ForumsNews and FeedbackIdeas for the AG3 forums

34 8070
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Correct me if I'm wrong but with the advent of AG3 will come the advent of the forums being 'revamped' so to speak. So, based on other ideas i've seen and a proportion of my own, I've come up with some suggestions/ideas for what I'll call F3 ('cos I'm a nerd like that):

-Different color scheme choices E.G red, blue, black and gold (not really a big deal but it just increases that 'ersonalized' feel of the forums and helps satisfy the desires of some people who complain about the current color-scheme being an eye-sore. NOTE: I refer to the color-scheme as the white background AND the actual colors of links, text, etc.)
-greater interaction between the users profile and what appears underneath their name when they post on the forum. Currently it's just your post count and rank but I see room for expansion to include age, gender, etc if that person wanted to.
-Increased coverage of BBcodes - we do certainly have the basics such as bold, italics, link, image and quote BUT things such as spoiler (great in threads about certain movies, books, etc), post (for post linking - useful in situations where a specific post has relevant information to a topic of discussion but may be too long to quote without taking up loads of space) and list (obviously good for listing things) are not covered at the minute and would be advantageous to the community as a whole.

I welcome feedback on my suggestions and any ideas to better them. I'd also welcome some new ideas to add to mine to prevent this thread from growing stale too quickly.

• 34 Replies
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Let me add that we direly need better character rendering support!

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

As we've covered in the past week or so, yes, the forums will be rebuilt (as an engine), but we're undecided if we'll build something ourselves, or integrate a third-party forum engine.

Different color scheme choices

Probably won't be a high priority.

greater interaction between the users profile

How would showing the user's age/gender/etc in the forums be beneficial? We could see about having a pop-up block when you hover over a user's armatar with some of that info, maybe.

Increased coverage of BBcodes

I think our current AG2 forum BBcode interaction was hand-coded by the guy who made the forum engine, which could explain its limited usability. Since I don't know how we're going to be revamping the forums yet, I can't really comment as to how much BBcode support there will be.

better character rendering support

could you explain a little more?
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Certain characters get displayed very oddly on the forums - a number of 'accented' letters for example like: ä ç ë ø Šŵ ū

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

Ah, so UTF-8 support then? I believe everything in AG3 will be UTF-8 capable, but we'll probably restrict usernames to be low-ASCII alphanumerics.

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Fair enough. That's one potential problem sorted then.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

Ah, so UTF-8 support then? I believe everything in AG3 will be UTF-8 capable, but we'll probably restrict usernames to be low-ASCII alphanumerics.

I've been calling for UTF-8 support for a long time now.. That should do.. Thanks. I believe alphanumerics are enough for usernames.. Will you be reintroducing the allowance of underscores?

could you explain a little more?

UTF-8 support.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Smartquote-able, maybe? Took me a while to realize that the entire block and accents were just one quote, which took some getting used to. It makes copied sources challenging to read.

When I mean smart quote-able, I mean the realistic quotes from Word.

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Will AG3 allow users to doodle with the correct pixel count in the arts forums? I would like to draw illustrations for stories and poetry. I'll wait until version 3 comes out if this feature is considered.

Holden012
Holden012
1,989 posts
Nomad

Will users get to change their timezone ... So they don't get confused?

cormyn
cormyn
2,892 posts
Nomad

@holden012 yes, this is already being worked on. Ultimately, all data will be stored in the database based on California's time zone, but adjusted for users based on their browser.

@wajor59 we'll very likely let you keep posting images in your forum posts. I don't know what you mean by &quotixel count".

Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

Um, a sports forum. I know all the haters just classify it to popular media or just stick it in the Tavern, but you must admit, sports are a major fabric of American life, it can connect ties and strengthen bonds, unite regions and divide friends. Really, sports are much more than "water cooler talk". They have as much impact on our society, if not more, the politics and music.

TheKenseY
TheKenseY
70 posts
Nomad

I really don't like current comment system, any "review" goes to waste, as there aren't many people read through all comment pages but only what writes under game.

To make it short, I demand a review section for each game, separated from comments. Of course there will be rules for posting a review ( common sense stuff ) and automatic check for minimum characters, repeating phrases ( SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM ), as there won't be many that posts reviews it'll be easier to moderate and finding merit worthy posts.

Don't care how much AP will it be giving, I just want the review section.

Don't mind how much points this re

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

A few other people (including myself) have been suggesting your idea so I have good faith.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I think you guys should add a technology forum. Where people can talk about new laptops, Apple products, space technology. Etc.
Does that seem like a good idea?

25wes25
25wes25
1,584 posts
Nomad

think you guys should add a technology forum. Where people can talk about new laptops, Apple products, space technology. Etc.

Nice i like that idea a lot!!!
Showing 1-15 of 34