ForumsNews and FeedbackProfile Activity Feeds...

10 4565
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

This is the start of a separate new thread on the Profile Activity Feeds (PAF for short) that will be used on the new AG3 coming...
...it's in a separate thread because the question came up while debating another topic.

My initial question was:

I'll be trying to lift the courtain a bit here... :P

What will that 'new system for activities and achievements' be like?

Is it something like a list of what the user has been doing and what he/she has achieved lately?
...again something like the system used in FaceBook where you have a shortlist, am I right?

... ... ...

Cormyn's reply :
Yeah, it'll be a similar sort of "feed" of game activity, people submitting high scores or getting achievements, who's playing right now, that sort of thing.

We may introduce a "game reviews" area where users will be required to write a minimum number of words for a thorough game review (so we don't get short comments) as a feed, etc. And we're looking at ways to publish those bits of data as RSS feeds as well, in case you want to watch high scores for a particular game, or whatever.

Sorry, I forgot to specifically answer you about user feeds, too:

Your public profile page can also show your activity as well, like which games you've played, scores you submitted, the castle you built today, etc.

We'll have filtering in place so you can pick and choose (to some degree) which pieces of information you want to see (or not), who's activity you see (or not), things like that.

@MrDayCee, If you have more questions about how the activity feeds may work, please start a new thread for it so we stay on topic here.
  • 10 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I'm very curious about that feed... is it going to be showing ALL of your activity or just parts of what you've 'been up to' on AG?

I mean... surely the PM activity won't be included, nore would the emails towards AG-HQ for instance, to name some points... right? :/

More stuff like what you stated... games played, highscores achieved, changes made in profile, befriended with '...', rank gained/dropped, etc., etc...

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

I had a similar idea back in GetSatisfaction, where the actions you perform in AGi will directly affect your standing in AG3. Lemme find the details....brace yourself!

[quote=Freakenstein]
3: Something that doesn't have as much detail as the others would be "link AGi directly into 3.0's system", where actions that you do in AGi would affect your standing in the community. I might have a couple of ideas as to how to proceed with this.

3-2: I don't really have a couple of suggestions for this, as this is something I'm not familiar with, but I do have one good one to share. Every website has their own set of perks. Kongregate has achievements and badges for example. Everyone keeps saying that if we also do this, we won't be original as a website and a community as a whole. We should have a perk too, besides Armor Points. Something medieval to suit the taste of Armor Games. For now, let's call this perk "quests". You can have this perk with every game made by Armor Games, or just a select few. Anyways. Somewhere along the way in a game you can have the opportunity to gain AP or open a treasure chest for treasure. This is quite off the top of my head, but it's quite lucrative. In this game, you have a series of scenarios that you do that pertain to this game. When completed, you have this treasure chest appear, I guess with the 3.0 logo or something, and it will say "click to reap your rewards!" This could be in the form of AP, some sort of relic pertaining to that game, or something else that you may think up yourself, but anyway, have this directly linked to the community and have your rewards given to you on your profile.

3-3: With this, you can add another category as a way of getting AP, which could be "quests completed" or "treasure chests opened", or "relics received". It would be quite fun for users to be a part of this idea and would spur game playing, thus, more reviews of said game, promoting more ideas given to the developers. [/quote]

In a nutshell, what you do in games, whether it be highscores, certain completions of games, achievements, checkpoints, yadda yadda, will all be in your stats page in your profile to be looked at by other members. This is all basically to reinforce gaming in Armor Games.

To be Frank, and I AM Frank... any gaming on this site has been reduced to those with highscores and new games that haven't been rated yet. What I had in mind is something that would be beneficial to you if you sat down and played the games offered to you in some way! Something like what was posted in 3-2 and 3-3 that would give you a sense of accomplishment when you completed a game.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

The short answer: we have a number of "activities" that can occur while you're on the site, playing games. These activities can publish to your public user feed, where your friends and followers can see what you're up to, maybe "like" them, comment on them, etc.

Games themselves will have automatic feeds about people creating content (like new castles in Crush The Castle), or people submitting high scores, which will publish to the game's play page.

Some content will overlap. For example, if you make a new level in Lightbot 2, it would publish a link to that content both on your user profile page for your friends/followers, and also to the game's play page.

One thing we could do along with the whole 'merit' system overhaul is award merits for outstanding game content creation, besides just flagging it as a "staff pick" like we've done for a handful of games so far.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

YES! I'd like to award a merit for something other than just comments.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

^ Welcome change from all usual comment sifting I see. Hmm.. The activity feeds is something I am looking out for.

Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Merits should be given to anything that contributes to the community or the site forum posts/threads/contest/reviews ect..

BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

Looks like AG3 is going to be the complete opposite of AG2.
Not Simple to use and not very easy on the eye either, I feel as if AG3 will be cluttered with loads of features, and also will be too social network-y.

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

@BlackVortex, we're looking at ways to combine some social features while keeping the same simple layout. Yes, there will be additional things on the screen, but we don't like clutter either.

BlackVortex
BlackVortex
1,360 posts
Nomad

I'm not arguing your site creating skills, just seems like there are alot of features to cram into the site xP
But the whole profile feed thing seems a little bit too far, maybe It's just me but I honestly don't care if someone just beat a score on crush the castle or whatever, I guess I'll just wait till It's released before I start complaining..

Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

Sounds like a good idea. A profile Feed and some achievements!

I like the idea.

Showing 1-10 of 10