wanting to help the developer.

I must admit that recently, I posted a long review on that flying game with the hearts...and the comment was not merited - but I had the developer post a response to my comment on my profile. This was much more gratifying than 25AP...

Merit's aren't really needed...

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

or they are just getting lazy and not giving them out

I can tell you for a fact that it has nothing to do with laziness.
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Fewer merits are being handed out these days. I believe the standards weren't tight two years ago as they are now. Browsing through some archived web pages, old game comments and old profile comments I've come to see how one could attain the number of merits the so called Merit King has.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

the thing about merits is, more people aren't writing a merit-worthy comment to help the developer, they're just writing them to get a merit. People are just writing comments out of greed instead of wanting to help. I don't write long comments because the only reason i would write a long comment is to get a merit, and i don't want to be greedy.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I can tell you for a fact that it has nothing to do with laziness.

Maybe if we had more than seven moderators the system would actually be somewhat efficient. Right now there's quite a bit of pressure on the half of them that come on almost every day and award merits while still having to worry about every other mod issue.

People are just writing comments out of greed instead of wanting to help.

Or perhaps the merit is an insentive for people to help the developer. That's the way I see it.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

I also think of merits as an incentive. While I do not base writing reviews totally on the basis of merits, having merits as part of your stats card reflects that you have positively contributed to this site X amount of times. While the thought of merits isn't of any worth to me, it is good to record how many times an official thought your post is worthwhile.

Personally, I agree with Ernie on the basis of more mods, though it's not on the topic of merits. We need more than just half a handful. As hard as the mods are already working, the amount we have now simply cannot adapt to the future needs. Right now, everything is fine, as every meter on the site is CODE GREEN. We will get more recognition flowing for the developers to see and help them develop their skills with flash. If the review/merit system goes according to what Ian speculates, then said reviews will be shown more conspicuously, while more mods will point out to the developers which ones are worthwhile if you drift my catch.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Personally, I agree with Ernie on the basis of more mods, though it's not on the topic of merits. We need more than just half a handful.

I call it the "Double-Active Mod" theory: however many mods you need on the site, appoint twice as many. No matter how many mods you have, it seems like only half of them will actually stay active enough in their duties. This is why, if you appoint twice as many as you think you need, you'll have as many mods as you need. I've noticed this pattern only on this site. I doubt I'm the only one who has.

Mods are basically expendable. It isn't like you're on a mod-budget or anything.

But back on topic...

MERITS
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

I think at this point, folks, we may be doing away with merits, since the only thing we've been giving them out for are outstanding game reviews. Games will likely get their own "reviews" area in AG3, and the "karma" system will let users promote one another by "liking" something that was written. Achievements and points can be given to posts that have been liked by a high quantity of users.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Hmm...while I agree that that's primarily what merits are generally given for, I think we should still have a stat for them, whether it be the achievements won, or the reviews typed, we should have a counter in our stat card for the number received.

If it would change your mind about merits, it may be a good idea to discuss what could be added to the category. Aside from good reviews and contest winnings, there should be a couple different methods to receive a merit in.

KyahcoSukaimasutae
KyahcoSukaimasutae
311 posts
Nomad

hmm well i like the karma idea, but i agree with the merits even if you get no pionts, as some of us realy try to help the develiper. it is hard to program a game, and getting only "good" or "bad" comments does not help.

the review is a great idea and maybe adding a pro, con and summery type thing ie. one box for pros, one box for cons, and another for summery to make it so that you have to right a "review" and not a "good" or "bad" that is placed as if it was a review.

the karma system might make it still work to replace the "no piont merit" if like said

Hmm...while I agree that that's primarily what merits are generally given for, I think we should still have a stat for them, whether it be the achievements won, or the reviews typed, we should have a counter in our stat card for the number received.

you get a check or stat on the card, but please don't leave the good posters out because of the "bad" post, that is all.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

It's not that we want to leave anything out, it's a matter of redundancy. If we set up a new system where game reviews and regular old "good game" comments can be kept separate, then I think everyone wins. Game reviews can be "liked" by users, and once enough users rate something high enough, we'll find some way to make it stand out.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Perhaps have a 'vote this up/down' system? Or maybe an option to view only the highest ranked reviews?

Showing 31-45 of 60