ForumsNews and FeedbackNew flagging system

10 3715
leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

Sorry, but the flagging system really sucks.

If you told a moderator when was the last time they looked at a flag the chances are it wouldn't be this week. Or even month.

Basically here is my idea when you flag the comment you flagged will become a certain colour when moderators are looking through they will see the flagged comment and have a look.

To prevent the idea of people spamming flags I had a rank idea.

Basically you start at rank one. When you flag a comment it becomes grey. Moderators will not pay much attention to these because they are probably fake flags.

To achieve rank 2 you must for example have 100 flags correct and have had no more then 10 wrong. Your comments will turn a purple. Moderators will pay little attention to these.

To achieve rank 3 for example you must have 1000 flags correct and have had no more then 100 wrong. Your comments will be in pink. This is the basic level where moderators should normally have a look.

To achieve rank 4 for example you must have 5000 flags correct and no more then 500 wrong. Your comments will be in yellow, brownish. Moderators pay attention to these. If a flag is made wrong at this level and is completely wrong they go back to rank 3 and must start all their flags over. eg: Get 5000 flags again

To achieve rank 5 for example you must have 10,000 flags correct and no more then 500 wrong. Your comments will be in red. Moderators check these flags before all else. If a flag is wrong and you flagged without reason you will go back to rank 3 and have to start your flags again.

If there is two flagging the same thing they both get a correct flag.

Comments not flagged will be in normal.

Colours can be different and requirements can be different.

Also moderators don't have to give a correct flag deleting it automatically gives a flag.

Correct flags will be shown on profile. Doing an incorrect flag results in minus one flag (on profile).

If you don't like that one just please make a better flagging system. I posted this in the S&S forum and people said it was like NG's system. If so then don't use it. I have never been to NG to comment in my life.

• 10 Replies
SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

good idea, but honestly who would flag 1,000+ comments? as you said, that should be changed to lower values to give people an incentive instead of a unreachale hope.

Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

I agree the flagging system does suck.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Honestly, that is kind of complicated, Leo. Can't you just flag the comment or post because it is spam or anything regarding breaking the rules, and just get it deleted?

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

good idea, but honestly who would flag 1,000+ comments? as you said, that should be changed to lower values to give people an incentive instead of a unreachale hope.

Well, take a look at NG's blam and save system.. This suggestion reminds me of the blam and save and the whistle systems of NG.
cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

@leo99rules, thanks for the thorough idea. We're looking to implement something similar to this, as well as a "karma" sort of system (which needs a better name). We'll build all of that into a system where users might have limited access to leaving messages/comments if their "karma" goes bad. It's still in the discussion phase, but we'll definitely consider what you've shared here.

I do agree with @SirNoobalot that the counts may be a little high, but we'll have to talk to the moderators as well about what they'd like the workflow to look like so their job is easier at finding and dealing with the messages.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Can't you just flag the comment or post because it is spam or anything regarding breaking the rules, and just get it deleted?

That's dangerous ground and makes for bully fodder. Public messages should only be deleted by moderators (or admins).
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

@Cormyn

Eh, those are rep systems right?.. I heard a rep/karma system being suggested a few months ago but that was shot down quickly.. People here have a knack at shooting down suggestions.

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

or maybe if enough people flag it ( say 2 for yellow, 5 for red, 10 for purple, etc.) then it turns a different color and definetly needs attention.

leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

As I said. This is my flag system.

My guess is it will not be used but it is just an idea to "Get the ball rolling"

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

we'll probably make it invisible after a certain number of users flag it, and let the mods take it from there.

Showing 1-10 of 10