Forums

ForumsNews, Feedback and Suggestions

[AG3 idea] Deleted Username Lottery

Thread Locked

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 6:26pm

mrtim

mrtim

2,052 posts

If we had AP as currency, people like Firetail madness would win, and others would spam to win it.

I can't really think of a good reason to use a lottery system to change names, hence I agree with Freakenstein. I liked the idea of "one userchange per 6 months" idea much better than this. That way is much faster than the lottery way, as I suspect that you can enter yourselves after you won another 3/6 months or so? So maybe its around same time you can change your name, but its not guaranteed.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 6:28pm

Avorne

Avorne

3,224 posts

What about a 'real' auction - buy a form of Armor Currency using real money (Call it Armor Credits maybe?) - these credits could then be used in the auctioning of usernames, attaining special armatars and so on. Of course, the advantage of this is that it brings much needed extra money into the site although the downside would be the initial time and cost required to get such a system running.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 6:30pm

knight_34

knight_34

11,455 posts

What? Argh, I'll completely stay away actual paying to change my username. I'm glad to buy AG products and such but to change my username?

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 6:31pm

Avorne

Avorne

3,224 posts

Meh, it works. It would stop the name-change spammers that you often get on boards with completely free and open username-changes.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 6:38pm

knight_34

knight_34

11,455 posts

That is why I suggest something Cormyn also mentioned in a post of his: a karma/rep requirement to changing your username. It should at least be high enough to keep out spammers/trolls long enough that action will be taken against them.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 6:43pm

locoace3

locoace3

1,610 posts

a karma thing would be nice and depending on qualities of posts there will be a little thing on the side of the profile shower thing when you post it will have this

good poster:
+
-
troll/noob:
+
-

and only mods can change the karma button

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 6:45pm

knight_34

knight_34

11,455 posts

Some karma/rep (I prefer the term rep) systems I have seen enable other users to give rep to each other. To prevent sockpuppet abuse I believe there should be some requirements to give out karma/rep.

Sockpuppet abuse is always rampant here on AG.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 6:47pm

locoace3

locoace3

1,610 posts

Sockpuppet

uh?

also the requirement should probably a certain amount of karma and if if a mod see's a usual troller when he/she is patrolling the forums they can just take away the ability to change karma levels indefinitely

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 7:04pm

knight_34

knight_34

11,455 posts

The proper term for creating numerous alternate accounts to support yours is sockpuppeting. The Merit Recognition was taken down because users sockpuppeted by making alts and nominating themselves. Referrals were taken down because people make numerous sockpuppet accounts to give themselves referral points.

Think of a puppeteer controlling multiple puppets.

Posted Oct 5, '10 at 7:06pm

locoace3

locoace3

1,610 posts

well we can always lmit number of karma points  able to distribute by someone,certain amount of karma (high preferably),or the only mods option