Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

Soopah-Doopah Stickies:

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 3:44pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,220 posts

While I agree that the fundamental parts of the site must be read to avoid any needless discussion, the last thing as a flash game site is to have the members scared off because we were too hard on the rules for them. It almost sounds orthodox. Activity and traffic is what this site needs.

-- Make the stickies substantially noticeable.

-- When a user wishes to make a new thread, prompt the user to read the stickies first by stating "Be sure to read the stickies or FAQ's before posting!". Make this substantially noticeable as well. Somewhere above or below the "post thread" button should suffice.

-- When (and if) a user does ask a question or posts something that suggests he or she did not read the stickies, simply lock the thread, but not before stating that the user read the stickies for further information. Some heightened awareness needs to be in order for the regulars so they don't blurt out the answers.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 3:55pm

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

One idea would be to auto-generate some private messages to the user when they log in for the first time, so they can see important messages to read about how to access FAQ's, help, etc.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 3:57pm

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

If I may: Having the questions in the start, and then keep FAQs and stickies to a minimum (I think most of us mods are tired of having a thousand stickies around) wouldn't scare people off to me. But smacking them in the face all the time with the rules would. I wouldn't make a thread if I had to look at "did you read the STICKIES/FAQ? If not, please GO READ THE STICKIES/RULES."
First way would make people aware of how they should act (I am not saying it should be some giant rulebook, it should just be pointers like "How many words would be the minimum in a post?" or "Mods are awesome y/n/we".

I still think we ought to optimize the stickies/FAQ/rules -
http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/imonit.jpg
and point newbies towards it, but we are talking about people who have grown a habit of not even reading the descriptions for the different section at times.
Idk. I'm tired.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 10:28pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,072 posts

Knight

And then there is always what Zophia and I have suggested throughout time: To actually have a sheet of questions you need to answer correctly before you can use your account.

Sorry, this sounds like a forum turn off. Nobody wants to do homework just to make an account, even if the questions are easy. = /

The members here aren't really that bad when it comes to rules... maybe I just don't notice because members don't bother me much and because I don't lurk the help and suggestions much. The members here have been pretty good when it comes to pushing unwritten rules on new members, including the "no making clubs in the tavern" rule.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 10:34pm

Holden012

Holden012

1,964 posts

I think this would be great ... The stickies will stand out more and maybe even newbies will actually read them!

Newbies post for example a Halo Topic when there's already a sticky for anything Halo Related.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 10:38pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,072 posts

Knight

One idea would be to auto-generate some private messages to the user when they log in for the first time, so they can see important messages to read about how to access FAQ's, help, etc.

I like this idea the most. The stickies have a thumb tack and bold lettering. What more can we add? People are NOT having problems finding these stickied topics, they are just too lazy to read through them.

You will always have people asking questions that are already answered in the stickies. It is unavoidable. It's up to the mods and members of the site to redirect those people to the answers they seek.

Think about it, it's an opportunity to help new members. This is your chance to stand out as a helpful person and look awesome in front of the members, and more importantly, us mods. ; )

Not trying to hint at anything.
Not making any promises.
Just saying.

Posted Oct 6, '10 at 12:01am

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

Perhaps helpful posts to help new users could garner you some karma points ... what we don't want is a slew of users replying meanly with "read the FAQs n00b"

Posted Oct 6, '10 at 12:02am

cormyn

cormyn

2,863 posts

Knight

... as judged by mods or other users. I've seen this sort of thing in other forums, and systems where users can vote on the best reply to a question.

Posted Oct 6, '10 at 12:20am

25wes25

25wes25

317 posts

karma points sounds good cormyn good idea!

Posted Oct 6, '10 at 12:45am

Holden012

Holden012

1,964 posts

I agree with 25wes.

Karma points sounds good.

For a nice comment or post towards a noob = +1 Karma Point?

For a Mean Comment or Post = -1 Karma Point?

Encourages being nice towards others.

Reply to Soopah-Doopah Stickies:

You must be logged in to post a reply!