Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

[AG3] how should name changes work?

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 6:01pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,964 posts

Knight

AG3 will probably let you change your username to something which another player hasn't already chosen (for those that ask, there *is* a player named '1337' on the system already).

The old AG2 system ties more information to your username than a unique identifier for your account, so changing your name on AG2 became a nearly impossible feat. On AG3, we're making sure to do everything with the unique identifier (which is common practice, and just plain good design, in my opinion), so a name change will be much easier.

The only thing is whether or how we notify other users that you've changed your name. Maybe we'll overlay your armatar with a small icon for a few weeks that indicates you've changed your name or something.

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 6:03pm

jezz

jezz

3,394 posts

The only name that I would like to use is Jess, because I really dislike people calling me Jezz, but I'm guessing that would be impossible because 'Jess' is already taken by a ghost account?

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 6:07pm

1337Player

1337Player

1,805 posts

I must sound like a weirdo because I posting too many things about name changing. Sorry?

So is this a thread where you can suggest changing your username?
If so then if you can delete the user "1337" I would like to change my username to that. If you can't delete the account then I would like for my username to be "7331".
/offtopicness maybe

So have you spoke with Dan about the idea?

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 6:17pm

Owen135731

Owen135731

2,200 posts

Well, what if our names were taken by inactive ghosts?

For example, I wouldn't mind mine to be Owen. However, that name is currently occupied by an inactive. Surely they don't plan on coming back to the site, if they haven't been here in 2 years? Perhaps if a name is request that has been taken by a ghost, you could send the ghost an email. And if the ghost says he doesn't care/ doesn't reply in a specified time frame, you could give away that name?

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 6:23pm

mrtim

mrtim

2,907 posts

I think you owen, that will be very hard. The person could have forgotten their e-mail add or something.

But what would happen to prevent confusion of name changes? so if I were to change my name to mr_tim - after a few weeks when the indicator goes, how will people know it is me? I may just as well be bad at this name, change my name, and then be good on my new name.

However, if you make some kind of history page, where it shows our previous names, then that is ok. Also if we change our name, only the person who changed their name can change it back to a prev one anytime they wish. EG: I change my name to mr_tim. Only I may change it back to mrtim, to avoid confusion.

I think the features you are putting on AG 3.0 are good so far - hope to see more new, unique ideas on it too!

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 6:24pm

BlackVortex

BlackVortex

1,401 posts

How many times would we be able to change it then?
Just once in total or whenever we want to? Cause it would get confusing I think..

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 6:27pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,346 posts

Knight

For the first time, I agree with you BV. It would make moderating REALLY hard if we had name changing. Not to mention, I don't have the brain space to keep up with a member being XYZ this week and ABC next week.

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 6:29pm

1337Player

1337Player

1,805 posts

How many times would we be able to change it then?

I think a reasonable amount would be to change your name one time. Since when you first make your account you think your username is fine. But then over the time you spend on AG you would like to change it. I would say to think really hard on what name you should change it to if you were only to change it once.

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 6:32pm

mrtim

mrtim

2,907 posts

I would suggest once every six months or so? or maybe you can only change it once. But if you going to change it, you cannot change it for a while then.

Posted Oct 4, '10 at 6:33pm

Owen135731

Owen135731

2,200 posts

I think you owen, that will be very hard

...What? I bet it's a really obviously spelling error and I am stupidly not seeing it -.-

Reply to [AG3] how should name changes work?

You must be logged in to post a reply!