ForumsNews and FeedbackArmor Games v3 Should have a chat system

19 8441
XSilentPhantomX
XSilentPhantomX
715 posts
Nomad

im not sure if this is a remake, but yeah. A instant chatting system like on facebook with those online, would be a remarkable edition for something such as this. With good direction, this could become even MORE of a social site.

• 19 Replies
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Chat servers take a lot of resources, and the sheer number of users we have online at a time would make a live chat scroll by so fast you wouldn't be able to read it. )

We have discussed the idea before though. We'll have ways to comment on things going on around the site, but a live chat isn't something we're considering right now.

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

i don't think that a chat system would be a good idea. AG will always be more of a gaming site than a social site. I mean, it still is a social site but a chat system would just be extra stuff that you don't need.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Oh, we'll be adding social aspects to the site in AG3, but a live chat would be too resource-heavy.

Perhaps a one-on-one chat, like the private chat that Facebook lets users do with one friend at a time, maybe, but not for launch.

25wes25
25wes25
1,584 posts
Nomad

What about a chat system that has multiple lobbies for community, each thread and each active topic the the creator attaches.

1,855 posts
Nomad

Perhaps a one-on-one chat, like the private chat that Facebook lets users do with one friend at a time, maybe, but not for launch.

That's what I was thinking. On my website, I have a one-on-one chat that is way more commonly used than the other chat room, because with the private chat, you can go on something, or play a game at the same time, while talking. Also, I think that they should get to talk on messages, but not chat, unless they're friends. Because a spammer would very likely talk to random people. But you could always stop that problem with a "block" button.
slayguy8
slayguy8
718 posts
Peasant

yeah i like the 1 on 1 idea it would help instead of waiting for comments and hi 201 sorry last part random

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

The 'one-on-one' version sounds good to me!

But for the 'open' version, I don't know... I've been to several chats before in the past and at one particular time SO many people would enter at the same time, that it would become completely clogged and you had to be Superman with his X-Ray eyes to read all the entries! @.@

My vote goes to the 'one-on-one' version! =)

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Well I guess we can say goodbye to CountingTime if we get 1-1 Chats!

That way we can gossip about certain users fufufufufufufu....

1-1 : all Community Chat: zero

Aside from the "so fast you cannot read the messages" problem, there's also the fact that some of the messages may be questionable. That was certainly a problem back then, and it will be a problem in the future ;(

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

I personally have nothing against a chat system. I believe by the time AG is able to implement a live chat system, it will be built on or hosted with an effective platform (differing from Meebo used for the last system) and it will be properly moderated this time. That is definitely not when AG3 is released.

As for "too many people entering at once", that's why you have separate chat rooms. Yes, I'm in favour of both suggestions.

Well I guess we can say goodbye to CountingTime if we get 1-1 Chats!

The only point CountingTime has is that we can all chat to each other simultaneously, in one place. Didn't you already realize that? If I only needed to chat to one person, I would of picked up their IM usernames already.
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

and the sheer number of users we have online at a time would make a live chat scroll by so fast you wouldn't be able to read it. )

On the old chat (Meebo) it wasn't crowded at all. There were different rooms for different ranks (though everyone who was cool hung out in serfs :b).

But yeah yeah, rather have a ton of other features than one where you can just keep a tab open to a third party site.

I personally have nothing against a chat system. I believe by the time AG is able to implement a live chat system, it will be built on or hosted with an effective platform (differing from Meebo used for the last system) and it will be properly moderated this time. That is definitely not when AG3 is released.

Always seems like you're writing an essay now.
1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

No, no, no, no. Armor Games isn't a social networking site. I say no tot the idea especially if it's a group chat where everyone can talk to each other in one chat. That would be chaotic. I just think this is a bad idea overall.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

What's your problem? Is Kongregate a social networking site? No. Can't you see where this site is being taken with social interaction?

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

What's your problem? Is Kongregate a social networking site? No. Can't you see where this site is being taken with social interaction?

My problem is that there are a lot of social ideas and those are fine, and I would like the 1 on 1 chat. All I'm saying is don't make an official AG chat room.
MrPockets
MrPockets
397 posts
Peasant

MrPockets sees no problem with a chat room, MrPockets would prefer a faster way to talk though

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

The only point CountingTime has is that we can all chat to each other simultaneously, in one place. Didn't you already realize that?

D'oh!

...it will be built on or hosted with an effective platform (differing from Meebo used for the last system) and it will be properly moderated this time.

How do you suppose it will be properly moderated? Since low moderation was one of the main causes to the axing of the chat room, how could this be counteracted in the future? More mods? Filters? Snitching?
Showing 1-15 of 19